Anyone know if direct delivery still has a deadline of October 1st?

Richie Kanto

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know if direct delivery still has a deadline of October 1st and what does this mean to us all?

Will the magic boxes in world be shut down on October 1st, or if not when are they going to no longer be an option to use?

Is Linden Labs still planning to give at least two weeks notice before "forcing" anyone to move to direct delivery (as they promised) or was the notice that was given back in July that this goes into effect on October 1st serve as that two weeks notice (my calendar says two weeks from October 1st was yesterday, but I've heard nothing new)?

Why has nothing new been posted on the direct delivery update page since July 31st? Is everything "fixed" or is LL still working on fixes and if they're still working on things what's still not working right?

Anyone with real information on this (not just rumors and guesses) I'd appreciate knowing... respond here or if you prefer message me in world. Thanks.

They also said they wouldn't deploy any DD code without notice, and yet that's exactly what happened on 13 September 2011.

Magic Boxes SHALL be shut off on 1 October and the permissions problem will not yet be solved.

More than likely, merchants will be told at that point to work around the permissions problem by selling their stuff in-world.

This has been in the works since the change from Xstreet to SLM and all the signs have been there for many months, so please all don't be surprised by it when it happens.

Kampu Oyen wrote:

They also said they wouldn't deploy any DD code without notice, and yet that's exactly what happened on 13 September 2011.

Magic Boxes
SHALL
be shut off on 1 October and the permissions problem will not yet be solved.

More than likely, merchants will be told at that point to work around the permissions problem by selling their stuff in-world.

This has been in the works since the change from Xstreet to SLM and all the signs have been there for many months, so please all don't be surprised by it when it happens.

I would say it is "possible" the boxes will be shut off on October 1st, but I respectfully disagree with emphatically saying they "shall."  That is your opinion, Kampu.  Perhaps with some past experience behind it, perhaps pure speculation, but the OP asked for facts.  The fact is...none of us know for sure beyond the last CTL communication that indicated Magic Boxes will not be shut off until the permissions are fixed and will give 4 weeks notice.

Whether they adhere to that is anyone's guess, but at this point, it is not a fact. ;)

Hello Porky Gorky,

Thank you for contacting Linden Lab Support!

Customer Support has not been provided with any information regarding the end date of the Magic Boxes.

The Commerce Team will post to the Merchants Forum with any new or updated information when it is available.

Please monitor the Merchants Forum for posts from the Commerce Team
http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/bd-p/Merchants

Please let me know if there's anything further I can assist you with.

Thank you for being a valued resident of Second Life! Have a great day!

Kind Regards,
SuzanneI Scout
www.secondlife.com
Linden Lab Support

This was released just 2 hours ago....

Reply to CommerceTeam Linden- view message

2 hours ago

The transition from Magic Boxes to Direct Delivery has been extended indefinitely. We will be providing a 30-day warning before any shutdown actions are taken and will avoid doing this before peak holidays for the Marketplace (Halloween, Christmas/New Year's, Valentine's Day).
We are aware that some Merchants are still having problems with the Merchant Outbox. We are are working with TPVs and our internal development teams to address this issue.

The MB deadline has now been put off indefinitely.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Reply to
-

2 hours ago

The transition from Magic Boxes to Direct Delivery has been extended indefinitely. We will be providing a 30-day warning before any shutdown actions are taken and will avoid doing this before peak holidays for the Marketplace (Halloween, Christmas/New Year's, Valentine's Day).

We are aware that some Merchants are still having problems with the Merchant Outbox. We are are working with TPVs and our internal development teams to address this issue.

Kampu, do you want to shout "shall" at me again. *Chuckles*

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Reply to
-

2 hours ago

I know. 

Kampu Oyen wrote:

You're all quite welcome.

Let this be a lesson to you in how best to force another's hand.

I have no idea what you mean but assume you are taking credit for something or other AND that you are backpedaling away from your statement that Oct 1 the Magic Boxes SHALL be shut down, even if there is no 4 week warning. 

Porky Gorky wrote:

Yay.....another victory for the lazy!

/me starts a mexican wave.

Woohoo yes this victory is good news! My avatar here has been very lazy lately! Myself, I've been too busy in real life, launching my first real tech product into real world. So meanwhile my av here gets some well needed rest.

Lately all she does is sleep 99% of the time :matte-motes-asleep-2:

Anyway yes it is very nice Linden Lab relented from jamming us into their hectic work schedules. Only fair though when they are demanding we take time out of our lives to do 100% of the transition work as free labor! I simply do not have time to relist and rebox 300+ items, don't know when I will.

Every other company does transitions like this seamlessly where all we might do is click an 'okay' button or something like that.

I wish LL got smarter & automate this type of thing in future.

No backpedaling.

I am taking credit, and if you don't think the kind of action I took explains the outcome, then you obviously didn't see how CTL reacted to things like the exposure of the MadMen promotion or to user email to Valve regarding the JIRAs.

People in insecure executive positions can often be manipulated into doing something different from what they intend merely by being shown publicly as being broadly predictable. This is because it draws into question why they should be paid to make decisions that others are fully capable of making for them completely for free.

More than that, most people, but especially dysfunctional people, harbor and cling to the delusion that their own actions are only less predictable to others than to themselves.

In the case of passive-agressive people, especially, the lack of control they feel in their own lives is partially compensated-for in the feeling of control they get over others by posing unpleasant surprises. Predicting the surprise exposes the passive-agressive to his own lack of control over his need to control others in one way or another.
The result is practically always a momentary change in the behavior pattern, and usually consists of some kind of over-reaction.

The over-reaction in the JIRA email issue was simply to hide the JIRAs.

The over-reaction to the word "shall" is the word "indefinitely".

So, again, yes, you're very welcome.

CTL may be starting to realize she's using checkers strategy in this little chess game, but simply knowing that doesn't seem to have helped her very much.

What I claim in this instance, specifically, is that the insistence on "shall" resulted in the overreaction of "indefinitely".

You don't need a magic 8-ball to predict CTL if you don't care to interfere with the process, because CTL, left to her own devices, is as reliable as a broken clock. This has been made as plain to you over the last year as is the nose on your face. Just scroll back about a year and read. It's all there.

But CTL is also more and more predictable each time that she has not been left to her own devices and each time that we have been able to study how she responds to specific types of stimuli.

CTL is prone to overreaction if propely provoked and we have seen this several times times now.

For example...

To remove a graphic "MadMen5" and replace it with the same graphic with a different name accomplished nothing in terms of protecting LL from the lawyers at Lions' Gate, who had already been directed to it in the original version. But to replace it was tantamount to an admission that it was wrong to post in the first place. Thus, the replacement was an overreaction in terms of producing a new problem without improving an existing problem. A more well-considered response would have been to accelerate the next promotion and get it listed as quickly as possible.

To hide the JIRAs was an overreaction to Valve being alerted to them because it didn't really make the JIRAs unavailable for continued examination by Valve's people, while, again, hiding them did produce a totally new problem. Because the hiding doesn't really hide what already exists, the hiding is tanatmount to an admission that there will yet be substantially more things to similarly hide. Thus, CTL continues to dig her own grave by not having well-calculated responses to such things prepared before they happen.

And if you think CTL doesn't similarly react to things posted on this forum, you are certainly incorrect. Threads on this forum that should frighten CTL often get deleted not in hours, but in minutes. People see them, see what they are, and then see that they are suddenly gone. Everyone can see what she's doing here if they will take the time to watch.

To pretend that we don't already see what CTL intends to do next is a great strategy if it's what we actually want her to do. But if we don't want that to happen, it's much better to show a total commitment. I used the word "shall" because it's what Sun Tzu would have advised me to use. It was too important not to use in this case, finally, because of the 4th Quarter.

Merchants now at least stand some kind of a chance to move their no-transfer Halloween items via the SLM. If I had not said "shall", CTL probably would not have felt sufficiently challenged in order to cancel her immediate plan to (again) screw up Halloween sales.

So again, yes, you're welcome.

Kampu Oyen wrote:

Magic Boxes
SHALL
be shut off on 1 October and the permissions problem will not yet be solved.

For the record. 

Then again, if what they responded to was the support ticket Porky sent in, mentioned in this thread your whole scenario falls apart.

Besides, they're too busy with other products they're getting around to releasing.

If you want an evil conspiracy, consider LL's new Creatorverse product. This is an obvious theft of Professor Phineas J. Whoopee's 3D Blackboard (otherwise known as 3DBB) from the 1960's cartoons Tennessee Tuxedo and Underdog.

Professor Whoopee should be contacted immediately.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.