NON mesh fashions?

Melita Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One non mesh shop I feel has been overlooked here is M&M, She is attempting to overcome the limitations imposed by non mesh design in a clever way, also Snowpaws is always worth a visit.

Slightly off topic here, as a relative newcomer to SL, I have noticed that a few designers have been forced by pre mesh limitations into creating looks that get around those limitations believably and may have fallen into a comfort zone of sorts. Hopefully deformer will fix that and we will have more options in our inventories

Actually, there are a few more reasons than hardware. I love mesh, for things like buildings, scenery, and furniture. When I see something I like, whether or not it's mesh isn't usually evena  factor. But for clothes....

Mesh isn't resizable by the end user. Neither is system clothes, realy, but when you buy non mesh, it's guaranteed to fit. Mesh requires a bit more thinking and planning of the buyer. Also, there are several non-standard shaped avatars out there who mesh may not look the best on. Girls who are either larger or smaller breasted than average, for example. Fat avatars. Extremely tall or short avatars.... If your size is close to one of the standard sizes, mesh does look better though.

There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding mesh fashion. The system clothes have been around forever, and mesh is just another option. And system clothes will be around for a long time to come. Why? Because for how short of a lifespan mesh and rigged mesh has had, There is alrady talk of changes that'll make current mesh clothing obsolete. I think the deformer is going to be the best thing that has ever happened to mesh, but at the same time, it makes me feel that right now is NOT the time to buy.Mesh clothes that automatically fit, that I don't have to wear a demo and cam all over myself? Yeah, I'll wait for that and stick to system clothes until it comes out. That actually would do away with the one and only disadvantage Mesh has.  But then, by the time I'm ready to buy, is there going to be something better that makes THAT obsolete?

And some people haven't tried the newest mesh enabled viewers. Performance seemed to drop on the first ones that saw mesh. Things are better now, but I get the impression that some people are still waiting because it left a bad first impression.

solstyse wrote:

There is alrady talk of changes that'll make current mesh clothing obsolete.

That talk is talk from people who don't know the facts.  The present mesh clothes will not be obsolete, they will continue to work the same way as they have been working so far.

The only thing is that the present mesh clothing do not know anything about the mesh deformer, the mesh deformer does not affect them.  The fact is: the present mesh clothes can still be worn even when the mesh deformer has been implemented.  There are no plans whatsoever to make the present mesh clothes obsolete.

Coby Foden wrote:

solstyse wrote:

There is alrady talk of changes that'll make current mesh clothing obsolete.

That talk is talk from people who don't know the facts. 
The present mesh clothes will not be obsolete, they will continue to work the same way as they have been working so far.

The only thing is that the present mesh clothing do not know anything about the mesh deformer, the mesh deformer does not affect them.  The fact is: the present mesh clothes can still be worn even when the mesh deformer has been implemented. 
There are no plans whatsoever to make the present mesh clothes obsolete

Not "obsolete," perhaps, but outdated. (See here.) The deformer will not work on the current version of rigged mesh clothing, so you won't be able to resize any of it. If you want mesh clothing that fits your avatar, rather than have an avatar that fits your mesh clothing, you'll have to toss the stuff that's in your closet now.

Coby: The only thing is that the present mesh clothing do not know anything about the mesh deformer, the mesh deformer does not affect them.  The fact is: the present mesh clothes can still be worn even when the mesh deformer has been implemented.  There are no plans whatsoever to make the present mesh clothes obsolete.

That actually is exactly what I mean. The new clothes that will make use of the deformer may not make my current mesh clothes unwearable, but the idea certainly makes me feel that I should wait, and see if the designer has plans to update the clothing. I have an avi that's a little on the small side. 5'4" as measured with several rulers. I can find clothes in mesh that "sort of" fit. But when the deformer comes out, it'll be a major advertising point, and I can be sure that any mesh fashion I invest in will fit. So to me, and several like me, now is the time to wait, not to purchase.

I'm sure from the builder's standpoint, that also means that now is a time to learn how to create for the deformer, to become first to market, which limits how much is being made with mesh as it stands. the implementation of the deformer will soon make the mesh clothing that we see now very difficult, if not impossible to market.

I think you may have thought the point that I was making was different than what I was trying to say. Basically, the only reason why sl system clothes are not obsolete because of mesh is that the system clothes are guaranteed to fit, while mesh is not. I think that in the end, it may take time, but stuff that is made with the deformer will eventually replace both. However, it'll take quite a bit of time even after that for system clothes to go away, since the system clothes had a much longer time, and people have accrued much more of those than the current mesh clothing. The result will be that we'll end up seeing mesh as we know it replaced by the newer deformer mesh before we see system clothes go away. The exception will be that "favorite outfit" that some of the early mesh adopters really would rather not stop using.

I guess my main point is that clothes made with the deformer will have the one feature that keeps some people looking for system clothes on purpose. And until clothes made with the deformer are the standard, there will always be a reason for system clothes to stil exist. It's a feature I'm personally on the edge of my seat waiting for.

I have a store with nice non mesh items, I mainly have jeans, and I don't have all of my creations up because I'm just getting my store up and going once again but I hope you check mine out and enjoy it C:

I've tried wearing mesh but everything makes my avatar look fat, I'm not really a big fan of it to be honest, yes it looks pretty in pictures but my avatar always ends up looking like a hippo. I suppose mesh is for the avatars with no curves whatsoever D:

Check out Madd* c:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Epic/123/143/22

Sleeping koala releases mesh and non mesh stuff, so does Jack Spoon. Magpie releases non mesh hairs.

I do preffer mesh for almost everything, but clothe layers and prims are great to mix and match with mesh, since it is hard to  wear differetn mesh peices from different creators, like blouse and jacket, scarfs, and so on... there are space for all creations, but it is a fact that textures looks better on mesh.

I know that I refuse to buy skirts, long hairs and jackets that arent mesh. They tend to cross the av body and it buggs me a lot to take my pictures. :D

hello folks.

I'm stuck to the old school ways. Me, the tablet and photoshop humming in the distance, (at least for now). Alas, winter approaches and I'll have some new stuff on the racks..

not at all opposed to mesh, however I like working with non mesh. that said, it's pretty cool to mix and match, after all second life is all about creativity, right?

so for all you leather lovers out there...

enjoy!

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mound-LeatherJust-Waxed/2683699

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.