In the sadness of CHUI release - we need a laugh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4037 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just ignore CHUI ... and about most anything by The Lab. Proud TPV user since 2007 and never looked back.

It is possible to run a perfect computer setup without anything made by MS or Apple or Google, so why not do the same with our virtual world?

PS: **bleep**, I forgot my blogger blog, which is powered by Google. A sad twist. Won't let that happen again. Ever!

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

davidventer wrote:

Sadness? What sadness. I F-ing love CHUI (apart from the inventory search bug and frequesnt crashes) But yeah, I LOVE it!

What about it do you think is so great?

In my opinion what makes CHUI so easy to hate is that by default it comes up fully expanded with a mind boggling amount of bells and whistles when all you want to do is say something like "Hello, why did you sit in my lap?"  If instead they created it to look almost like the old simple chat bar by default with an added button to start expanding to show its fancy features, then I think it would have been much better received.  Kind of like being permitted to unwrap a gift when you feel like it instead of it blowing up in your face.

just some tips

in Preferences can turn off all the flashing bleeping popupping stuff. by set all the conversation/chat options to none

+

if break out the public chat window from the CHUI window then close the CHUI. press Ctrl+H and you get the open chat window like before. down button to make single line and scroll text onscreen. up button for chat history. Ctrl+H to toggle open/close after that

the CHUI then only needed for IM and Group chat when do this way

Good tips. I have removed all of my tool bar buttons and just use keyboard shortcuts now. It has given me a bit more screen space and I don't have a flashing orange chat tab anymore. 

I was actually suprised that I could remove all my tool bar buttons, I should have done this a long time ago.

I still have some tool buttons on the left side my screen. but I delete the Chat button bc it open up the whole CHUI when before it just used to open the Nearby chat. so Ctrl+H for me now

+

if I could have what I wanted then I would like to be able to add toolbuttons to the Favorites bar at the top. toolbuttons to the left and fav LM to the right. i would like that (:

16 wrote:

I still have some tool buttons on the left side my screen. but I delete the Chat button bc it open up the whole CHUI when before it just used to open the Nearby chat. so Ctrl+H for me now

+

if I could have what I wanted then I would like to be able to add toolbuttons to the Favorites bar at the top. toolbuttons to the left and fav LM to the right. i would like that (:

I like having no buttons on the screen now. I figured out every task could be done with a keyboard shortcut or using the top menu. The tabs save a click, but they are unnecessary screen distractions. If I could, I would remove the place's name and description also.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

If I could, I would remove the place's name and description also.

Linden Lab viewer:

Ctrl-Shift-U

Firestorm viewer:

Ctrl-Alt-F1

Hides all UI elements leaving only the graphics screen.  Clean view of the world.  No buttons, no extra windows, no menus.  Pressing Ctrl-Shif-U (in Firestorm Ctrl-Alt-F1) again brings them back like you had them set up.

If you have HUDs attached you can hide them too:

Shift-Alt-H

(This should work in all viewers.)  Pressing again Shift-Alt-H brings the HUDs back in view.

You can tweak that with Advanced>Set Window Size. Even though there is a menu of recommended sizes, you can type in your own as 9001 x 1000 (totally made up, use the real dimensions!) if your native pixels aren't on the list. Depending on the resolution, OS, etc., this sometimes requires one more relog to make things look right.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I like having no buttons on the screen now. I figured out every task could be done with a keyboard shortcut or using the top menu. The tabs save a click, but they are unnecessary screen distractions

thats the spirit. set up the viewer to suit what works best for you (:

bc you now getting rid of UI clutter and learning the key shortcuts then you be a super gamer in no time:

if can learn how to do the shortcuts with your left hand then right hand hardly ever have to leave the mouse

can become a super freegan SL gamer shopper even. like if is a wall of MM boards then can strafe it. can cut down your freegan shopping time by heaps (:

+

strafing is when walk sideways with the camera point ahead like normal. and use the mouse to click/shoot the boards

the way i strafe the MM  boards SL freegan gamer style is lefthand WASD

little finger on SHIFT. ring finger on A. middle finger on W to go forward. S to go back. index finger on D

strafe left SHIFT+A. strafe right SHIFT+D. left mouse to click/shoot. right mouse to buy/inspect. mouse wheel to zoom

+

strafing always works good when browsing a row of vendors on a shop wall. don't have to turn walk turn to look the vendor. turn walk. turn again to look at the next vendor

for faster rezzing. i usual strafe a whole wall in a big shop just to get them in the camera viewer interest list sooner to start the texture rez process. then at the end of the wall strafe back more slowly

+

other one is using the mouse to steer. like hold down left mouse on your avatar. then W to move forward. S to go backwards. move the mouse to steer. can strafe it as well doing this way

+

other SL gamer style trick is when someone else trying to bump your avatar

can drive them insane bc you can move at funny/different angles to the usual way that most people move in SL. and they cant catch you

chuck in doubleclick ground TP to get behind them superquick then can really make them go nuts

them people give up pretty quick when they being outgamed. bc you showing that you can play better than them. and so you never have to say anything at all to them in the chat or IM. you just do it to them when they start with the bumping. and they give up pretty quick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4037 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.