What Now?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wildcat Laszlo wrote:

i already tryed that so many times .. yes i can link my dutch bank acount to paypal .. that works .. but sl dont acsept it that way .. paypal has to be linkt to a creadid card to be acsepted in sl 

This part of the mega super good skill for communication that has LL !

at first ive been like you .. it asked me a credit card too

but check just on the top of the window.. there is another button "pay with my paypal account".... the other square below, is to pay with paypal using your credit card (for what i dont see any interest imho but well)...

so at the top you have the option to link your paypal account without needing a credit card... clik here and give your email and your paypal account number... and yay !

why is the second option developed as we open the page and not the first one ? idk.... but the answer is surely in the fact, its done by LL, so it would look odd if it was different.. we are so much used with LL's skills for making anything simple looking as a brainteaser.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Phil ????

you abandoned your land ???? 

i dont understand you.... i saw you in other threads saying that LL has rights to manage their money how they want and that you understood that it wasnt maybe their decision but they have been forced to do... 

and now i read this.... 

i dont understand...

for me the only sin Ll did is how they proceed for their TOS update and their horrible communication....

id be sad to see you leave SL :smileysad:

I haven't abandoned the land you know about, Trinity. I used to have almost all of the sim where my store is but now I have just over 1/4 of it. I abandoned the rest. Soon I'll abandon some more and go down to just over 1/8 of the sim. In the last couple of days I've been moving stuff around in the store, and removing some products, in preparation for abandoning more land.

It's not because of the ToS change. I started the process several years ago largely because of other things that LL did, and I don't think it will be much longer before it's complete and the store is gone.

LL is perfectly free to do what they want and sometimes what they want is bad for their own paying customers. I haven't read many posts in this thread but I did read one person who said that s/he will have to get rid of the sim s/he rents, and that s/he has put a lot of work and money into, because s/he no longer has a way to pay the rent for it. LL could make it so that people can pay them, but they haven't done it yet. It's typical of LL, and it's typical of the reason why I won't lift a finger to help them, or pay them a penny more than is absolutely necessary.

Nope -- if anything i'm a breeder of meeroos for the last 2 years , and occasional sessions at the club .

Or are you suggesting that i'm making this up for fun ?

SL  forms a great part of my life , ive been inworld this week alone for over 85 hours , and its only lunchtime sat :)

As land rental is due tomorrow -and i run out of food for  my roos soon after that - and the exchanges shut yesterday for me , im kinda screwed , today is my usual buy Paysafe card-buy lindens day .

to go through the process of setting up an account , getting that accepted by Paypal and then hopefully buying lindens through the lindex  if sl let me , is too late - the roos die after 3 days with no food .

I can't reasonably expect my inworld landlord to let me float my rental payments the weeks it will take to get accredited to use the lindex , i have no alternative right now to returning the land , releasing or giving away my roos , and loosing 2 years of breeding progress .

So yes , while i'm not planning to leave SL - too many friends here for that, my experience has been ruined .

Fruitbat Oh wrote:

I can't reasonably expect my inworld landlord to let me float my rental payments the weeks it will take to get accredited to use the lindex , i have no alternative right now to returning the land , releasing or giving away my roos , and loosing 2 years of breeding progress .

So yes , while i'm not planning to leave SL - too many friends here for that, my experience has been ruined .

Under the current circumstances you can reasonably expect from your landlord to have a bit of patience with you, till you have set up a way to pay him. When he has the choice between loosing you as a long time renter, or wait a week or two for his money, what do you think he will prefer?

Fruitbat Oh wrote:

Nope -- if anything i'm a breeder of meeroos for the last 2 years , and occasional sessions at the club .

Or are you suggesting that i'm making this up for fun ?

SL  forms a great part of my life , ive been inworld this week alone for over 85 hours , and its only lunchtime sat
:)

As land rental is due tomorrow -and i run out of food for  my roos soon after that - and the exchanges shut yesterday for me , im kinda screwed , today is my usual buy Paysafe card-buy lindens day .

to go through the process of setting up an account , getting that accepted by Paypal and then hopefully buying lindens through the lindex  if sl let me , is too late - the roos die after 3 days with no food .

is there noone in your rl surrounding that can use his/her credit card on your account for you to buy the l$, then you give the rl money and you delete payment info files ? Then you have 1 month to settle everything for a bank account and a paypal one..

or among your sl friends, no one can help you ? even if each of them give only a few ?

i know your sadness for your meeros, i had 4 ones too.. but its virtual, even if you have real feelings for them... i have nests in my inventory i had from my meeros and i can send you some if you need in case, you cant find a quick solution for saving the ones you have now and want to restart ...

but honnestly....i understand, but there are harms more serious than loosing meeros... i know.... still a sadness.. but well, you can raise from ashes what you lost in sl... this is part of the awesome side of SL..

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

PayPal is available in all countries except a few rogue states.  I do realize some may not qualify for a credit card to verify their accounts, but a lot don't in the US either.

<snip>

Since I don't know anything about regulations in other countries it may be that they have to have a physical presence their which would probably be a deal breaker.

I spoke to a good friend who lives in Romania and asked him about this issue.  He said the only difference for him will be having to wait a bit longer in Lindex transactions, but that he is able to use it. 

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

is there noone in your rl surrounding that can use his/her credit card on your account for you to buy the l$, then you give the rl money and you delete payment info files ? Then you have 1 month to settle everything for a bank account and a paypal one..

or among your sl friends, no one can help you ? even if each of them give only a few ?

Good point, Trinity.  I know it's hard to ask for help, especially money.  Some amazing people sent lindens to me at a hard time in my SL (you know who you are and I'm so very, very grateful).  In the same manner, over the years I've given lindens to friends when needed - one very recently.  The friendships forged in SL are amazing!

Phil Deakins wrote:

Wildcat Laszlo wrote:

i already tryed that so many times .. yes i can link my dutch bank acount to paypal .. that works .. but sl dont acsept it that way .. paypal has to be linkt to a creadid card to be acsepted in sl 

I have a PayPal account, and PayPal knows nothing of my credit cards. It's linked to a bank account. I only cash out via PayPal though. It may be different when buying L$.

Phil i need you on this !!! (sorry you re the first post i can catch about this lol)

so here is what i just learn from a post from Rollig in the answer section here : 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Linden-Dollars-L/Will-third-party-banks-stop-functioning/qaq-p/2002635

"

"Often the initial agreement can't be set up due to an unverified PayPal account. To use your PayPal account with Linden Lab, it must be verified and have a credit card on file as a backup funding source.

Linden Lab does not accept e-check (bank account) payments through PayPal because they cannot be processed quickly enough to match the instant delivery of virtual goods and services.  Therefore, we require that you have a credit card on file with PayPal as a backup payment source.""

So yes or no, a paypal account does need to be linked to a credit card for being accepted by LL ???

Does anyone knows where come from this quote ????

ive never seen it anywhere . What's that now ?????

They don't. In my first few weeks I used a credit card to buy L$ via the Lindex - to buy land. That was over 6 years ago and it was the last time I paid anything to LL from the outside.

Since then, I've only cashed out. Most of the time, LL paid directly into my bank account. But since I've been letting the store run down (several years), profits have decreased beyond the point where paying directly into my bank account can happen regularly. LL won't do it with less than US$10,000. So I opened a PayPal account for LL to pay into, linking it to a bank account but not to a credit card. PayPal doesn't know that I even have a credit card. That's how I cash out now.

Any payments to LL for tier and the premium subscription are done in US$ from my SL account, and the US$ in my SL account are stocked up by converting L$ to US$ via the Lindex.

I'm puzzled by what people are saying - that LL won't accept a person's money from PayPal unless the person's PayPal account is linked to a credit card. That doesn't make sense to me. If a person has a PayPal account, and puts money into it, the money is surely good enough for any seller, regardless of what the PayPal account is linked to - credit card or bank account. Apart from that, how would LL know that a PayPal account is linked to a bank account and not to a credit card? And how would they know which bank the PayPal account is linked to? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

@Wildcat Laszlo as well.

Hmm, a prepaid creditcard should be accepted as well, I've read here on the forum that a number of residents used these
cards successfully in regard with SL(Walmart money card). And yes, prepaid creditcards should be available in practically all european countries.
Since you have to load money on these cards, before you can use them, your credit rating, state of employment or other issue should not prohibit from getting one.

I'd say do a Google search for:   prepaid kredietkaart Nederland   and look, what is on offer and compare features and fees.
When I do this search, I get quite a number of entries.

A prepaid card will also my way to replace the high quality exchange I used before this boondoggle started.

Addendum: There are issues wiith prepaid cards as well:

Issues with prepaid and gift cards

A common cause of payment method failure is the use of unsupported card types. At this time, the majority of prepaid cards are not compatible with our system, even if they bear the VISA/AMEX/Mastercard logo. This includes cards purchased at retail stores, rechargeable credit cards, and bank-issued check cards."
( http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Billing/ta-p/700037#Section_.10.8 )

One resident gave this possible reason why: "Please be advised that if its a prepaid card, it might not be accepted by LindenLabs due to the prepaid companies not allowing them from withdrawing funds on it."

So, can those residents, who got their prepaid creditcard working with SL/LindeX please state:
1.: Which card is used
and
2.: How they had setup the card/owner information etc.
to make it work.
Would help a lot of european residents.

well it doesnt make sense Phil.. they dont know if you will never buy when you register a paypal account...so maybe the rule was different when you registered yours and since then they added the rule about credit card linked to paypal but havent changed anything for those who have already registered a paypal account..its the only thing who could make sense..

otherwise its really weird..

ive read tons of pp here in the forum since the mess started some days ago, who said they have a paypal account registered and that its not linked to any CC...

and now i learn that their policy says the contrary.. so it just doenst make sense..

on top... its really discriminatory... you dont have a credit card your stuck.. no alternative.. credit card + paypal not linked to credit card is acceptable.. bec these are 2 different ways so well, not a lot of possibilities but still 2 ones, paypal not linked with CC may match with a lot of pp, except when its in country with no paypal. 

but only one way... well, their world, their rules eh ?

Phil Deakins wrote:

Any payments to LL for tier and the premium subscription are done in US$ from my SL account, and the US$ in my SL account are stocked up by converting L$ to US$ via the Lindex.

Ahh, thank you for accidentally answering a question I've had ever since this whole discussion started: What happens to people who for whatever reason can't pay mainland tier and premium account fees now that the TPE's are closing? Friends inworld can help easily with Lindens, but I couldn't see how that could be used for tier and account payments.

Obviously it can. The method you use (I didn't know I could do that because it's never been an issue: I'm a consumer) would solve the problem.

Also I didn't know what Cup Finals you were talking about back there at the half. I googled and it appears you meant the FA Cup (whatever that is). It's over now. Is Manchester City the same as Manchester United? I have said before I know nothing of British football but I am always happy to see Man U. lose. They seem to me to be the British football analog of the New York Yankees in American baseball.

lol, Dillon. I've heard of the New York Yankees, of course, but I don't know how they are regarded over there. Manchester United is the most popular football club in the world, although some people prefer to hate them. Its global popularity came about in 1958, when the team was almost wiped out in a plane crash at Munich.

The FA Cup Final is, I believe, the most watched national football (soccer) cup final in the world.

Manchester United and Manchester City are two different clubs. A number of cities in the UK have two main teams that originated on religious grounds - one catholic club and one protestant club. ManU and ManC probably originated for the same reason.

Manchester City lost, I'm pleased to say. They are in the #2 position in the league - behind ManU - and, since the league is almost finished, that's where they'll end up this year. Today's Cup Final opponents were Wigan. Wigan have avoided relegation into the next tier down for a number years by the skin of their teeth, but it really looks like their luck is about to run out this year, so it's great that they won the Cup Final. I was supporting them - from my sofa, of course :)

The Yankees are disliked by a great many people for two reasons: they win a lot, and they always will and always have spent whatever it takes to lure premier players to their franchise for that purpose. If they only won a lot because they were consistently good, they'd still have a lot of haters, but it's the money thing that makes them a target for so many more. All that being said, they are an historic team and have now and then assembled some of the (many people say THE, meaning the 1927 Yankees) greatest baseball teams in the history of the sport. That team is sort of the baseline for comparisons. The 1976 Cincinatti Reds (the Reds are the oldest pro baseball team) are often mentioned as a possible competitor.

I had never read about nor heard about the Man U plane crash. I just knew that they won a lot and were very popular around the world (as, of course, are the Yankees) so I assumed that popularity was based upon their high status. I don't like teams that people root for just because they win, especially when I have a pretty good idea said people know almost nothing about the team or the sport they play.

I shall be a Man U hater no longer.

Of the New York baseball teams, I would have favoured the Dodgers, but that was solely because Oscar (Jack Klugman) in The Odd Couple was a great supporter :) They moved to the west coast, of course.

ManU have been a major English club for a very long time, although even that club was relegated once, and it was ManC that scored the goal that sealed their relegation. But football in England took a huge turn for the worse when super-rich people, such as super-rich Arabs, started buying English clubs. The result was that clubs with super-rich owners could effectively buy the championship win by spending enormous amounts of money on the world's best players - both in transfer fees and by paying them obscenely huge wages. Chelsea bought the title that way, as did Manchester City last year. But none of them eclipsed ManU for success, even though ManU did it differently. They still have to pay those ridiculous amounts of money but they've done it by being successful and not by a super-rich benefactor buying the club and pouring obscene amounts of money into it.

That ridiculous money has ruined the English game because a huge percentage of Premier league players are from overseas, which means that the English national team has very few players to pick from. Before the money went into football, English teams were mostly made up of English players and, when they played in European competitions, it was easy to support them against foreign clubs, because they were "our" lads. But that's all changed. European matches that are shown live on TV are no longer "must see" matches for me. The only ones that are "must see" now are the 2 clubs that I support - Liverpool first and then ManU, which is strange because those clubs' local supporters 'hate' each other :)

Incidentally, Bobby Charlton - a ManU player for a long time - was one of the world's most popular footballers for a while. He became so popular because he was in the Munich plane crash and survived. That crash went around the world and caused the club and people to enter the hearts of a great many people.

A big thank you to everyone who posted in the topic.

It's a bit later. I've slept on it. I don't feel all that different than I did when I created the topic, other than perhaps less 'dread' and more acceptance. 

I think this will impact the SL economy similar to the way the land decisions impacted the SL land market.

I still haven't bought $L. What's odder is that a few days or so before this news came out, I was about to buy $L as usual and had a very strong feeling not to. Every time I went to buy anyway - same strong feeling. First time that has happened. When I get a strong feeling like that I listen to it. When something then happens I think, "oh."

It isn't like me to do something rash or impulsive. What sometimes might seem like a sudden decision has actually been kicked around in my mind and emotions over some time. Basically I look for reasons not to decide that way.

I'm heading toward paring down my SL due to this. Also due to RL finances. It's interesting to me that the RL economy and SL economy and other categories, so frequently mirror one another. That doesn't seem as true in any other virtual world, or MMPORG. I think the RL economy will hit bottlenecks like this as well and the world will keep changing in major ways. Just a hunch. What happens one place will soon happen others. Like dominos.

BitCoin had been getting press lately as a way people could be free of economic woes. Of course TPTB were going to squash it. :P

My timing wiht money usually is rotten. I've never gotten the knack of supporting my SL with SL let alone profiting. I think I will start to sell things (meeroo stuff and other second hand things), but is it smarter just to not bother, and instead, to dump or rent land?

Rather than begin a new topic to ask, I thought I'd try asking here. What do I do now? I do think SL is headed toward no cashouts by the way but that is just a guess.

Thanks again for all replies.

You can only do what you can afford to do and are able to do. But I don't understand what your problem is, Melita. It sounds like you won't be able to pay your tier, but tier is paid in US$ and not L$. How have you been paying it if the inability to buy L$ makes it not possible for you to pay it?

Anyway, if you can't get the money to whoever wants it for your land's tier each month, you have no choice but to dispose of some of, or even all of, the land.

If you have things you can sell, you could certainly try that. It would be a new interest for you and you can't lose by doing it if you only sell on the marketplace or on land that you would hang onto anyway.

Melita Magic wrote: "I do think SL is headed toward no cashouts by the way but that is just a guess."
If LL does that, that would be suicide. All those big landbarons do depend on the fact, that L$ can be converted back
to RL-money. If that is no longer possible, quite a number of these landbarons will simply close down.
A few may stay, offering payment outside SL, but most won't bother, as paying rent on small parcels with a creditcard
is simply not economical.
My vote on this: Won't happen - Unless the government prohibits cashouts in the future.

Thank you both.

To clarify: I don't pay tier in $L but I had hoped to pay my way more in SL by now. I had hoped to, if not have cash outflow, be able to at least not buy $L to spend in SL, and if not that, at least not as often.

So hte Lindex thing doesn't really impact me other than my fear is that even if I do try to sell things to balance out my expenses somewhat, no one will be able to buy.

Without being able to do that, it puts more financial strain on me. So I have been wondering if I should sell some things anyway, try to, maybe use the land for that, or just let the land go. If I let it all go would it work out more cost effectively (no tier) than if I tried to rent it (and failed) or tried to sell things from the land (which may not need that much space.)

I might begin by putting the meeroos for sale. They are meepets and are already out as a petting zoo (the food they eat is free.) I can simply mark them for sale without changing anything. But if those don't sell or sell slowly it seems silly to keep the land they are on.

I had never intended to sell the meepets, but, if the economy is going to worsen, now would be the time. And it may not work even now. I know meeroo second market sales are very slow, to no sales, according to others. Other than the meepets, meeroo nests, and some miscellaneous second hand goods no one bought last time I tried (Lol) I don't have things to sell. I never learned how to create, well enough. I really admire those who can pay their way in SL without ever buying $L.

Anyway that's my long winded explanation of what I meant by what came before this post.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.