New (fake users) and the forum

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Monti. A new user receives a welcome email which is NOT an activation one. He can post immediately on these forums. The only restriction is he can't insert an image before he's posted at least twice, same for giving kudos. So yes, I agree, maybe having them wait for a few days before they are allowed to post could help, but I doubt it would completely discourage them... :smileyfrustrated:

Yes that probably should be done since they have been unable secure these forums from it. Some users have claimed they have been able to post on these forums without even logging in .

I do not think it would dicourage users as long as they have read access but then it may pose a problem for Second Life Answers when  new users needs help fast. waiting 3 days tro ask a question may be discouraging

Who knows, but I think the spam can be more discouraging than making them wait because finding their answer in the flood of Spam is impossible sometimes

there was a time i thought where there was a 10 day period before someone could post on the forums..unless they were premium..

something like that..

i remember when wasted was around..he would wait it out then post up and then it would be another week or 10 days before we would see him again ..that was like close to the end before he went to slu..

we had harldy no spam at all around that time..

then every so often we woudl get a rush..then it would be quiet for a good while..

that was after it was really bad..like when they would start after LL went home for the weekend and not get rid of it till like monday..then it would happen all through the week as well..

that time period slowed them down dramatically..

While some of the spam comes from one day old accounts, not all of it does.

The 'professional spammers' are not stupid.  They build up a bank of accounts and let them age because they know many Forums have age of account restrictions.

There is even business in creating and selling blocks of 'fake E mail addresses' that can be used for this purpose.

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Yes that probably should be done since they have been unable secure these forums from it.
Some users have claimed they have been able to post on these forums without even logging in .

I can confirm that. I was involved in a 'photo story' that was all done on the Forum a couple years ago. We had a sort of loosely defined scenario and a bunch of people got involved, posting pics and adding snippets to the story. At one point I felt like it needed an 'outside' post, so I created an account right then and made my post (which did not include an image or link). Never logged in with that alt. Still haven't, for that matter.

The one and only time I've posted as an alt :-).

ETA: Actually I may have remembered that wrong. Don't you have to go through the login process to finish creating the account? It's been so long I can't remember for sure. I know I never did anything with that alt but it's possible I logged in once.

Perrie Juran wrote:

The 'professional spammers' are not stupid.  They build up a bank of accounts and let them age because they know many Forums have age of account restrictions.

Yep:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2013/01/02/new-theory-on-sl-signups-that-never-seem-to-join-theyre-forum-spam-bots/

They will create acounts in the thousands per day, and then idle them for weeks or months.

It wouldn't be fair in the lease for a new user to not be able to post on fourms, email verification yes (and a little lindens should come with that just saying). But if a new user was having a problem the residents are way more helpful than the staff and most moderators.

Miserlie wrote:

It wouldn't be fair in the lease for a new user to not be able to post on fourms, email verification yes (and a little lindens should come with that just saying). But if a new user was having a problem the residents are way more helpful than the staff and most moderators.

i believe they could read the forums  but just couldn't post up..

not unless they were premium..

a lot were pretty much stuck with outside forums and google..

a lot of places have that kind of policy..

some won't let you post at all until you are a paying customer..

the delay was nice for a break in the spam..but things like that are always short lived anyways..

they always find a way to keep coming back hehehe

Would it hurt new users that much if they only could read the forums or be directed to the knowledge base ?

Most questions are answered in the knowledge base and the common reply from helpers is a link there ...

Anyway it´s all speculative because i doubt LL will do any change to the forum.

Thank you all for the input !

Monti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.