Have I found the one item that didn't exist before Mesh???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ah, a woman after my own heart...or head - I love using bullet points in discussions; so easy to read and organize.  Loved your bulleted response. :)

I hadn't thought of PC clubs, although you and I were reminiscing about them a few weeks ago.  Not sure if this little burg in which I now live has one BUT, I do live in a college town so...hmmm...that opens new possibilities.  Maybe checking in with their technology classes/areas if they have that curriculum - it is a smallish, private, liberal arts college.

Going out in the sun sounds like a good idea...once it cools down a bit here.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Czari, I just sent you a PM with a link to a pretty decent computer. It's from a place that buys and sells surplus PC's and at work we've been buying from them for several years when we need inexpensive computers for in-house use.

This is an Asus PC (a respected and well-known manufacturer—the new PC's we buy use Asus motherboards exclusively). It has an Intel i5, 8GB of RAM, and a decent hard drive.

The graphics are just 'Intel integrated', but Asus sold the product with a wide range of Nvidia upgrades available, so dropping in a graphics card would be a snap. It only has a 350 Watt power supply. You'd need to upgrade that as well, but power supplies are cheap and easy (kind of like me:smileywink:). Okay I didn't really say that last part.

It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium and sells for less than $500. That's not bad, especially if you can shop around and find an Nvidia card on sale somewhere. There are plenty of less expensive options available that will work okay. This just happened to be a relatively upper level PC at what I thought was a pretty good price.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I really appreciate your input, Dillon & Madelaine (may I call you Maddy?).  After literally months of researching, getting the opinions of friends - some of whom are techies - more research, looking at big box stores in RL and online and more recently having watched building vids, I have come to a crossroads:

1.  I definitely want a PC that will be easy to upgrade.  When I check out the brand names online (Win7 having apparently disappeared from the brick & morter stores) - some of the cases seem either plastic-looking/flimsy and/or not as wide as my custom-built steel box.  I had a situation years ago when I purchased an HP and when I needed to replace a component discovered only HP parts would fit it.  I suppose if I found a brand name that was decent and there was a case issue, I could purchase a case later and transfer the components over.

Try Alienware - although their designs are rather masculine, they specialize in gaming rigs.

2. From watching a gazillion building PCs vids, I don't see any price difference in building one vs. buying the identical PC prebuilt; in fact in some cases it is more expensive.  The one area in which the prices are on par are the gaming PCs.  I configured several PCs on iBUYPOWER, that someone on the forums highly recommended.  I could get the low end of what I'm shooting for and stay in budget BUT iBUYPOWER charges a $75.00 shipping fee.  Bleh.  The main issue that concerns me about building a PC is not wanting to buy parts online that I would have to send back if it arrived damaged, etc.  Dillon, I visited a friend in San Jose years ago and you're right - PC city!!!  I LOVED going to Fry's and would definitely give building a try if a Fry's or Microcenter, etc. were in my area.  The closest thing I have are small PC shops that stock parts.

I highly recommend Directron.com.  Not only do they have great prices, but their service is excellent.  I build my own PC's - but not for the price.  I build mine so I get exactly what I want.

3.  Which brings me to the third route (and the one I initially preferred) - having a PC custom-built in a small shop like my current PC was.  There are three such shops in town.  I have estimates from 2 of them and posted the specs/prices of one shop in the forums awhile back.  I was told many of the parts were very old, especially for the price (cheapest one being $725.00!!! and only an i3 chip).  The 2nd shop's estimate was $850.00 for "an AMD quad core processor" (how generic), 500 GB HDD, and "High Resolution Graphics." Errr, could we be a bit more specific?  At any rate $850.00 is way out of my budget so...NEXT.

The last shop is the one that sells PC parts as well.  I have not obtained an estimate from there yet but, based on the other two, I can't imagine their competitor would be much less expensive, if at all.

So that's where I stand.  At this point I have "overthought" the whole deal, and probably annoyed my friends who begin IMs with me saying, "How is the PC search going? *ducks*" :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

The main reason I'm trying to be careful is this money is so precious to me that, if I pick a PC that can't be upgraded, etc., I won't have any more money to correct the issue.

Bleh....this is making my head hurt. :matte-motes-confused:

I hear you.  I don't make PC purchases lightly, either.  Back in the old days, I could experiment more - but now the PC is as an essential appliance as your fridge or oven.  I added some notes in the above quote. :D

Jinnywitha Cleanslate wrote:

Sadly, I have zero budget to spare.  I was long term unemployed due to illness, so SL was my outlet and escape.  Then after a hard slog of looking for work for over 2yrs, I finally got a job, and was in it for 8weeks, only to have an industrial accident in December, which has left me unable to walk properly, and has made me disabled.  There is no compensation to be claimed, due to the circumstances and a change in UK law regarding compensation claims - and the company fired me for 'lack of attendance' in spite of hospital and medical letters, leaving me with no income whatsoever.  So basically - even for $10 I couldn't afford a new computer right now.  Thank God the internet is a gift from my brother!  I often wish I were a smoker or drinker, so I could give it up and reallocate spare cash - but I'm not.  Lol. 

Ah well - I have faith....   LL don't let me down, on the giving me a new computer thing!!!!  LMAO! 

More than 10$ i am afraid but there is a special offer on in June for eople on benefits to get a basic PC and broadband internet for a year for £25 (under special offers on the website).

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/get-online-home-and-microsoft-offer-pcs-from-24-118648

Source:

http://www.getonlineathome.org/special-offer.aspx

The PC will be better than your current 10 yr old one, but I am not sure it would really be enough to give me much satisfaction playing without at least getting more memory and graphics card, but if you are used to 64m view distance and everything on low settings it may well work on singularity, Catznip or one of the other viewers that seem to have less resource requirements than the linden labs viewer or firestorm.

Aethelwine wrote:

Sadly, I have zero budget to spare.  I was long term unemployed due to illness, so SL was my outlet and escape.  Then after a hard slog of looking for work for over 2yrs, I finally got a job, and was in it for 8weeks, only to have an industrial accident in December, which has left me unable to walk properly, and has made me disabled.  There is no compensation to be claimed, due to the circumstances and a change in UK law regarding compensation claims - and the company fired me for 'lack of attendance' in spite of hospital and medical letters, leaving me with no income whatsoever.  So basically - even for $10 I couldn't afford a new computer right now.  Thank God the internet is a gift from my brother!  I often wish I were a smoker or drinker, so I could give it up and reallocate spare cash - but I'm not.  Lol. 

Ah well - I have faith....   LL don't let me down, on the giving me a new computer thing!!!!  LMAO! 

More than 10$ i am afraid but there is a special offer on in June for eople on benefits to get a basic PC and broadband internet for a year for £25 (under special offers on the website).

Source:

The PC will be better than your current 10 yr old one, but I am not sure it would really be enough to give me much satisfaction playing without at least getting more memory and graphics card, but if you are used to 64m view distance and everything on low settings it may well work on singularity, Catznip or one of the other viewers that seem to have less resource requirements than the linden labs viewer or firestorm.

Being also in the UK, and on long-term benefits, I was extremely interested to read all in the link. Thank you for providing that, Aethelwine.

I also showed my disabled brother, and he said "jingle jangle" warning bells were ringing in his head.  He reminded me of a similar scheme that our mother got involved with - it was called it2eat, and it was aimed at getting the older generation in the UK connected up to the internet. They provided a computer, and basic training on it, which my mother absolutely lapped up. As an ex-typist, she certainly had no problem with navigating the keyboard, and there were technical people always at the end of the phone for her to contact.

However, when something looks so good to be true, it often is too good to be true. And what happened with our mother was that time ran out on this wonderful scheme, and all the computers were removed from the subscribers' homes.  By this time, she was tied in to a broadband contract, minimimum being 18 months, and as she had got used to being able to order shopping via the internet, she felt left high and dry.  Fortunately she had a little bit of a nest egg put by, and purchased a computer from Dell, got it all set up, but ended up paying several hundreds of pounds in the end for this, plus maintenance, plus all the extra broadband that the ISP somehow managed to persuade her that she needed!

So the thing is, not wishing to be cynical, I want to believe that this scheme via GetOnline is as wonderful as it sounds.  Also, being in the UK, I am extra cautious when the government is somewhere involved, and aside from getting everybody who is registered disabled or claiming benefits to eat a ton of baked beans and fart into the national grid, so that we are not totally parasitic, I get the feeling they are trying to find all kinds of ways to get us trained up for some kind of slave labour. 

Its always nice to have a purpose in life, but Big Brother is watching you certainly comes into play here.  I mean, no doubt when somebody takes advantage of a £24 computer, and associated broadband (minimum is actually £18.20, which is £14.99 monthly line rental plus minimum broadband costs), that will be registered with some department in our government. 

Also, expect to be bombarded (and I mean BOMBARDED) by broadband bumph.  Even when you are signed up as a low user, they deluge you with carrots-on-sticks (actually this feels like a carrot on a stick).

So, as I say, not wishing to be cynical, just be very careful what you sign up for, because if it seems too good to be true, then it usually is too good to be true.

The lord giveth and the government taketh away!

Edited to add:

Think about this also, they would have to register that a computer has been supplied to whoever at whatever address, otherwise look how easy it would be to obtain a £24 computer and sell it on for a profile on ebay!

If someone does take up this offer though, I shall be extremely interested to hear how it pans out for them. After all, in the original techweek article it does say that the intention is to get the many hundreds of thousands of people all connected to the internet, be they on benefits or not, to enable their children to be better educated, to provide more access to jobs, etc., and so, if this scheme is genuine, then it will still be in existence a year or so from now. 

Thank you so very much for your kindness in sending that link to an ASUS PC to me, Dillon. :heart: Thank you as well for filling in some of my questions, such as how much RAM it contains as well as the power supply stats.  I read your IM late last night (shortly after taking a sleeping pill - I don't recommend trying to digest this type of info after so doing...lol), and was trying to decipher what "2000 Hard Drive Size" was in GB; what "8192 Memory" was; and where it said anything about graphics and power supply. (Just looked again and I still don't see that...lol.)

I do know that Asus is a most-respected brand.  Love that it has Win7 installed and I had assumed that a vid card could be added, although as I'm now paying attention to PCIe slots and didn't see those listed either, I was a bit concerned on that point.  I looked at the same model AUSUS PCs on various sites and YEOW!!!  for a new one (perhaps with better graphics & power supply, but not sure) the average price was $1,200.

Definitely a top contender at this point. :)

Thank you so much, braylasana, for your info - it is most appreciated! :)  I've come across the brand "Alienware" when researching PCs, but never checked out their site.  I would imagine looks-wise they are probably similar to iBUYPOWER gaming PCs; will check them out as well as Directron.  I am really, really getting more interested in building a PC.  Since you do, are there any particular "pitfalls" to avoid?  I think I posted this earlier, but I think this guy does an AMAZING job at showing how to build a PC: 

This showed up in my email today - a few interesting looking bare-bones kits:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/wem3677.asp?cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2001a-_-CatId_campaign_wem3677

I have no knowledge of how things work in the UK but this part is eerily the same in the US:

Also, being in the UK, I am extra cautious when the government is somewhere involved, and aside from getting everybody who is registered disabled or claiming benefits to eat a ton of baked beans and fart into the national grid, so that we are not totally parasitic, I get the feeling they are trying to find all kinds of ways to get us trained up for some kind of slave labour. 

I went on disability prior to our current administration; however, I have seen stats that since this administration has been in office, the number of people awarded disability and/or food stamps has skyrocketed.  The way things are going in this country, I'm a bit uneasy at having to be dependent on these government programs. 

Marigold Devin wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

Source:

Being also in the UK, and on long-term benefits, I was extremely interested to read all in the link. Thank you for providing that, Aethelwine.

I also showed my disabled brother, and he said "jingle jangle" warning bells were ringing in his head.  He reminded me of a similar scheme that our mother got involved with - it was called it2eat, and it was aimed at getting the older generation in the UK connected up to the internet. They provided a computer, and basic training on it, which my mother absolutely lapped up. As an ex-typist, she certainly had no problem with navigating the keyboard, and there were technical people always at the end of the phone for her to contact.

However, when something looks so good to be true, it often is too good to be true. And what happened with our mother was that time ran out on this wonderful scheme, and all the computers were removed from the subscribers' homes.  By this time, she was tied in to a broadband contract, minimimum being 18 months, and as she had got used to being able to order shopping via the internet, she felt left high and dry.  Fortunately she had a little bit of a nest egg put by, and purchased a computer from Dell, got it all set up, but ended up paying several hundreds of pounds in the end for this, plus maintenance, plus all the extra broadband that the ISP somehow managed to persuade her that she needed!

So the thing is, not wishing to be cynical, I want to believe that this scheme via GetOnline is as wonderful as it sounds.  Also, being in the UK, I am extra cautious when the government is somewhere involved, and aside from getting everybody who is registered disabled or claiming benefits to eat a ton of baked beans and fart into the national grid, so that we are not totally parasitic, I get the feeling they are trying to find all kinds of ways to get us trained up for some kind of slave labour. 

Its always nice to have a purpose in life, but Big Brother is watching you certainly comes into play here.  I mean, no doubt when somebody takes advantage of a £24 computer, and associated broadband (minimum is actually £18.20, which is £14.99 monthly line rental plus minimum broadband costs), that will be registered with some department in our government. 

Also, expect to be bombarded (and I mean BOMBARDED) by broadband bumph.  Even when you are signed up as a low user, they deluge you with carrots-on-sticks (actually this feels like a carrot on a stick).

So, as I say, not wishing to be cynical, just be very careful what you sign up for, because if it seems too good to be true, then it usually is too good to be true.

The lord giveth and the government taketh away!

Edited to add:

Think about this also, they would have to register that a computer has been supplied to whoever at whatever address, otherwise look how easy it would be to obtain a £24 computer and sell it on for a profile on ebay!

If someone does take up this offer though, I shall be extremely interested to hear how it pans out for them. After all, in the original techweek article it does say that the intention is to get the many hundreds of thousands of people all connected to the internet, be they on benefits or not, to enable their children to be better educated, to provide more access to jobs, etc., and so, if this scheme is genuine, then it will still be in existence a year or so from now. 

I tried searching for some reviews of the offer and the only negative comment I really saw was that the refurbished lap top only had a 30 day warranty.

I don't know how metered usage works but you get 40GB a month.  Could that be the devil in the details?

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/get-online-home-offers-computer-years-broadband-for-160-50008038/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2148750/Martha-Lane-Fox-unveils-scheme-159-buys-refurbished-Windows-7-broadband-year.html

...to those of you who have built PCs - is it possible to purchase a pre-built PC, purchase a different case, and transfer the components to the new case?  Common sense would tell me that if a decent PC can be updated then all the components should be able to come out of one case and into another.  Just something I've been thinking about.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

...to those of you who have built PCs - is it possible to purchase a pre-built PC, purchase a different case, and transfer the components to the new case?  Common sense would tell me that if a decent PC can be updated then all the components should be able to come out of one case and into another.  Just something I've been thinking about.

It would need to have the same form factor for the motherboard, but yes it can be done.  The form factors don't change too frequently.

http://www.millertech.com/mb_formfactor.htm

I did do this one time with a computer.  The MotherBoard was AGP for the graphics card and did not have a PCIe slot.  Bought a discontinued MB with the same form that had a PCIe slot and that was all we upgraded plus the new GPU.  Cost me $50.00US for the MB.

Used it for a year before I got my current computer.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Czari, this will depend upon the PC. As I said, my experience is a decade old, but the Dell and HP desktop computers I owned at that time were both ill suited for transferring anything to a new case. The Dell XPS had a nonstandard motherboard and power supply, the HP had a mini-ATX (I think that's what it's called) motherboard with only two PCI and two memory slots. The power supply was standard, but the cables to the motherboard were too short to allow moving it to a new case, which had them farther apart. The power supply also had a pigtail for only one hard drive. If I'd wanted to add another, I'd have needed a "Y" cable.

To get to lower price points, the big-name manufacturers sacrifice compatibility to some extent. They need only be compatible with themselves. The power supply cables won't be an inch longer than necessary, the motherboard will contain connectors for only those things the box supports, such as perhaps two fans rather than six, 1-2 hard drives and one DVD drive. A quick check of a bog-standard desktop PC on HP's website shows no indication of the motherboard style, which is important as Perrie says.

The components inside a no-name ready-built system are more likely to be transplantable in the future, as those systems are built from generic bits from various manufactures, which must all adhere to the basic standards to interoperate. The power supplies will have longer cables and more pigtails for hard drives. The motherboards will have connections for more fans, more hard drives, more DVD drives, etc.

... hands you two aspirin and a root-beer to wash them down.

ETA: I think SATA hard drives get their power from the motherboard, so power supply pigtails may be less of an issue, though cable length will still be important.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Thank you so very much for your kindness in sending that link to an ASUS PC to me, Dillon. :heart: Thank you as well for filling in some of my questions, such as how much RAM it contains as well as the power supply stats.  I read your IM late last night (shortly after taking a sleeping pill - I don't recommend trying to digest this type of info after so doing...lol), and was trying to decipher what "2000 Hard Drive Size" was in GB; what "8192 Memory" was; and where it said anything about graphics and power supply. (Just looked again and I still don't see that...lol.)

I do know that Asus is a most-respected brand.  Love that it has Win7 installed and I had assumed that a vid card could be added, although as I'm now paying attention to PCIe slots and didn't see those listed either, I was a bit concerned on that point.  I looked at the same model AUSUS PCs on various sites and YEOW!!!  for a new one (perhaps with better graphics & power supply, but not sure) the average price was $1,200.

Definitely a top contender at this point.
:)

Czari, I got most of my information from Asus's page on that particular PC. As for the graphics, Intel integrated is the base level and since nothing was mentioned in the reseller's listing I am assuming that the base level is what you'd get (that has been the case with all the PC's we've bought from them. The PC itself is quite capable of upgrade: here are Asus' specs regarding that:

Chipset Intel® H61

Graphic Intel® HD Integrated Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce G505 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce GT620 1GB/2GB NVIDIA® GeForce GT625 2GB NVIDIA® GeForce GT630 2GB NVIDIA® GeForce GT640 3GB NVIDIA® GeForce GTX550 Ti 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce GTX650 1GB AMD® Radeon HD7350 1GB AMD® Radeon HD7470 1GB AMD® Radeon HD8760 1GB

Memory 2 GB Up to 8 GB Dual Channel, DDR3 at 1333MHz 2 x DIMM

Expansion Slots 1 x PCI 2 x PCI-e x 1 1 x PCI-e x 16

Well, my saved notecard didn't parse very well; maybe it will straighten itself out when I post this. Anyway, as you can see it supports a wide range of graphics cards and has all the expansion slots you'd need.

It is not a top of the line killer game box, but it's a very capable PC and that is a pretty good price. As for moving the components to another box: yes, probably. Asus is in the business of selling motherboards so you'd expect their stuff to fit most anywhere. I personally wouldn't recommend it just because it always seems like I miss hooking up a drive light or some other damn thing. I prefer changing components one at a time.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

It would need to have the same form factor for the motherboard, but yes it can be done.  The form factors don't change too frequently.

Ooo..thank you for that chart and info, Perrie.  That's what I ran into prior to having my PC built for me - I had an HP that needed repair so I took it to a local PC shop and stock components were too big for the HP case, which is why I am a tad hesitant to purchase another brand name PC.   I like lots of room inside the case.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Czari, this will depend upon the PC. As I said, my experience is a decade old, but the Dell and HP desktop computers I owned at that time were both ill suited for transferring anything to a new case. The Dell XPS had a nonstandard motherboard and power supply, the HP had a mini-ATX (I think that's what it's called) motherboard with only two PCI and two memory slots. The power supply was standard, but the cables to the motherboard were too short to allow moving it to a new case, which had them farther apart. The power supply also had a pigtail for only one hard drive. If I'd wanted to add another, I'd have needed a "Y" cable.

That's exactly the situation I ran into with the HP I mentioned in my response to Perrie's post and what caused me to switch to having my PC built.  Interestingly, after the shop gutted the HP, replacing all salvageable parts into a bigger box and adding what couldn't be used - it is that basic PC I've been using for 15 years.  All the innards were pretty much replaced over the years.  The last major upgrade I did was 10 years ago for a new MB, CPU, graphics card, and fan - apparently right before SEE2 became standard.  OH...I did choose a new case then as well.

The original HP CD-Writer is still installed!!!

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

... hands you two aspirin and a root-beer to wash them down.

Accepts them gratefully.  At this point, I just wish I could go to bed and in the morning the PC-fairy would have delivered a new system.  Wonder what one has to place under their pillow for that?

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Definitely a top contender at this point.
:)

Czari, I got most of my information from Asus's page on that particular PC. As for the graphics, Intel integrated is the base level and since nothing was mentioned in the reseller's listing I am assuming that the base level is what you'd get (that has been the case with all the PC's we've bought from them. The PC itself is quite capable of upgrade: here are Asus' specs regarding that:

Chipset Intel® H61

Graphic Intel® HD Integrated Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce G505 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce GT620 1GB/2GB NVIDIA® GeForce GT625 2GB NVIDIA® GeForce GT630 2GB NVIDIA® GeForce GT640 3GB NVIDIA® GeForce GTX550 Ti 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce GTX650 1GB AMD® Radeon HD7350 1GB AMD® Radeon HD7470 1GB AMD® Radeon HD8760 1GB

Memory 2 GB Up to 8 GB Dual Channel, DDR3 at 1333MHz 2 x DIMM

Expansion Slots 1 x PCI 2 x PCI-e x 1 1 x PCI-e x 16

Well, my saved notecard didn't parse very well; maybe it will straighten itself out when I post this. Anyway, as you can see it supports a wide range of graphics cards and has all the expansion slots you'd need.

It is not a top of the line killer game box, but it's a very capable PC and that is a pretty good price. As for moving the components to another box: yes, probably. Asus is in the business of selling motherboards so you'd expect their stuff to fit most anywhere. I personally wouldn't recommend it just because it always seems like I miss hooking up a drive light or some other damn thing. I prefer changing components one at a time.

Thank you again, Dillon. :)  I did check out that model ASUS on their site, but when I got to the garbled listing of graphics cards (now keep in mind I was getting all buzzy after taking a sleeping pill) - I interpreted that line as, "You will get one of these cards in your system but we can't guarantee which."  Thank you for interpreting that for me...lol.

/slinks off with a red face :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ooo..thank you for that chart and info, Perrie.  That's what I ran into prior to having my PC built for me - I had an HP that needed repair so I took it to a local PC shop and stock components were too big for the HP case, which is why I am a tad hesitant to purchase another brand name PC.   I like lots of room inside the case.

This used to be even more common.  My first desk top was an HP and they used a different sized power supply.  When I wanted to upgrade my video card I couldn't because the supply wasn't high enough wattage.  No one else made a power supply that would fit in their case and HP wanted a gazillion gobsmacks for their higher wattage supply.   I opted for a new computer.

Amazing that when I started SL I had a 500mz processor and 512MB of RAM with integrated graphics!

Those were the days.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Amazing that when I started SL I had a 500mz processor and 512MB of RAM with integrated graphics!

Those were the days.

I'm still using the same PC I had when I started SL.  :smileyvery-happy:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+  (Not sure if that's the CPU or MB) 1.8 GHz; 2.50 GB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE graphics card

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Those were the days.

I'm still using the same PC I had when I started SL.  :smileyvery-happy:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+  (Not sure if that's the CPU or MB) 1.8 GHz; 2.50 GB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE graphics card

When I started I would have drooled over your computer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.