Prim count?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would like LL to make all non clothing items have a manditory prim count. IE, you can't post an item if you don't include the prim count.  I am tired of buying something that supposedly has a low prim count only to find it has a huge count. Either that or have items without a prim count listed shw a Zero as prim count.. so we know they didnt bother to set one.

Not an unreasonable idea.  As i've said before, i'd like to see the date the listing was posted and the date the merchant was last online too.

That way, i'd know if their "new" item really is new and more crucially if they're active in SL for support, then you could ask them.

What you could do, is flag the item as "not as advertised" although since you can't choose prim count as a reason, not sure what value that will have.

There needs to be a similar thing for clothes though, just because it's not land impact doesn't mean it's without "impact".

Careful what you wish for!

They'll give you a new calculation called World Impact which gives you 30% less triangles to work with, and squeeze yet more regions onto fewer servers with the savings, all the while convincing you to convince others that optimizing for World Impact is the trademark of a good citizen-resident.

They'll provide the pitchforks so that you can freely poke others into World Impact submission, without being called out for the harassment that you're actually guilty of.

And then they'll charge more L$ to upload it.

Since every cause needs a name, we'll lump it under Project Sunshine. As in blowing sunshine up your ...

Sorry, these things just come out. Accurate numbers would be nice.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

I would like LL to make all non clothing items have a manditory prim count. IE, you can't post an item if you don't include the prim count.  I am tired of buying something that supposedly has a low prim count only to find it has a huge count. Either that or have items without a prim count listed shw a Zero as prim count.. so we know they didnt bother to set one.

Real simple.

No prim count, don't buy.

Inaccurate prim count, report for product not as advertised.

If you really think you want it, you can message the Creator and tell them you'll buy after they update their listing.

As far as listing 'last log in,' while that may offer a slight safety buffer, it still would not guarantee any level of customer service.  But I do agree, this would be nice info to see.

The problem is partly created by LL and Commerce Team.  I don't know what level of EXTREMELY ADVANCED programming skill is necessary to change the term "Prims" to "Land Impact", but as has been noted in these pages many times before, such a change would clear up a lot of confusion.

They should add the field land impact. Though in many cases customers might want to know the land impact above the prim count, it still are different things. And there are cases where a customer might want to know both.

For example on the picture as a jar with a lid, the lid is not on the jar, but next to the jar. When you look at land impact only, this does not tell you if the jar and the lid are two different objects, it can be two linked 0,5 LI prims, or it can be just a single object (one mesh). When you want a jar with a lid that can be taken on and of the jar, you need an object of two prims.

Pamela Galli wrote:

The problem is partly created by LL and Commerce Team.  I don't know what level of EXTREMELY ADVANCED programming skill is necessary to change the term "Prims" to "Land Impact", but as has been noted in these pages many times before, such a change would clear up a lot of confusion.

I guess I am still old school and think "prims" and not "Land Impact." 

I need to update the data base in my brain.

But yes, what is so hard about them updating.  Similar to the abuse report categories in the Viewer.  It stilll includes "Teen outside of Teen SL" and "Adult On Teen Grid."   There is no "Underaged User In SL" or "Teen Outside of G Rated SIM" category.

Here's the Jira for Marketplace:Add Land Impact as a Searchable Field.  I created it on January 23, 2012 and it's been "Acknowledged".

"Now that Land Impact has been implemented as "Second Life's mechanism for calculating the computational weight of an object against land usage limits." it has become a necessary filter for the Marketplace Search."

I like to post the link every once-in-a-while :)

inactive.JPG

TatianaDokuchic Varriale wrote:

Here's the Jira for
.  I created it on January 23, 2012 and it's been "Acknowledged".

"Now that Land Impact has been implemented as "Second Life's mechanism for calculating the computational weight of an object against land usage limits." it has become a necessary filter for the Marketplace Search."

I like to post the link every once-in-a-while
:)

And it is as with many (if not all?) old things in the old JIRA marked "INACTIVE."

Sassy Romano wrote:

Not an unreasonable idea.  As i've said before, i'd like to see the date the listing was posted and the date the merchant was last online too.

That way, i'd know if their "new" item really is new and more crucially if they're active in SL for support, then you could ask them.

Yes to all this, and if you have a reason to IM the merchant, like to ask about prim count or land impact, then it will answer all these questions. No response, don't buy.

I try to put both the prim count and land impact into my item description area (making sure it stands out) and I leave the prim count area blank, or I put in the higher of the two in prim count area. Because there is always a risk of upsetting a customer if you put land impact into the prim count area and people look at prims, or vice versa.

Giving us an area to add land impact would clear up this problem of deciding what to put in that prim count field or to leave it blank.

Prim count tells you the number of objects that are linked together. So If your item is one object it will be one prim (like usual).

With a mesh item (or any item converted to convex hull) the land impact of that one object (1 prim) will change according to size and level of detail.

So, 4 standard prims linked together can have a land impact of 2.

Or you can have one large mesh object (1 prim) with lots of detail and it can have a land impact of 20.

Land impact can be minimised by using the LOD levels wisely when you upload a mesh object, but reducing these significantly to keep land impact low will result in the item breaking up, losing shape or disappearing too quickly at a distance - especially at default LOD factor settings.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.