why do my avatar's parts show through some tops?

angiewolf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i recently bought an outfit, (not cheap either) but when i unpacked it and put it on, my (sorry dontwanna get my question booted off) two secondary female sexual characteristics show through the top. So to stop this i had to resize it ridiculously large. Now you can see everything down the top. I have FREE tops that work better than this. Is there something aside from "stretch" that can be done for an article of clothing to make it conform better to your shape if it doesnt automatically do so? (by the way it isnt that my avi has huge.. Parts. Theyre in the low 60's) in case that was your thinking- thanks in advance.

sounds like the top is an object rather than a layer. perhaps you shouldnt buy from this designer and look for quality disgner wear? it is difficult to know without seeing whats happening, but i can imagine.  just sayin. did you use wear, or attach? try some differant options when you right click.

Did you resize it using a HUD or a menu?  If so it only resizes all over and it sounds like you only needed to resize it in selected dimensions.  If it is mod you can do this using the edit box, but it it isn't modifiable than you can't.  If you don't know how to edit using the edit tools you should ask a friend to help you or go to New Citizens Inc. and ask for their assistance.  It is a skill everyone needs to learn if you care about you prim clothes fitting correctly.

If it is no mod, I would contact the creator and see what they can do to help you make it fit better.  Most designers will help you out. 

This is why when I look at clothes that are made from prims, sculpts or non rigged mesh I make sure they modifiable before I buy them.  If the only way they can be altered is through a resize script I don't buy them.

Always look for information to tell you these bits of information:

Is the item sculpty, mesh, or "system clothes" / painted on clothing?

'system' / painted on clothing, aka old clothing, texture based clothing, normal, or whatever people might call it... sometimes just clothing... will anyone of any shape. But tends to look like body paint on a nude person... Because that is exactly what it is.

Nevertheless its still very popular as it was the only choice for many years.

Sculpty items can have decently moderate detail, but are solid pieces. You can only stretch them or shrink them. And only as a whole unless you grab single individual 'pieces' of them and shrink or grow those. But these are like wearing solid plastic sculptures on your body - they will not bend when you move, so it is very common for them to poke through during animation.

Mesh items can have from poor detail to photoreal detail. Quality of the 3D modeler's skills and the skills of the person who textured them. They come as rigged and unrigged. Most clothing is rigged.

If unrigged they behave exactly the same as sculpty does - right down to popping in and out when animated.

If rigged they will move and bend with the body - but only as well as the maker of the 3D model "rigged" them (a process where they tell them where to bend when a part of the body bends - its common on low quality mesh for this to be a little off causing them to seem to rip or tear).

Well made mesh will flow perfectly with the body.

Mesh automatically changes its size in "some" dimensions to fit the person wearing it - things like height / length / width mostly. But do not for others - like body fat or muscle. This has to do with rigging. If the part of the shape would change where a rig point is - the mesh can understand that and resize to fit. If not, the mesh has no idea the shape has changed.

Mesh items are all built to fit someone's particular shape. If you do not match that shape in the parts that are not rigged, it will pop through.

To help this mesh pop through, designers have come up with two things: alpha maps and sizing programs. Alpha maps make parts of your body insivible so they won't show when they pop through. Even when a mesh item fits 100%, wearing the maps helps you animate better when moving fast like dancing, or extreme like curling up on a sofa.

Sizing programs are meant to let you know what dials have what settings on shapes, so you can pick a size close to yours and adjust a copy of your shape to be exact. The most popular sizing program is called the "Standard Sizes".

- It is almost the only sizing program, but at least one popular maker of mesh items has chosen not to follow it, leaving one second option out there... (this maker makes items that other people "texture" or color, and then sell. Templates... so while only one maker has refused to go along, her stuff is sold in many shops). To make it more complex, this one maker has not publicly given us the numbers she does use... And her "kits" for shops are the lowest priced ones available, so they are common enough...

- I recommend everyone have three shapes...

1. Their personal favorite body dimensions.

2. A copy of that set to one of the numbers for the standard sizes.

3. A copy designed to fit the above maker, made from guessing and looking for pop through...

If you have 1 and 2, and then buy only mesh clothing in the "standard sizes", almost all of the headaches of fitting clothing will vanish for you.

- But this not always possible as there is still a lot of great stuff only made in sculpty form.

But there's no reason to ever be buying texture-map old style clothes anymore... It looks dated, because it is... and it makes a person look like someone who has a computer that cannot run the current versions of Second Life.

It sounds like the top is made out of multiple prims. If you're trying to stretch something made of multiple prims you can only resize it evenly all over using the white handles --- UNLESS you select the box labled 'Edit Linked." After that you can just select one of the prims making up that object. You should be able to resize its length, width and height individuallly then, which will make it easier to custom fit it to your shape. You'll probably have to edit several of the prims and move others to get it to look right. This is a very fussy operation; always make a copy of the clothing piece before you try it.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

But there's no reason to ever be buying texture-map old style clothes anymore... It looks dated, because it is... and it makes a person look like someone who has a computer that cannot run the current versions of Second Life.

A matter of opinion and personal taste and a prejudicial statement

I hate long mesh skirts because they have no flow when you dance,  They look like they are made of some horrid combination of foam rubber and marshmallows and stick unnaturally to your legs.  Mesh gowns are OK for photo shoots or standing around admiring your avatar but look very ugly and awkward in my opinion when you move a lot in them.  Give me a well made flexi prim gown any day for dancing.

Mesh hair does the same thing and all long hair I've seen looks lumpy like it was made from playdough and not individual hair strands. 

Mesh is not a good thing for use when you need the material to be very thin, like silk.  It is too thick and again looks like foamrubber.  It is good though for items such as sweaters where the material is bulky and loose on the body.

Lastly most mesh clothing so far looks like conservative RL clothing and some can look down right frumpy IMO.  If conservative RL is your style then great.  I like it for business clothes.  But sometimes I want to wear fantasy clothing that I can't in RL and mesh doesn't fill this bill.

Actually most people I know find that mesh is just another option in the tool box and not the be all and end all of having a good looking avatar that bloggers want you to believe. Ask a large number of people and you will find that a large percentage if not the majority of non fashionista residents don't agree with your statement.

Bottom line is I will continue to wear traditional clothing for some things and mesh, if I can find it to fit, for others,at least until mesh always acts like RL fabric and hair. I am not against mesh per say, I just don't like it for everything as it stands now.   I really don't care if that makes you think my computer is not 'good enough' for you.  .My computer is 'good enough' to wear any clothing on the market.  I dress to please myself with some accommodation to what my partner likes not what so called fashion authorities think.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I hate long mesh skirts because they have no flow when you dance,  They look like they are made of some horrid combination of foam rubber and marshmallows and stick unnaturally to your legs.  Mesh gowns are OK for photo shoots or standing around admiring your avatar but look very ugly and awkward in my opinion when you move a lot in them.  Give me a well made flexi prim gown any day for dancing.

I am going to agree 100% with this assessment.  All that has been done is trading off one visual anomaly for a different one.  I'll take the anomalies you see with flexi skirts and hair over the ones you see with mesh any day.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I am going to agree 100% with this assessment.  All that has been done is trading off one visual anomaly for a different one.  I'll take the anomalies you see with flexi skirts and hair over the ones you see with mesh any day.

I don't agree with that. I have a mesh miniskirt in my inventory and its the only miniskirt that works that good.

Normal miniskirts were always kind of...not there at all. You had to have legs as tin as a pen to wear them without having your legs constantly out of the skirt, no matter if standing around or dancing (even a normal AO animation was too much). Short dresses where a hell too. It was impossible for most creators so they made a prim to put infront or between the legs to make it look like a dess (no need to say that stuff never matched with the layer).

But what still lets my eyes bleed are shoes that go over the knee. You can't make that with normal prims. It looks even more horrible than the noob bling shoes. Mesh instead creates shoes that act like this kind of shoes should act, the stay at the leg, no scary bobble popping out of it.

The problem with most meshhair today is that they are under a horrible influence of the invisible ponyriders. They prefer that puffy style and I see this kind of species in clubs. They are also the reason for many other ugly fashion trends happening to mesh.

Yeah - mesh skirts are one of the things that has been the biggest improvement for mesh. No more leg popping. But it does mean you need to design for it. The flowing aspect of long flexis are gone - but those always looked horried anyway due to leg popping.

Mesh hair - this really depends on styles. Many of the makers are making styles that should flow, as mesh, which doesn't. In time mesh hair is going to be ideal for me - its ideal for hair that is more static, like African hair naturally is. Though I lose out on the flowing that long dreads have. For medium and short styles of African hair it would be ideal. One recent set of dreads I bought was a mix of flexi and mesh. Of course this means dealing with the pop-through that flexi has...

I'm not into tramp-wear anymore, so the styles often seen in mesh clothing work well for me much of the time. But I have seen some pretty racey stuff in mesh (there are already people making pants and skirts so low that your frontal goods are on display, just as is often seen in bodypaint clothes, and I've seen plenty of mesh shirts with a boob or two popping out), just as I have seen attempts to make body-paint that was not sluttish.

However with old clothes being painted on - when it goes all the way down your butt-crack... or perfectly flush with the bosom in a skin tight manner... its painted on, bodypaint not clothing, and the person basically looks nude... Even if the outfit has a normal cut.

Most of the mesh I see just looks more like things I would find in a local department store. Some of the styles dated, thanks to SL being "older folks" more often. But not always.

• 2 weeks later...

totally agree. right now mesh is still new. it makes up a small minority of clothing options, it can be complicated (especially due to the lack of a deformer), customer support in some stores is limited to "try the demo first", and, as she said, the movement is limited. there's also the problem that you often times can't layer mesh. i think there's still a lot of room left for the older methods. as for how it looks, i buy dresses from what is widely considered one of the best stores in sl and NO ONE has ever said, "Wow. That looks outdated. Get a new computer."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.