July 4 - Things to Do!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Happy July 4, everyone!

You don't have to be American to celebrate July 4 - you just have to like a good party!  :)

July 4 celebrates the birth of what became the United States of America. Today most Americans celebrate with a family get-together, some "American" outdoor picnic foods, and viewing fireworks - on Tv or in person, at a park.

Some of us celebrate in Second Life too! 

What are your plans for this July 4 - in Second Life or in first life?

I will post some things to do in the Events thread, but everyone is welcome to stop by my Mermaid Beach and Movies in the Park (both in my Picks), and wander around my Dallows land as well, to see a snapshot of ways we celebrate.  

Are you decorating your own land in SL? Do you know of fun places to go? Post them here! And have a great Fourth!

Today, on the 4th of July, I had to bring my good SL computer to the repair shop, won't get it back before tomorrow. :smileysad: And my trusted, but hadly aging, office warrior laptop isn't fit enough for playing SL anymore, so no party for poor little Orcsi. :smileymad:

Anyhoo happy bday America! :heart:

Melita Magic wrote:

Happy July 4, everyone!

You don't have to be American to celebrate July 4 - you just have to like a good party!  
:)

July 4 celebrates the birth of what became the United States of America. Today most Americans celebrate with a family get-together, some "American" outdoor picnic foods, and viewing fireworks - on Tv or in person, at a park.

Some of us celebrate in Second Life too! 

I will post some things to do in the Events thread, but everyone is welcome to stop by my Mermaid Beach and Movies in the Park (both in my Picks), and wander around my Dallows land as well, to see a snapshot of ways we celebrate.  

Are you decorating your own land in SL? Do you know of fun places to go? Post them here! And have a great Fourth!

I'm staying inside where it's cool and have said a prayer of gratitude for the brave men and women who have fought, some died or were injured, so we have the freedoms we enjoy in this country.

I've never liked firecrackers since I was a child and, going to Epcot at Disney a lot in the past, I've seen my share of fireworks.  Sometimes I think the US forgets what a holiday originally meant and use it as an excuse to party; nothing wrong with that as long as some thought is given to the reason for the holiday.

God bless our men and women in the military - we may not all agree on the current wars - but I think we Americans can be thankful for our troops. :)

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Well, this is one you didn't avoid... 

The forums are not as bad as inworld. There every damn group suddenly starts to act as if 4 July is a worldwide international holiday and everyone should celebrate it (a behavior I have noticed in on other international platforms and games as well).

It already started a couple of days ago, when one store I frequent had just american clothes for their daily sale.

I knew you'd have to start a post about the holiday, Melita. This is one of my two favorites. Nobody much pays attention to the history but this holiday celebrates not just the signing of the Declaration of Independence but really everything about how this country came to be.

I once found myself in Concord, Massachusetts on a beautifiul spring day. I saw on the map that the battlefield monument was near town so I wanted to visit. I had to walk; it was a Sunday and the cabs didn't work Sundays, apparently. I found the monument, and the current version of the North Bridge across the Concord River. Ralph Waldo Emerson's famous poem (I'd walked past his house on the way to the bridge) was on a plaque; I read it while standing on the bridge.

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.

The Battle of Concord (and of Lexington) took place in 1775; it was a bit over a year later that the Declaration was signed, making the Revolution irrevocable. We should never forget that line about farmers. We were farmers, and/or shoemakers, grocers, fishermen, or coppersmiths. We were people: husbands, wives, children. We went up against what was considered one of if not the most powerful nations in the world. Not for gain. Not for conquest. For the right to prosper or fail on our own terms.

What started then has become one of if not the most powerful nations in the modern world. While we need to be vigilant that those who wish to harm us are prevented from doing so, we need to remember who we are, and what we are. This country was created by people who resisted having another country's will imposed upon them. I'm considered a political conservative, but I don't think it suits us very well to impose our will upon others.

And, just because I can: a holiday clip. I own this whole album. On wax, on DVD, and in mp3 format. My wax copy is not, regrettably, my father's. He had one too, probably purchased when it was first released; it was his copy I first listened to as a kid. Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present a true comic genius: Mr. Stan Freberg.

Didn't really do anything in sl. I usually don't.

In rl we went to my hometown and enjoyed part of the day at the beach and the festival/fair they have every year.  Water was freezing, but still a great day. We don't do fireworks there until this weekend, on the last day of the festival.

We made it even better by visiting an assisted living type place that houses primarily veterans, their spouses and hospice. We have a family member there we visit frequently. On the 4th, as we usually do, we take them cards, pictures and artwork the kids have made. My kiddos also thank each and every one of them and shake their hands when able. Because they fully understand all the sacrifices generations before them had to make, so they could be here. Even those who aren't really here with us, as much as they and we'd like them to be physically and mentally. It's always a lot of fun visiting them, but it's even more fun on holidays like the 4th because you won't find more than maybe 2-3 visitors at all that day. Both sad, and enjoyable for all, at the same time.

The 4th isn't just celebrated in the US, though. It's actually celebrated a lot of places worlwide, on some scale. I'm of the camp that believes regardless of where you are, you can still celebrate your history as well as who and what you come from. If you want to that is. I think this is often important for a lot of armed forces families, since a great deal of them are quite far from home. It's rarely bad to introduce traditions to others and celebrate globally :)

I had a couple of hot dogs,  a quarter pounder and a cheeseburger, spicy potato wedges with deep-fried garlic onions and loads of mayo and relish, and rounded it off with three slices of key lime pie, washed down with some very cold Budweiser, and emailed Disneyland to see if my obesity qualified me to use an invalid vehicle when I next visit.

Awe . . . wasn't celebrating Independence Day, just the first, and perhaps only day of the British Summer.

I'm really looking forward to the real celebrations in ten days time, though, when I intend decapitating a few of my rich neighbours and burning down several few government buildings.

Awe  . . . is a citizen of the world.

Melita Magic wrote:

We go to an amazingly HUGE 4th party every year. He owns a construction company and puts a giant flag on a crane and has a Flag Raising ceremony. He and his family go up in a crane overlooking the backyard. It's really great. While the flag is going up, this song is blasting through the speakers. Very patriotic. (I'm not overly patriotic, but it's a moving experience)

Tex Monday wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

We go to an amazingly HUGE 4th party every year. He owns a construction company and puts a giant flag on a crane and has a Flag Raising ceremony. He and his family go up in a crane overlooking the backyard. It's really great. While the flag is going up, this song is blasting through the speakers. Very patriotic. (I'm not overly patriotic, but it's a moving experience)

That song always brings tears to my eyes.  I can imagine how moving it is in the ceremony you mentioned.  Great graphics in this video - shows some of the best and worst our country has been through.

My family being largely from Ireland, this song has always touched my heart, and is a reminder of the the people who gave up everything in their own countries and came to America with the dream of a better life (also one of my favorite Celtic groups - Emerald Rose):

ETA: The first time I heard this song was years ago while watching a video someone had made in SL; I believe it was the person's first try at doing such.  He chose this song as the background while his avatar was walking through SL.

Hope everyone had a good Fourth!

Thank you for the many eloquent and moving posts in this topic. I had intended it to be a list of places to go in SL and/or plans for RL for 4th celebrations, but got so much more. Thank you.

Czari said:

"...have said a prayer of gratitude for the brave men and women who have fought, some died or were injured, so we have the freedoms we enjoy in this country.

...we may not all agree on the current wars - but I think we Americans can be thankful for our troops."

Well said! Freedom is not free. Those who first fought to establish independence from tyranny fought without proper supplies, uniforms or equipment. And ever since for such a young country especially, we can be proud.

Dillon said:

"By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.

The Battle of Concord (and of Lexington) took place in 1775; it was a bit over a year later that the Declaration was signed, making the Revolution irrevocable. We should never forget that line about farmers. We were farmers, and/or shoemakers, grocers, fishermen, or coppersmiths. We were people: husbands, wives, children. We went up against what was considered one of if not the most powerful nations in the world. Not for gain. Not for conquest. For the right to prosper or fail on our own terms."

Well said also! Exactly...just ordinary people who had had enough. July 4 is when we remember their sacrifices and those of all others who have contributed to make this nation what it was and is.

No one is saying our nation is perfect or has not had its mistakes but, the same is true of every other nation on earth. And we have many many reasons to celebrate and stand proudly. Especially that those people who were among the discounted in their home nations, set out to find a better life, and did not settle for less. I won't be shamed out of celebrating my nation's birthday, not by anyone. I would be shaming my ancestors in so doing.

Tari said:

"We made it even better by visiting an assisted living type place that houses primarily veterans, their spouses and hospice. We have a family member there we visit frequently. On the 4th, as we usually do, we take them cards, pictures and artwork the kids have made. My kiddos also thank each and every one of them and shake their hands when able. Because they fully understand all the sacrifices generations before them had to make, so they could be here."

That is a marvelous idea and one I hope many will imitate. My home town had fireworks at the veterans' center; I wish I could've been there. Bless you for thanking them in person and on such a fitting day. What a wonderful thing to teach your children, as well. I'm sure the residents of the home delighted to have their smiling faces around them.

Tari also said:

"The 4th isn't just celebrated in the US, though. It's actually celebrated a lot of places worlwide, on some scale.

It's rarely bad to introduce traditions to others and celebrate globally."

Thank you. In the USA we take in the celebrations of the various groups from around the world who make this their new home. I have wished people Happy Cinqo de Mayo, visited Oktoberfest, gone to an Italian street fair in celebration of a saint, etc., etc. Because we are citizens from all over the world.

Tex said:

"We go to an amazingly HUGE 4th party every year. He owns a construction company and puts a giant flag on a crane and has a Flag Raising ceremony. He and his family go up in a crane overlooking the backyard. It's really great. While the flag is going up, this song is blasting through the speakers. Very patriotic. (I'm not overly patriotic, but it's a moving experience)"

I am not normally overtly sentimental nor a crier, but that would have made me cry. Something very powerful about those lyrics. On a loudspeaker? Goosebump city. What a way to celebrate.

Czari also said:

"My family being largely from Ireland, this song has always touched my heart, and is a reminder of the the people who gave up everything in their own countries and came to America with the dream of a better life (also one of my favorite Celtic groups - Emerald Rose):"

What a beautiful song. First I have heard about that group and first I had heard the song. The lyrics are so poetic and depict the struggle so many endured, just to have what so many take for granted: freedom, a roof and regular meals, and a hope to make their dreams come true. America did then and still does represent that for so many. Which is why I can never take those who bash her, too seriously.

Kenbro, Orca, and Malanya: thank you also, for participating in the spirit the topic had intended - one of inclusion and celebration. One of happiness.

One thing I have been busying myself with over the past few years is family history research. It has been quite a journey. My earliest known ancestors came to the continent around the time of the Mayflower. (Some - Dutch - may have been here before it; unverified as yet.) Others, in the early 19th century. I was amazed to find how many of their stories were interwoven with various points in American history - every war, even the Salem trials. What they fled, what they found here. A human tapestry. It's their stories I celebrate as much as anything else.

That is why I do not feel I need anyone's permission to announce the holiday or ask for discussion; or to celebrate the holiday; or to enjoy doing so. I hadn't intended to wax sentimental but, I don't take well to attempts at shaming...especially ones as clumsy as some posted here.

Those I have named above thank you sincerely for celebrating the holiday publicly.  And yes I will say it - God bless the USA.  

:D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.