Physical objects escaping from parcel / region

Cash Button

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm in a region running on Second Life Server 13.05.20.276191.
I have eight physical dolphins here, most of which have been running for almost a year with no problems, however in the past week they have escaped from their designated area three times. They are either returned from another region or parcel or I find them at the sim border with their physics turned off.
This happens with all the physical objects here, not only the dolphins, and they are all affected at the same time so it is not the scripts in the objects failing.
Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone know what may cause it?

Cash Button wrote:

I have eight physical dolphins here, most of which have been running for almost a year with no problems, however in the past week they have escaped from their designated area three times. They are either returned from another region or parcel or I find them at the sim border with their physics turned off.

This happens with all the physical objects here, not only the dolphins, and they are all affected at the same time so it is not the scripts in the objects failing.

Have you tried resetting the scripts anyway? I'm assuming they're running all the time so they were running when the server software was rolled to a new version last week. I've had "always on" things like my security system and my breedable cat throw script errors after a server roll but they went back to normal after doing things that reset the script.

[...] running for almost a year with no problems, however in the past week they have escaped from their designated area three times. They are either returned from another region or parcel or I find them at the sim border with their physics turned off.

I'm watching to see if anybody else posts here with similar recent experiences.  Otherwise, physical objects are inherently vulnerable to certain forms of mischief that could have the described results. (A partial deterrent is the "No Push" land setting but that affects only an especially tame subset of the ways this can be done.)

Cash Button wrote:

By "mischief". do you mean a form of griefing?

Yeah, more or less. I'd consider it griefing to use an exploit to circumvent a parcel's no-push setting. On the other hand, on parcels where push was enabled, I've used it myself to clear out griefer crap, so I guess it's subject to interpretation.

If that's what befell all your physical objects, yeah, I think I'd call it "griefing".

Yes, lag or something more serious is what i suspected, however i'm surprised that no-one else has experienced this if that is the cause.

I dont think its down to griefing as the dolphins are generally at ocean level and in a pool at 2000m altitude and they are all affected at the same time

I've made some physical test objects to move N,S,E,W in 5m steps with llMoveToTarget. I'll have them record their last 20 positions, with a timestamp and the region FPS with each move on a one second timer. Then if they go out of the parcel or lose their physics, they will come home and stop. Fingers crossed that this may shed some light on the cause, if it happens again.

I had the magical dolphins out in my homestead for a couple months. About every other night I would notice a dolphin would disappear and end up in Lost & Found. It was a mystery that took a while to solve.

The dolphins tend to move quickly at times and if they are near a sim boundary they will often run right into it - that results in them going out of the sim or sometimes they will just be floating there.  I've found the Air Kraken have the same problem and I'd find them floating near sim boundary around 200 meters high.

A simple solution is to just not use fast moving animals;  I replaced the dolphins with sharks and I had almost no troubles at all.  They move slow enough that they don't blindly plow into the sim boundary.  Visitors didn't really care for the sharks though. They tended to get killed by the sharks a lot;  though there have been daredevils who would ride around, teasing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Cash Button wrote:

We have rabbits and pet rocks. Recently we have found these 'suspended' in mid air. no prims for them to sit on, and in most cases no reason at all how, or why, they got there. one was 1700M in the air, one was 60. The dont move then untill they have been reset. this has only happened in the last couple of weeks, but seems to be happening more

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.