Near useless profiles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Tari Landar wrote:

I use the cam controls a lot too, lol. I'm not sure why your camera controls in fs look huge or have anything else attached to them, though. My cam controls box is the same size it has always been. It offers a few newer features it didn't have before, but the box size is no bigger and it isn't attached to anything. I always keep it in the same spot too(botton little bit to the left oy my center) and it's never more obstructive than the old one was. I'm not sure what tabs you're talking about either. Could you explain that a bit?sounds weird to most people, but not being able to see things properly can make adapting to changes really difficult.

I just went in world to take a screen shot of the weirdo camera controls and...they showed up normally. *Scratching my head* Then I remembered....the first time I used FS I went in with an alt so I could concentrate fully on all the selections to read/change.  I first checked "Phoenix mode" at the login screen and entered.  I apparently didn't pull up the camera controls at that time, not sure why since I always use them.

After setting up FS kind of like I wanted it...it will never look exactly like Phoenix (bah!) I then entered with Czari WITH Phoenix mode still checked and...it was back to the v3 look!!!  While I was staring dumbfounded at my screen I received an IM from my SL brother (took me awhile to find it...heard the dinging but with all the other stuff floating around on the screen...it was a mess...anyway) and began ranting to him.  (He's used to it...lol.)  He said that FS (and maybe the v3 LL viewers, no idea) store settings per avatar, not per account like in v1 viewers so even though I had "Phoenix Mode" checked before I logged in, I had to relog (apparently uncheck and recheck the box) for each avatar.  Okkkkaaaayyyy.

Before I did that was when I pulled up the camera controls so I was apparently seeing them in v3 FS mode, at which time I began MORE ranting, leading to my brother sending the workaround (which I never used).  I haven't logged back into FS until just now with Czari so NOW it's in Phoenix mode for that avatar and the cam controls are like normal.  This is just all too weird for my taste.

I'm glad you got me to look again, Tari, in case I have to use FS for some reason at some time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I'm glad you got me to look again, Tari, in case I have to use FS for some reason at some time.

Oh I completely understand, sorry I snipped most of the post, haha. When I first started using firestorm my first thought was....w..t...h....I hated it, as bad as the official viewers which I also hated. Then I looked in the settings and realized I could make it look like phoenix. I have been happy ever since. I love fs and how adaptable it truly is. I haven't tried singularity but I do know that others have said it's on par in that area. One of these days I'll try it out, just for fun.

Not that I don't adapt to change, I do, and I accept that change is important. There are just some things very difficult for me to adapt to and a UI, or generally a screen I can see, is one of those things. Not just because of habit-though I'd prefer to blame habit, but visually, I like being able to adapt it to not only what I want but what I need. Some days, I really can't see much of anything, and I do have to rely on habit and other programs to get what I need done. There are some things programs can't help me with though, much of sl is like that.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

another bonus for you Phil : you'll get me soon in your home for the tantrum.... 

well still the half of the Chanel to cross... mffff.... I should have better taken a boat....blah.....

edit : typo

Take your time, Trinity. I'm off to bed now so you have plenty of time to finish crossing the channel and make your way north before I get up again 
:)

Well Phil... im afraid we will have to delay the tantrum for some days... while i was swimming till your country i met a beautiful sailing boat with a charming sailor on board... and well... now we are sailing till Bahamas for now....He didnt asked for a tantrum yet :smileywink:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Melita, I think you and I shared a love of Phoenix.  When you feel like it, I STRONLY suggest you try Singularity; it is the closest to Phoenix of any of the TPVs I've tried to date and I absolutely LOVE it...and that's a lot for me to say.

I have yet to try a TPV actually. 

I'm skeevy about who would have my info, to be honest. 

And the thing that happened with a certain TPV in the past...didn't help that qualm.

I've heard good things about how some of the TPV work. Just haven't got past my hurdle yet.

I'll second that with another thumbs up for Singularity.

After giving the most recent Firestorm an extensive 2 month run I was being driven round the bend by it's remarkable bloatware. that was slowing down up my entire SL experience. Don't read me wrong, I have nothing but admiration and respect for the Phoenix / Firestorm team who managed to turn LLs pigs ear of a viewer into a more silky purse. However Firestorm (even with it's phoenix style interface) is sooo packed with features and tweakable bitz that it was having a detrimental effect on my system in spite of  several clean installs etc.

So when I  gave Singularity a spin I could hardly believe how smooth and problem free it is. Everything that I appreciated from the old 1.23 viewer was there and functioning beautifully. Tweaking the preferences  is also a delight because  they don't need to be accompanied with a 1,000 page wiki and daily tutorials to help  users understand what does what. I did go back to Firestorm to compare running my regular productivity  tasks (mainly  photographic) with Singularity.

Conclusion after the most recent test....

Singularity is now my main viewer of choice and I hope and pray the clever team will continue to keep it nice and simple as it is and resist adding all the whistles and balloons that the othger team love to build in.

So Phil if your looking for a viewer that does what you have always enjoyed and you have a  luddite tendency like me , give it a spin

^L^

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

another bonus for you Phil : you'll get me soon in your home for the tantrum.... 

well still the half of the Chanel to cross... mffff.... I should have better taken a boat....blah.....

edit : typo

Take your time, Trinity. I'm off to bed now so you have plenty of time to finish crossing the channel and make your way north before I get up again 

Well Phil... im afraid we will have to delay the tantrum for some days... while i was swimming till your country i met a beautiful sailing boat with a charming sailor on board... and well... now we are sailing till Bahamas for now....He didnt asked for a tantrum yet :smileywink:

That's ok as long as he doesn't get the tantrum that is due to *me*. Have fun in the Bahamas and bring me a stick of rock back (non-UK people won't understand that).

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

I've never had a problem with profiles loading. Is it slower than the old style, by a second or two maybe...

The speed that web-based profiles load varies, from just a few seconds (still slower than the old type profiles) to not at all, and various times in between.

lol. I don't claim to have a Luddite tendency, Lasher, but I think I will give Singularity a spin. I'm not a TPV fan at all - not just for the sake of not using LL's viewer, that is. And, in the past, I realised that the Phoenix people were adding lots of little things just because they could, and not because they were particularly useful - something similar to what you were saying. A few things are very useful, such as being able to get the UUID of a rezzed object (that's useful to me), and people like the radar, although I still say that it's not a radar at all - not in the way that we are/were used to radars. So I have occasional use for a TPV, even though my main viewer is the LL one, and, on the strength of your write-up, and comments by a few others in this thread,I'll give Singularity a spin. I'll go and get it right now.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

I've never had a problem with profiles loading. Is it slower than the old style, by a second or two maybe...

The speed that web-based profiles load varies, from just a few seconds (still slower than the old type profiles) to not at all, and various times in between.

It's not just the speed but also the GUI. 

Me:   "Now with the Web Based profiles I actually will have to open 10 different web pages to view in detail a person's Picks.  We've made it more work, not less."

Torley Linden's response:  "I soundly agree. Not to mention that the "old way" also loaded faster than waiting for each web page to refresh. I don't surf picks much anymore due to this. You're not alone in observing this awkwardness, and I'll be sure to bring this issue up (again) the next opportunity I have!"

LINK

Melita Magic wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Melita, I think you and I shared a love of Phoenix.  When you feel like it, I STRONLY suggest you try Singularity; it is the closest to Phoenix of any of the TPVs I've tried to date and I absolutely LOVE it...and that's a lot for me to say.

I have yet to try a TPV actually. 

I'm skeevy about who would have my info, to be honest. 

And the thing that happened with a certain TPV in the past...didn't help that qualm.

I've heard good things about how some of the TPV work. Just haven't got past my hurdle yet.

If it helps, I've been using a TPV since about 3 months into SL - first the former Nicholaz Viewer then Phoenix and I've now tried FS (w/Phoenix interface), CoolVL Viewer, and my current favorite - Singularity.  In other words, in 5 1/2 years of being in SL & using a TPV, I've never had any security issues.  Emerald is the viewer that had a few less than scrupulous people on their staff.  I never used Emerald (I think I was still using Nicholaz at the time) but that is the only viewer I've ever heard of that had issues.  I can understand the concern, but a HUGE number of people use TPVs (in fact, the official viewer use was running behind Phoenix & FS before Phoenix was no longer supported) and if there was an issue, we'd be hearing about it on the forums. :)

Wait...I just thought of something...I could have sworn you said in other posts you use Phoenix and were going to continue using it as long as possible, although I could have you confused with someone else.

Lasher Oh wrote:

I'll second that with another thumbs up for Singularity.

After giving the most recent Firestorm an extensive 2 month run I was being driven round the bend by it's remarkable bloatware. that was slowing down up my entire SL experience. Don't read me wrong, I have nothing but admiration and respect for the Phoenix / Firestorm team who managed to turn LLs pigs ear of a viewer into a more silky purse. However Firestorm (even with it's phoenix style interface) is sooo packed with features and tweakable bitz that it was having a detrimental effect on my system in spite of  several clean installs etc.

So when I  gave Singularity a spin I could hardly believe how smooth and problem free it is. Everything that I appreciated from the old 1.23 viewer was there and functioning beautifully. Tweaking the preferences  is also a delight because  they don't need to be accompanied with a 1,000 page wiki and daily tutorials to help  users understand what does what. I did go back to Firestorm to compare running my regular productivity  tasks (mainly  photographic) with Singularity.

That was my impression re: all the bloatwear, etc.  I spent another hour or so working with it last night until my eyes were crossing.  Logging back into SL with Singularity was a delight.

Adding you to my "Luddite and Proud" group. Oh wait, I don't have one...maybe I should start that group. ;)

Phil Deakins wrote:

Obviously, Torley's opinion carries no weight with the brain-dead decision-makers.

It almost feels like he has been silenced.  He is still the "voice" on the help videos but he know longer opens with his signature line, "Friendly greetings, Torley Linden here."

And he no longer interacts with us in the Forum.

He does post occasionally in the feeds, but that is mainly 'destinations' type stuff.

Melita Magic wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I now have my alt using Singularity, and everything is good. I'll stick with it at least for the alt.

How does one have more than one viewer on a given machine and yet retain dual log in capability with each?

(Well, sometimes it's necessary.)

I have three viewers currently installed on my PC.  They each install to a different directory so that isn't a problem. One thing that was recommended to me and I have always done is to create a new folder for the cache of each viewer.  For example, on my PC's C:/ drive I have folders labeled: Phoenix Cache, FS Cache, Singularity Cache.  When I log into SL for the first time, I go to the Network (I think that's it...not in world at the moment) tab under preferences and reset the default location for the cache to the folder that I created.  (I also put my chat logs in a different location than the viewer default, but don't want to get too bogged down here.)

Now that I have a more powerful PC, I can open more than one instance of SL at a time which is VERY useful for builders trying to set up couples poses in furniture.  I can either open up two instances of SL in the same viewer or use a different viewer for each.  I only have one monitor so I can either use the window command to "Cascade Windows" or show the two windows side by side, or (what I mostly do) is just click back and forth between the viewer icons on my task bar.

If you have several different viewers installed, you need to ensure you check "allow multiple instances" (or whatever the viewer calls it) for each different viewer. The setting doesn't differentiate between different types of viewer that are running (or trying to) when that particular viewer is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.