Lightest viewer to run SL - lowest graphics setting, no mesh?

Emma Krokus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

You've tried all the lightest viewers then Emma.

Could your laptop and fans be full of dust and overheating? Maybe get it cleaned out.

This was the problem with my MacBook Pro years ago. I was always impressed by how quietly it ran SL, until the crashing started. It was then that I discovered the GPU cooling fan had inhaled the fuzz equivalent of a chipmunk and jammed. I was able to disassemble the thing to blow out the fuzz, after which SL hummed right along.

Emma Krokus wrote:

Hi guys
:)

Looking for the least demanding viewer to run SL on laptop that gets really hot.

Windows 7 OS.

Don't need to see mesh - lowest graphics setting is ok.

Don't want just text either though.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks!

Emma
:)

Emma there is something else that you can do for free.

Edit the Windows shortcut that runs the viewer and add at the end of the command line:-

-cooperative 20

You can play with the number but that's a good starting point.  It stops the viewer using as much CPU as it can and makes it yield a bit.  Yes the frame rate will be a bit lower but you can fiddle to get something that works. 100 will make it yield a lot more but will impact the frame rate much more.

I have a laptop that if I let the viewer run normally, the keyboard rises to very uncomfortable temperatures and the bottom of the case reaches over 60 degrees C.

With the above added and a laptop cooler, it's very cool all round and if it's the difference between a bit of a compromise or cooking the laptop, since this just runs my store demo model, i'll go with not cooking the laptop.

Emma Krokus wrote:

Thanks Alena - I've tried that, runs worse than my old old SLViewer1. 

And btw - that is one scary badge picture!!

Agree on both counts.  That badge picture is going to give me nightmares. *Shudders* /remembers the name "alena Dotcheva" and makes note to quickly zip past any posts made in future.

Hi Emma :)  Imprudence was always recommended to me a couple years ago, but it always froze on my PC.   My current PC is old so I keep the settings low, draw distance no more than 64m, it can't use any mesh viewers, etc.  Phoenix 1.5.2.1185 works the best for my PC. :)

I do fine with SIngularity on my old pc - which I can't use atm, but with the draw distance right down to 24m...

But the laptop runs too hot with that and the SLViewer 1 is the best of what i've tried...

So, I think it's deep breath for me, try Sassy's shortcut adaptation first and get lapto cleaned out asap.

Emma :)

looks like you going to have to try and clean it

if you do then best get a can of compressed air to blow it out

I actual read about not to use the vacuum cleaner before I done mine. that is best to blow the dust out. so I use my hair dryer and a makeup brush. the lappy went from kinda working to not working at all after that. then it jumped off the table all by itself and threw itself on the floor and broke like completely. stupid thing (:

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.