Finally! A Sub Forum For All The Survey Takers And Grammarians.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I'm not sure that is its intended use, Perrie. The description says, "Discussions for Second Life education and educators". I read that as having to do with education about doing things in Second Life.

Well, I think if some of the Educators have never looked at this Forum they are going to get quite an education.

Interesing, I thought at one time their was a private forum or even a public one  for educators and educational institutions?  I am almost positive there was one set aside.  The times I looked at them (yes, the distant past when my employer was looking into teaching via SL) they were rarely used. To be honest, after the hype a few years ago, I have heard little to nothing from LL or other educational institutions still using SL.  I think the last I heard the educational groups were being charged full price for sims due to some mismanagement and misrepresentation. 

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I'm not sure that is its intended use, Perrie. The description says, "Discussions for Second Life education and educators". I read that as having to do with education about doing things in Second Life.

If it said that before now it says:

"Discussions for educational organizations and educational use of Second Life."

Which seems to open the door to the educational use of surveys.

Although pretty much everything will still land here regardless.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Yes it has been changed.  Perhaps someone educated Mr Lab about ambiguous statements.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Which seems to open the door to the educational use of surveys.

The title still needs some work unless that is an included purpose.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Although pretty much everything will still land here regardless.

But now we will have somewhere to tell them to go besides the Valley of Hinnom.

This Sub Forum has probably been added because events for the VWBPE will be hosted in SL.

There is a huge educational conference taking place in SL starting tomorrow that will last for four days and be spread over numerous sims.  Educators from all over the world are coming to it to see presentations by other educators and discuss the best practices for using virtual worlds for education. Many of the people coming have not been in SL before.  A number of big name universities are participating as well.

There is actually a lot of education going on in SL at all levels.  A lot though is not open to the public and not in search as access to their campuses is restricted to their students and staff and use a registration API that restricts the students and staff to their own estate.  Some because of the age of their students, but also some so the students attention stays focused on their studies and not all the temptations SL offers.  Of course they can always create another avatar for use in SL as a whole, but that is on their time, not class time lol.

Businesses found SL not good for marketing.  But organizations of all sorts find it works well for education, professional development, staff training and allowing employees that are all over the world to attend meetings for collaboration.  Saves a lot of travel expenses, no security issues with international travel, no time away from family and who doesn't like being able to attend a meeting from home in their PJ's?

Very interesting.

Unfortunately you cant neglect the EDU sector for 2 years then expect it to explode into life.

Not one of the institutions or colleges I work for have ever heard of SL.

I do hope they can recover some of the momentum that was lost regarding such a monumental blunder.

I do feel its too late. Custom tailored content & resources via direct delivery is the way. 

Eg: EdModo/Skype etc. Which excludes virtual worlds of course. *shrugs

Laughing here a little.

First off, although I didn't mention it in my OP, I was aware of the VWBPE.  See post #11.

I have friends who are involved in this category and have always been supportive of the Non Profits that have a presence in SL.

There are a lot of SL Bloggers writing about this event right now.  But there really is no Forum dedicated to this subject I am aware of so it is nice of LL to offer the space.

But I'd be doubtful if we see much posted here though time may prove me wrong.

Most of the issues that these people will be discussing are things that they would discuss privately and not on an open Forum like this.  Forums in general do not work well for discussing Academic issues and this Forum in particular would not be the most Academically friendly place.

It would be great if some of the Educators would showcase how they are using Virtual Wolds academically.

And who knows, maybe one of the Educators will volunteer to help the Lindens with their English.   ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

But I'd be doubtful if we see much posted here though time may prove me wrong.

The forum is presently empty - other than the mandatory LL sticky posts - because a considered post I made arguing that additional categorisation of users would be necessary for educators to identify their target market seems to have been removed, although in the absence of any explanation from a Moderator, Community Management Linden, or a splenetic Education Marketing Executive perhaps I should assume that the forums are currently subject to the same corruption and deletion of content as the Profile Feeds.

I seem to remember that a forum was created to coincide with a Vampire Weekend - no, not the band - which also suffered from over-enthusiastic demands on adherence to a positive attitude, with realistic comment removed and hagiographic content officially applauded.

Oh well, silence does not create echoes.

ETA: I seem to remember that the forum for the Vampire Event was populated by commissioned laudatory paeons to the virtual undead; perhaps we can expect a similar rash of overly uncritical opinion from Thinkerer and others involved.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I have friends who are involved in this category and have always been supportive of the Non Profits that have a presence in SL.

Most of the issues that these people will be discussing are things that they would discuss privately and not on an open Forum like this.  Forums in general do not work well for discussing Academic issues and this Forum in particular would not be the most Academically friendly place.

It would be great if some of the Educators would showcase how they are using Virtual Wolds academically.

Ok. Not a tongue-in-cheek-answer.

I have very little trust in this. If I'm not mistaken educational institutions have always been present. Some succesfully to this date, other to their own detriment and gained only notoriety ( I will not name names, examples are present). I do not much expect of this effort, perhaps only as an initiative of LL to (re)gain the trust they lost from academics in general.

Not to mention that most academics everywhere outside California , U.S.A., have to respect very different morals contrary to the ones that SL allows for. Perhaps a whole other discussion which could be adressed first ... :robotindifferent:

I think it will fail.

ETA : Rebates will not cut it either, as mentioned in the blogpost Amethyst mentions in another thread just started.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Laughing here a little.

First off, although I didn't mention it in my OP, I was aware of the
.  See post #11.

Most of the issues that these people will be discussing are things that they would discuss privately and not on an open Forum like this
.  Forums in general do not work well for discussing Academic issues and this Forum in particular would not be the most Academically friendly place.

And who knows, maybe one of the Educators will volunteer to help the Lindens with their English.  
;)

Always read all the posts before commenting ;-). I do have a question, possibly unanswerable here, about the comment of yours I bolded. The blog blurb you linked here and in #11 says, among other things: "VWBPE 2013 is a worldwide community event that focuses on education in immersive virtual environments. This open conference is organized by educators, for educators, and showcases the learning that takes place in virtual communities".

Is that second sentence a clear statement or an ambiguous one? The term 'open conference' is normally meant to describe a conference open to all who can find seats. The rest of the sentence seems to say otherwise: "...by educators, for educators...." implies that it is 'open' only to educators.

I'd be interested to know which meaning is intended.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Laughing here a little.

First off, although I didn't mention it in my OP, I was aware of the
.  See post #11.

Most of the issues that these people will be discussing are things that they would discuss privately and not on an open Forum like this
.  Forums in general do not work well for discussing Academic issues and this Forum in particular would not be the most Academically friendly place.

And who knows, maybe one of the Educators will volunteer to help the Lindens with their English.  
;)

Always read all the posts before commenting ;-). I do have a question, possibly unanswerable here, about the comment of yours I bolded. The blog blurb you linked here and in #11 says, among other things: "
is a worldwide community event that focuses on education in immersive virtual environments. This
open conference
is organized by educators, for educators, and showcases the learning that takes place in virtual communities".

Is that second sentence a clear statement or an ambiguous one? The term 'open conference' is normally meant to describe a conference open to all who can find seats. The rest of the sentence seems to say otherwise: "...by educators, for educators...." implies that it is 'open' only to educators.

I'd be interested to know which meaning is intended.

That post was again written by LL.  While parts of the conference are being held in SL, outside of that fact LL is not officially the 'host.'

However, from the VWBPE's official web site:

EDITOR’S NOTE:

VWBPE is NOT just for educators! Everyone is welcome since, after all, at one point or another, we are all educators. The information presented at VWBPE is targeted at educators, but applicable and interesting to so many more.                 http://www.vwbpe.org/

Perrie Juran wrote:

However, from the VWBPE's official web site:

EDITOR’S NOTE:

VWBPE is NOT just for educators! Everyone is welcome since, after all, at one point or another, we are
all
educators. The information presented at VWBPE is
targeted
at educators, but applicable and interesting to so many more.                

Thank you. That is a clearly stated explanation. Education is a wonderful thing.

So I jumped on today to see the posts that were accumulating in the new forum.  

Nada.

I'm almost for sure that I saw one there earlier.  So that's a clue about what's acceptable. 

Or it might have been a dream.

An additional tiny thought:  The new forum is like this one.  It can be about SL or not.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

So I jumped on today to see the posts that were accumulating in the new forum.  

Nada.

I'm almost for sure that I saw one there earlier.  So that's a clue about what's acceptable. 

Or it might have been a dream.

An additional tiny thought:  The new forum is like this one.  It can be about SL or not.

It could be that all the educators are busy at the conference.

I'm certain that Linden Lab has let them know about this new feature but the Educators simply haven't had time to post.  It's been several days since I've seen a post from VRProfessor or Thinkerville.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.