Abuse? Indirect harassment? Solutions very much requested!

dollihead

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So im a member of an RP community, and whilst i know that sometimes IC drama can occur, theres this woman who seems insistent on trying to cause drama between me and other members. Basically, this started when the IC character i play stole her IC secret boyfriend. Since then, she's been nothing but trouble.

She has actively told people not to roleplay with me, has attempted to either bully them or manipulate them into not roleplaying with me, and even at my wedding decided she would show up with a baby and say it was his in an attempt to cause trouble. Now, i know the difference between IC and OOC, and most of her actions have been directly OOC... in fact, the majority of the time she's been attempting to slander me behind my back has been OOC. She's even gone as far as to repeatedly move her rental house near to mine so she can see the people i roleplay with and try to bully them out of it. she's told people not to RP with me at least 3 times that ive been told about, and when she does see me roleplaying with someone, she berates them OOCly in their ims, sometimes for as long as a few hours. naturally, that puts people off playing with me.

I tried speaking to her about it a while back, but if i so much as try now, it's ignored. The guy in question told her that it wasnt an exclusive  relationship and that it was only IC, and she said she was fine with that. until she started acting unreasonably hostile towards me and the first instance of her telling someone not to roleplay with me (that they told me about), and then they broke it off because she was clearly mixing IC and OOC.

Other than that, like i said, theres very little point in muting her since she isnt doing it directly at me, but i know a lot of people who are getting pretty fed up with it, and wanted to know if there was something could be done... .muting her is fine, after all, until she talks to someone new and it starts all over again.

Thing is, whilst this is causing me a lot of hassle, is there anything i can do? i personally think that her behaviour is against the community standards, but because shes not directly doing it at me, can i report her for this? or at least do SOMETHING?

I'm sorry, but I think LL will simply regard this as a dispute between residents and ignore it if you AR her for harassment or whatever.   Nothing wrong with ARing her, of course, but I am pretty sure LL won't be interested.

Not that I am well-up on RP communities, but I think in your position, I would complain to whoever is running the RP, and encourage others to do the same, about her unreasonable behaviour.

And that doesn't work, I think mute her and find another community, encouraging like-minded friends to accompany you.   That's not ideal, I know, but I think it's the only available solution, and possibly when the people running the existing community realise she's driving people out, they'll get rid of her instead.

i had a strong suspicion this might be the case. It'd normally not bother me, if she was doing it simplu at me, but she seems determined now to try and spike as much of a problem onto others who rp with me. I'm not leaving the sim, im far too established here to let her drive me away like that... i suppose i was just hoping for more of a repercussion to occur for her vindictive behaviour.

I dunno. If you "Steal something from someone" Why would you not expect a certain level of drama concerning the "theft" of a boyfrined? Weather it is role play or not. Maybe she is doing an awesome by playing the role of a hurt ex GF that was hurfuly tossed aside?

Role Play Drama. Intense lol

Good luck with it lol

again, like i said, I'd be fine with it if it were IC. If she was playing a role with it, i'd be perfectly fine with it.. however, when shes doing it OOC, its no longer a part of the story and therefore not okay.

Said 'hurt ex gf' was also made aware of the non-exclusive nature of their storyline relationship, was just the same with other men, and still acts this way. I'm not a **bleep**, im genuinely not the sort of person who would do that if was an exclusive relationship and they were involved beyond the storyline, i'd have never have done anything.

if they are breaking the RP rules of that community ..then have an admin of that community step in..

if enough are seeing this as a problem as well..they should go as well..

i mean if you are there to RP and someone is not going by thier rules..that's what admins are for..

if they don't handle it or just shrug it off and it's a big enough issue that it wrecks your experience..

well ..i would be looking for elsewhere to enjoy myself..

it just depends on how much you are willing to put up with or not in a choice like that i guess..

I will never understand why some people get so butthurt over RP and take all the bitterness to OOC. Write down all her filthy attempts to cause you trouble in a notecard and send it to the admins/GMS.  Call for a meeting in necessesary. If the RP sim doesn't have rules to ensure the safety and privacy of their roleplayers, then maybe it doesn't deserve your time and stress. 

Information:

Only a minority of SL users are role-players - probably only a tiny minority. So the chances are that most people won't understand IC and OOC. I certainly didn't when I read your post, but realisation dawned on me a long way into this thread. In general it's better to spell things out, so that most people can understand what you're talking about.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Information:

Only a minority of SL users are role-players - probably only a tiny minority. So the chances are that most people won't understand IC and OOC. I certainly didn't when I read your post, but realisation dawned on me a long way into this thread. In general it's better to spell things out, so that most people can understand what you're talking about.

I thought they were talking about Pink Unicorns and going to the dentist.

Silly Google.

ooc

ooc-lang.org/‎
OOC. your teeth will shine. ooc is a programming language with objects, first-class functions, and pink unicorns. rock is an ooc compiler that generates C99.

Dan1el Serendipity wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

the non-understanding of IC and OOC must be very widespread.

Most forum users seem to have considerable problems understanding even the simplest of words.

Especially in sentences of over nine words.

It's having to concentrate that long that messes with their heads.

Now we all know what value your posts are in this forum lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.