Route 66?

Ricky40

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

It wouldn't be hard to recreate a small part of old 66.  Just create an abandoned building and throw some tumbleweeds in front of it.

Heck, most of SL looks like that anyhow.

I think you underestimate the challenge...

Mother Road.jpg

TexacoSpaceship3.jpg 

TMR was created by Renn Luik and Macolinn McMillan, two native Japanese who admittedly suffered from faux American nostalgia. The care they took in constructing the place was evident at every turn. I miss it.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Kelli May wrote:

I don't know much about it, but I hear it's a good place to get your kicks.

Now you've done it. She'll be at this for hours ;-).

Pffft!

(:

will never die while is new generations who understand these things

they about 15 and 16 these boys now. they were like only 12 and 13 when they started out. they pretty good. new oldschool style (:

I love it, 16!

Here's a Japanese Big Band cover to compliment the Japanese creators of "The Mother Road"...

Manhattan Transfer...

Rolling Stones (1964)...

Brian Setzer...

Munich Swing Orchestra...

The Dutch swing it too...

The girls do it proud (I love this!)...

And finally...

http://vimeo.com/16837855

Don't you say a word, Dillon.

My favorite is the one from the BFJO. The kids can play. Seriously.
There is a channel with a fat load of videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bfjofan3/videos?view=0
One excellent performance after another.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote: "SL has way too much of the decayed looking builds IMO,  Its has become cliche."

I don't understand, why so much needs to look like 1970s New York or like Oslar Petroleum
Thanks to Google Streetview, there is almost a whole planet, that could be used as an inspiration.
And regarding recreating the 66 in its heydays, there is enough photographic material on the net to make that possible.

Jadeclaw Denfu wrote:

My favorite is the one from the BFJO. The kids can play. Seriously.

There is a channel with a fat load of videos:

One excellent performance after another.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote: "SL has way too much of the decayed looking builds IMO,  Its has become cliche."

I don't understand, why so much needs to look like 1970s New York or like Oslar Petroleum

Thanks to Google Streetview, there is almost a whole planet, that could be used as an inspiration.

And regarding recreating the 66 in its heydays, there is enough photographic material on the net to make that possible.

I agree Jadeclaw, the kids are fantastic.

I'm not a fan of the post apocalyptic / decayed look either, unless the sim is empty and I can imagine it's all mine and I can fix it up.

My parents spent their honeymoon traveling Route 66. By the time I was old enough for road trips, it had been forgotten, bypassed by the Interstate system. The Mother Road was a beautiful build, as evocative as AM Radio's "The Expansion and The Far Away". The buildings in both of those settings were used, but neither worn out nor neglected. 

My three favorite sims in all of my five years in SL have been "The Expansion and The Far Away", "The Mother Road" and another Japanese creation called "Nah!". That sim was perpetually dark and rainy, with a dimly lit footpath and lightning/thunder off on the horizon. All of these sims were, for me, perfect places to sit and think. Sadly, they are all gone, so I must now think on my feet.

Once I saw Lynda's and 16's posts I knew you'd cut loose ;-). I don't recall that BFJO one, either. Can't wait to have a chance to get my ears on and listen. I have to say I was a little bit disappointed. What about Buckwheat Zydeco and Asleep at the Wheel?

The fun would be to create a Route 66 sim depicting it in is heyday using some of its more iconic buildings.  SL has way too much of the decayed looking builds IMO,  Its has become cliche.

I think it would be fun to have a build that was scripted to show the change in a stretch of Route 66 -- the road coming through, roadside structures arising, degrading, being replaced, etc.-- a sort of time-lapse with, say, sixty years compressed into an hour of Second Life.

Regarding the decayed look, it's similar to a challenge for theatre properties managers. I think it's simply easier to get a feel of realism with the super-grunged look of advanced decay, and much harder to get just that slight "patina" of use, or the minor imperfections in even the newest RL objects, lost when simplified into a clean-textured build.

I've discovered only a very few builders who've mastered that "just right" patina. Surprisingly enough, there are good examples in very early SL textures, notably some in Eric Linden's various Telehub builds.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Once I saw Lynda's and 16's posts I knew you'd cut loose ;-). I don't recall that BFJO one, either. Can't wait to have a chance to get my ears on and listen. I have to say I was a little bit disappointed. What about Buckwheat Zydeco and Asleep at the Wheel?

KK!

Buckwheat Zydeco...

Asleep at the Wheel...

Diana Krall and Natalie Cole...

Natalie's Pop... 

Bucky's Kid...

Julie Minami...

Pappo...

The Pied Pipers...

Tierney Sutton...

Elfa's Voices and Jazz Band (from Indonesia)...

Aura Urziceanu Rully (after shushing the piano player's "How High the Moon" ;-)...

The Four Freshmen (Japan 1964, starting at 3:38)...

Bossa Nova Beatnicks...

The Fintan Gilligan Trio (Ireland)...

Say-Go & 加地なお子...

Alexander!...

Nick Jones...

Cheetah Girls...

And the last nail in the coffin...

How's that for taking a perfectly good idea and driving it into the ground?

;-)

Ricky40 wrote:

I have been searching for a sim that looks like a section of Route 66, I think it is called the mother road or something, it looks like a popular photo spot. Anyone know where this might be?

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

It wouldn't be hard to recreate a small part of old 66.  Just create an abandoned building and throw some tumbleweeds in front of it.

Heck, most of SL looks like that anyhow.

I think you underestimate the challenge...

Mother Road.jpg

TexacoSpaceship3.jpg

TMR was created by Renn Luik and Macolinn McMillan, two native Japanese who admittedly suffered from faux American nostalgia. The care they took in constructing the place was evident at every turn. I miss it.

Alas.

Gone for good.

:robotsad:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.