I think I am being Hacked

madelini

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I have been told that I am seen online but when I am messaged no reply then quickly seen as offline!!!

The times that this happening, I do know for a fact that I am not even near a computer. I had a message today saying that I was with a group of people that spammed someone. Now I can say my technological skills are very limited...

And I am just shocked that this has apparently happened. I am at a loss as to what to do. I have changed passwords numerous times and this just keeps happening. Any help would be appreciated.

As I don't have a vindictive personality at all.

Maddie

If you haven't noticed anything else untoward -- no suspicious transactions and no attempts to change your password -- I would strongly suspect this is simply SL acting up.   Under some circumstances it can take up to about 30 minutes, I think, for the fact someone has gone offline to propagate round the grid, and if one of your friends has a poor connection, that could certainly delay things.      That's consistent, too, with the fact you appear to go offline when someone messages you -- when SL tries to deliver the message and finds you are offline, it reports that back to your friend's viewer, which will then update itself.

I wouldn't worry, since you're changing your passwords.

Hello, the thing is I am RL not online that is the thing. Friends say I am on try to message then after a few minutes they say I go offline. I am away on business and not on SL that is why I am baffled and the fact that I had received a message saying that I was in a group that spammed someone well I just don't know what I can do to stop my account being logged in. No-one has my login details. So it seems to be some sad person with no life that is doing this.

I see.   That is worrying.   In that case, all I can suggest is that you report the matter to LL immediately, following the procedure here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Account_Security

Are you sure, though, that you are the only person who has access to your PC?  I can understand accounts being accessed without authorisation, but I'm puzzled that it keeps on happening to you, despite your changing the password.    I'm assuming you're using a legitimate viewer -- if someone's using a ripper viewer, then it doesn't surprise me at all that their passwords are communicated elsewhere.   But that's not the case here, I am sure.

this is a slim possibility..but maybe worth looking into..

make sure they are not seeing a display name as well..someone using a name close to your name..

could be someone you and your friends know..

just another thing to check out..have them get the speling for you as well as to check their profile for user name.. just to make sure..

It wasn't uncommon for avatars to be seen online when they are not. They were called ghost avatars. Don't we get ghost avatars any more? I imagine we do.

Even more common is when an avatar in the Friends list is listed as being online, but isn't. IMing them returns the message that the avatar is offline and the IM will be stored, etc. I'm certain we still get that one.

Both are bugs in the system and nothing to be concerned about.

I think I agree that it's just SL being glitchy, but I have a silly question...you say you keep changing your password...did you remember to uncheck the box that says "remember password"? I know it's a minor oversight but sometimes it's the little things that make the difference.

Thanks...

I think there's a bot or viewer that can allow someone else to use your name in chat. I saw this happen in a group chat before. They were using the group owner's name to spam the group chat then the actual group owner came an there was two person witht the same name argueing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.