Second Life Book Club

Donivan2009

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello 

I am extremely interested in a book club, with mature people. As, I am a mature lady

seeking intelligent friends to connect with in sl. So, look for my IM. This is something of

great interest to this lady.

Thank you, 

Lizbeth

What kind of books would you be reading? ones easily available ont he net or library? Maybe public domain books? There are a lot of older public domain books taht are quite fascinating and are readily available to the public online which might make it easier for people to get a hold of them. Infact the gutenburg project is an excellent resource for such public domain books.

It might be best to post this kind of information. Like weither your reading public domain books or not as it will make it easier for people to know if they can get ahold of the book or not. I'd like to give this a try but I don't have a lot of money to be buying books all the time so if you guys are reading public domain books lemme know.

Hi Madeline, thanks for your reply.

You brought up a good point, and I was thinking about this all day. The group is going to be very group oriented and all decision will be made as a group. I was looking at books today and I found a few public domain and free books. Also, we would try and find books that will be readily available at local libraries. But the books we choose to read will be decided on together.

If you are interested, IM me in-world and I can send you a group invite! Let me know if you have any more questions!

hi 

as an rl librarian myself, id like to congratulate you for such idea ! Its a great one indeed...It exist in a lot of rl libraries but ive never seen such group in sl... I have thought to such thing myself in the past for my group but i dont have time for managing anything like this..

I agree with Madeline, books are not cheap at all.. but i think public libraries could be a great solution, since they are done for this... but.... be aware, that sometime, you'll have to wait for the book being avalaible for you... so well, if your goal is to give only 1 week to pp for they read the book... if one in the group need to take it from the local public library, first this person will have to deal with his/her own schedule and the one fo the library, and second, s/he has to be lucky for finding right away the book as avalaible....So i think, 1 book per month will be more reasonable.. it will give time for finding the book and time for reading it (not everyone read fast or have time to read a book within a week).

Also you ll find the pb with translations, if you accept everyone in your group. Im french, and so i work in french library.. i can tell you that a lot of french book, we have are not findable in english for exemple, and its same for english books not always translated in french.. Also,.. translations , when they happen, are always coming sometimes later the book comes out in the country where it has been first published.

So im not saying, the book club is smth impossible (on the contrary) but you need to be aware about some limits you will meet since the start or later, and being aware is always great, bec you ll find a way to do even with limits...

That said, again, congrats for your project...im interested, of course, ill contact you when ill be online. i cant promise, ill be able to read all the books suggested by the group (since i have to read already a lot and have a busy schedule and bec of the translations limitations) but well, it s an exciting project ! :smileyhappy:

ps : id like also to congratulate you about the group organisation as an auto managed group, everything discussed and decided by the whole group members is not something we see really often...

Thanks for you suggestions and advice Trinity! And also the encouragement.

We won't be reading a whole book in one week! That would be pushing it a bit, lol! Instead, we will decide on the amount of pages or chapters (depending on the length of each chapter) in which we will read during the week. Then, at the weekly meeting, we will discuss and review what we have read. This will encourage open discussion and group involvement! Also, the group will be fairly small. This will allow the opportunity for us to work more closely with each other, and help each other make sure we all have access to the books we want to read. I don't want anyone left out simply because the book we have chosen isn't available to them. If we have to, we will simply choose another book. This is the advantage of having a smaller club.

Also, I thought we could have out-loud reading during some of the meetings. I have voice capabilities, so I will be able to read out loud to the group. This will also help out those who don't have access to the selected book, or have to wait for the book to become available at their local library.

Although there are no requirements to join the book club, it will be very helpful if you have a good library available to you. For those who have E-readers, we may be able to use my personal library account with the Nashville Public Library to check out digital books for those who are having difficulties. The books are automatically returned at the end of each rental term so I wont need to worry about anyone abusing my account. My local library also has thousands of good books available as digital copies!

Anyways, the possibilities are endless, and there is a solution to every obstacle. But like I said, all decisions will be discussed and decided on as a group!

Donivan

the E-reader sounds great since I have a kindle tablet, Are you saying you can send eBooks to those of us in the book club?

I've just gotten my HD Kindle tablet, with only a couple of books downloaded ( so far)

Very anxious to start this club, as this is something I would gain from. Learning is of upmost interest to me. Books give us

that insight that in my opinion nothing else can.

have a wonderful day!

lizbeth

Donivan2009 wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I am creating a book club for anyone interested in reading.

It will be a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. Please only serious and respectful people need join. IM me if you are interested and I can send you a group invite!

Thanks,

Dorian Stormwalker.

Dorian, I'm interested.  Please send me an invite.    Thanks!  : ) 

Donivan2009 wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I find that there are so many things to do in Second Life, but I wanted to do something a little different. I am creating a book club for anyone interested in reading. The club will not be affiliated with any business or store, although we may meet at local coffee houses or library's. I would like to meet weekly, on a day we can decide on as a group. If you like to read, all sorts of genres and are of a mature age, then you are welcome to join. We will decide on a book to read as a group, and decide a length of time in which to read it. We will then meet weekly to discuss the chapters or sections that were assigned to read during the past week. But keep in mind, this is not a school or job, so if you aren't able to complete the assigned reading during the week, its no big deal, but not reading the book week after week would defeat the purpose of being in the club..  We can also read together as a group. The details will be ironed out, once we get a group together.

It will be a great opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. Please only serious and respectful people need join. IM me if you are interested and I can send you a group invite!

Thanks,

Dorian Stormwalker.

I've been looking for something like this on here. Just don't know if I'd be on the same time as everyone.

What a great idea!

As some previous posters have pointed out, there is the issue of time zones. I'm UK based and not particularly at my best at 3 in the morning but I'm sure there is a workaround here somewhere.

I raise my hat to you :)

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.