why is google ad sence at the top of the marketplace blocking all the main navigation?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I really have to wonder if this is a good call?   Does it really pay that much to that it's worth making your page almost useless?   Not to mention all those 5%'s of lost sales. 

It covers everything from the left of the sign in link and all the way and as far down until it covers up all the lables for the search boxes.  This includes the navigation tabs as well.   I have to say I hate it. 

Firefox 19.0.2 is up to date

I agree the ads are a terrible idea.  This is a new "innovation" by LL to bring in more revenue.   All it does is create an annoyance.  They pop up on the account page as well as marketplace.  Marketplace is partially blocked by the right sided ad which overlaps the search button and arrow button for featured items so that I cannot scroll through them.  I just added Adblocker today and thank gawd I don't have to look at the ads anymore, but still the navigation arrow on the right won't function to scroll through featured items.  This happens whenever I have the window sized down so I can see other windows behind it.   Apparently even though the ads are now invisible they are still overlapping that side of the page.  My only option is to open the page to full size which makes it impossible to see any other windows simultaneously.  How convenient is that?  Another brilliant idea courtesy of LL.

hi,

since a few days if i want to search something on the marketplace, it brings up the results......but if i then choose to only see items ranged in a pricerange it does nothing,it keeps showing the same page...

If i give in the values to display by hand then it works.......it also works when i go to the MP by the viewer....

Even clicking on searching for a merchant/store doe nothing.

I have no idea what this can be.....

Please if anyone knows the solution i would be very happy......ty !

Innula Zenovka wrote:

While I agree the ready availability of ad-blockers makes seeing adverts optional, I suspect you may have a problem with your settings. 

I normally use Chrome with an adblocker but I checked on Firefox 19.0.2 and this is what I see:

marketplace.jpg

The adblocker for Firefox works.  I use it and see no ads.

Amber Malifozik wrote:

I really have to wonder if this is a good call?   Does it really pay that much to that it's worth making your page almost useless?   Not to mention all those 5%'s of lost sales.  

It covers everything from the left of the sign in link and all the way and as far down until it covers up all the lables for the search boxes.  This includes the navigation tabs as well.   I have to say I hate it.  

Firefox 19.0.2 is up to date

The ads are fine. LL is free to put whatever they want on their websites, and nobody has any justifiable reason to object, but sometimes website designers aren't very good and their designs can cause the problem you are seeing.

In this case, it sounds like your browser doesn't use the full width of the screen and the vertical ad is pushed in from the side, covering some of the content. It's the use of cascading style sheets (css) in the site design, which is extremely common these days, and not covering all main possibilities, that cause it.

I use Firefox 19.0.2 and no add blocker and I see only half the add on the right and I get a scroll bar at the bottom of my browser. I also get a bar across the top that says: “Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page.” with an Allow or X on the right side as options. Every time I change a page on the MP I get this message. My guess is this is how the add knows someone looked at the page, but I never hit the Allow button so not sure what is happening.

The problem is with the banner at the right side.

Since has been given the property of absolute positioning, that tells it to sit at a certain position on the screen without caring whats beneath it, also thats why it covers a part of the feature items right arrow button.

In order for things to get side by side and not covering each one, a float command must be given, but in the mp's case, since the  first thing is the whole container of the mp (the other is the goggle block), in my opinion it cant be done, it needs a total redesign.

As for the top banner, not a big deal, as in html, it pushes down the main container, not covering it.

I had a not dissimilar problem with this forum when it was first intoduced. The Answers, Forums, Blogs and Knowledge Base tabs either partially covered the lines below them or the lines below them partially covered the tabs. I forget which. I was using a current version of IE at the time but other people with the same version didn't see the same problem. The problem only disappeared for me when I got the next current version of IE. So your problem may not be the same for all Chrome users.

It happens because many websites, including this one, are designed with CSS (cascading style sheets) these days instead of mainly HTML. HTML displays pretty much the same in all browsers but CSS doesn't, and workarounds have to be included to cover the various browsers and versions. Unfortunately, designers have a tendancy to either forget browsers/versions or not to bother with some.

The problem is with positioning things on the page. The HTML table tag was designed for tables but it became used for the positioning of elements on the page, and it worked very well for that across all browsers and versions. CSS positioning would work well too if there was only one browser and version to design for. It's because each browser and version incorporates whichever of the CSS recommendations the creators fancy incorporating, and they don't all fancy the same.

If website designers used a bit of common sense, and used HTML where it works better than CSS, then problems such as these wouldn't occur. I think it's a matter of CSS pride, which is really stupid.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.