Sim Crossing + Mesh = Invisibility?

Marianne McCann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So this is somethign I've been curious about for some time. I've noticed when sim crossing in a mesh-based vehicle, it will often vanish on a sim crossing, or parts will vanish. They'll sometimes come back on the next cross, or sometimes by touch (which can be detrimental to physical travel) or moving the came in or out.

While it's really very "Wonder Woman-y" to be flying around in an invisible plane, it's also a bit disconcerting. Anyone know why this happens, and if there is some way to lessen theeffect?

I can only guess it is the same thing that happens sometimes when I teleport to different places and some of my mesh hair or clothing disappears, it too comes back by clicking it or after another teleport.

I don't know why it happens, but for me personally, setting my MeshMaxConcurrentRequests to 1000 seems to have almost completely solved it for me. Using Google's DNS may also have helped, back when I was having problems seeing mesh, those two things helped.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Wheres-the-Mesh-o-O/m-p/1579029#M69158

Not sure it's exactly the same phenomenon or not, but I've seen the same general behavior with attached ordinary prims--not even sculpties--when crossing region borders or teleporting... for so long I'm not sure it's ever not done that.

For me, it most often happens with hair, regardless of style. I still favor hair with mostly non-flexi prims, some flexis, and a sculpt or two in the linkset, but I really don't think it matters: Any or all of them may disappear until clicked. That's in my own viewer; no idea how it looks to others.

For Vehicles, at least, the sim-crossing process is complicated. If I read things right, and this is scattered through a whole range of JIRA-entries and old Office Hour transcripts, there's a forced unsit at the start , the vehicle and the passengers are transferred independently, and then they automatically sit back on the vehicle.

Since vehicles can have multiple passengers, it does make some sense, but it also explains some of the things that go wrong. I've had my AV dumped at 0,0,0 while the vehicle is eventually returned from some parcel several sims distance.

Mesh vehicles seem to take longer to make the passage, which may be part of the problem.

I do sometimes wonder if people have got the trick of designing good SL meshes. At the rendering stage, everything is triangles, always has been, but getting the mesh from one computer to another seems to be where things choke for mesh.

Vehicles ≠ Attached hair.  :matte-motes-big-grin: It's not the mesh queue in this instance (I'm familiar with that issue, though!)

None of thse are vehicles with attached bits. All standalone. And the crossings themselves are relatively smooth. It's just that the vehicle goes invisible. The non mesh parts (if there are any) remain, but the mesh bits vanish. Or many/most of them do.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Not sure it's exactly the same phenomenon or not, but I've seen the same general behavior with
attached ordinary prims
--not even sculpties--when crossing region borders or teleporting... for so long I'm not sure it's ever not done that.

For me, it most often happens with hair, regardless of style. I still favor hair with mostly non-flexi prims, some flexis, and a sculpt or two in the linkset, but I really don't think it matters: Any or all of them may disappear until clicked. That's in my own viewer; no idea how it looks to others.

I can confirm this. Though the stuff that disappears the most often are:

- Mesh stuff

- Hair (mesh or not)

- Jewelry (earrings, collars, etc)

- Shoes

However for me teleporting somewhere else does NOT solve the problem, only a relog will those items re-appear.

I am afraid this is definitely a new bug. My mesh boats are rideable vehicles, so no attachments ! At some crossings the boat just vanishes and it are always the same sims where this happens. Besides that, it started to happen after a major update some weeks ago. Clicking the boat will resolve it but clicking a vehicle is not very handy when sailing or flying, sailors and pilots know what I mean.

Edit :  Just talked to some sailors. it is not a bug, it are your graphics so I was told. Clicking the vehicle will help but then the vehicle stops. First press control/alt and then click the vehicle, it will rezz again without a stop.

Ina Fairport wrote:

Edit : 
Just talked to some sailors. it is not a bug, it are your graphics so I was told. Clicking the vehicle will help but then the vehicle stops. First press control/alt and then click the vehicle, it will rezz again without a stop.

I have a mesh boat, sometimes parts of it vanish in sim crossings. I can render it back by right clicking on it. The boat stops for a while but then soon continues on its course. This vanishing is very annoying.

• Are the sailors you talked to sure it's not a bug?

• Are they sure that it's the users graphics?

- -  If it is, what's wrong with the users graphics? How to fix it?

• Are they really sure, what they are telling, is the truth of this matter?

Just asking. :smileyindifferent:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.