NON mesh fashions?

Melita Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Any great clothing, shoes, and hair still around that does NOT use mesh?

I want to add to my wardrobe. I have a little time to shop now. But the 50L Friday shops and most other current shops seem to have mostly or all mesh on their 'racks.' Same with hair and shoes. 

I would love to know where to find cute things that still use the old fashioned texture, prim, and sculpt method. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

I am not a mesh fan either. Almost every time I try a mesh outfit, it seems either I look like a shapeless fat mama or the alpha layers mess up my face, and i HATE to see me blurred, lol.

For many years, I have been a regular client at some stores who (so far) barely use mesh or don't use it at all.

For formal wear, I've always had a crush on Marianela's Art in Fashion (by Marianela Beaumont) or Morea Style (Morea Decosta). Morea has a lot of great casual outfitts too. Utopia doesn't involve too much in mesh either, elegant and sexy wear.

Another favorite is Coco's: lovely casual and awesome group gifts too.

As for shoes, yes it is getting harder every day to find non mesh compatible with latest viewers. I think Bax still has some and quite a few items at Similar Footwear still have classic feet shapers that are supported by V3 based viewers.

I sell a lot of non mesh clothes, i do have some mesh but not much, i really care less about mesh and i really don't understand the rush to make all mesh clothes, it's a trend that almost seems to go backwards instead of forwards in fashions.

Mesh almost seems like an early version of fashion in SL,,,,,,,,,can't make it to fit an avatar properly so you have to have different size avatars to make it fit,or you have to adjust that beautifull avatar you bought or made special for yourself to fit the mesh clothes.,,,,then fashion progressed to non mesh and clothes fit an avy properly without having to change your shape to fit the clothes, i just don't see the logic with mesh fashions myself.,,it seems like a step backwards.

Not to mention, that to me and others with non mesh viewers, mesh looks a little silly, people walking around with blocks on their feet for shoes, or strange looking things hanging off their body.

There  is a club we go to and the girls all dress very sexy and skimpy and mesh is almost non existent there

with non mesh fashions, tops fit skin tight and look sexy, skimpy sexy clothes fit your avy, you do not have to change your avy to fit them, mesh just seems like a step backwards and its a shame that designers think they have to jump on the band wagon and make mesh,

S&N Adorable skins & Fashions

The majority of my clothing is non mesh as well. I am in no rush to switch, at least until the deformer is out and is proven to work properly. There is also that niggly feeling that when I do wear mesh, a lot of people can't see my outfit and I imagine I look really weird to them. :)

My links are below if you want to check out my designs.

Welcome, Shelby. :)

I'll try and add some more links later, for those who didn't have one up. If I can. Might have to wait til tomorrow to get in world though.

Thank you to everyone who posted shopping hints for non mesh items and also thank  you for voicing your own opinions about mesh.

I'm sure it can look beautiful at times but, they all look like naked people with a donut in front of them, to me. And missing parts of their limbs, with a noodle on their heads. :shriek:

There are tons of shops that sell non mesh clothing, AlterEgo, Envious, American Bazaar, Elymode, PurpleMoon, The Dressing Room, The Dressing Room Blue, RMK, Apple May Designs, Bubblez Designs, Censored, Chandelle Designs, The Secret Store, Blah, Cest la Vie, B.c.c., Atooly, K rea, Izzies, Toki Doki, ... I could type all day ... there are literally tons of small and also well known stores that sell non mesh clothing.

I highly recommend doing a hunt, they are great ways of discovering new stores, even if you don't want to look for the prize, just visiting the stores on the hunt list is a great way to find stuff you may have never seen or heard of before.  

Hair: Catwa, Analog Dog, Exile, and even Truth come to mind as having a large selection of non mesh styles.

It seems that a lot of the bloggers etc are really hooked on mesh, so us smaller stores who are holding off until the deformer comes in are feeling a bit "second best" for not going mesh. It's lovely to hear that there are still those out there who want good non-mesh clothing :cathappy:

I don't think I'm alone in being a designer that's only dabbling in mesh in a small way - mostly with templates while I slog through the steep blender learning curve and wait for the deformer. Sales of my non-mesh clothing by far outweighs the few mesh pieces I have. In fact, for mesh it's mostly the partial mesh skirts (replacing the "crothch flap prim") that sell - everything else for me is system, prims and sculpties.

I've only bought a few mesh things.  Aside from the fit issue (which is a big one for my avatar) I'm actually pretty disappointed in most of the Mesh clothes.  They just don't have the detail the traditional clothes have and most seem sorta dumpy looking or way more conservative.  Also most mesh i see is just templates that the designer textured, so you see the same shirt or skirt or whatever in shop after shop after shop.  I can buy templates to texture myself and have bought a few.   I'm looking for ORIGINAL designs.

I pretty much have stopped buying mesh anyway as I now understand that anything you buy now won't work with the deformer. Mesh has to be uploaded with a deformer viewer for it to work.  So any mesh you buy now will be obsolete when the deofrmer finally is available.  I just hope the detail and orginality improves a lot then, or i sitll won't be buying mesh.

Charolotte had a good point about hunts. You'll find stores you otherwise might not have found and it'll give you a chance to find non-mesh stores.

I don't have any mesh in my store either. There are still lots of stores that don't or might have a mix of mesh/non-mesh. Though I'd like to learn mesh I'm just terrified of Blender, lol. Hope you find what you're lookin for!

Unless your computer doesn't support seeing mesh (only computers I can think of are pre-2008 laptops or pre-this-century desktops), or you're one of those avatars with cow-sized butts and breasts, there are no advantages non-mesh has over mesh. Mesh has depth, much better texture resolution, and moves with the avatar. Mesh has come to a point that the 5 shapes it comes in are all shapes that are realistic and look good. All that argument about "adjusting your entire shape to fit the mesh" are bull, they're all started by people who are too afraid of change. The only adjustments you need to make are the breasts and butt, period, because the mesh alpha will cover everything else. Clothing layer looks absolutely terrible when zoomed in and is part of your skin, I'd love to see a RL sweater that is 0cm thin and sticks to your skin. Flexi just plain sucks for obvious reasons, while sculpt is only good for hair and other non-animated clothing such as shirt cuffs or something since it will clip just about anywhere else.

If you really really want non-mesh for some reason then some stores I'd suggest:

- Aoharu (some of the best casual clothing in SL)

- Dela (same as above)

- Grasp (best non-mesh urban style jackets)

- Ison

- The secret store

- Leezu

- Baiastice

There are only like 3 stores worth visiting in FLF anyways, Wasabi Pills, Miel, and maybe erratic sometimes. The rest are all just fillers wanting to make a quick buck, with CERTAIN stores never even bother putting out an item (*cough*pivaaca*cough*). Wasabi Pills always have a hair so it doesn't matter if it's mesh or not, Miel's mesh dress is simply too awesome to pass, and I'm not sure what erratic usually offers.

• Like 1

Suki Hirano wrote:

Unless your computer doesn't support seeing mesh (only computers I can think of are pre-2008 laptops or pre-this-century desktops), or you're one of those avatars with cow-sized butts and breasts, there are no advantages non-mesh has over mesh.

Nice. So only those with cow-sized butts and breasts have any business NOT wearing mesh? How about- I don't want to look like everyone else?  How about I haven't seen mesh fashions I like all that much yet? How about I'm waiting to see some diversity in the styles? How about any number of other reasons I may have to not purchase mesh items? Are my opinions just not valid since they differ from yours? You don't speak for everyone, Suki.

Shelby Silverspar wrote:

Suki Hirano wrote:

Unless your computer doesn't support seeing mesh (only computers I can think of are pre-2008 laptops or pre-this-century desktops), or you're one of those avatars with cow-sized butts and breasts, there are no advantages non-mesh has over mesh.

Nice. So only those with cow-sized butts and breasts have any business NOT wearing mesh? How about- I don't want to look like everyone else?  How about I haven't seen mesh fashions I like all that much yet? How about I'm waiting to see some diversity in the styles? How about any number of other reasons I may have to not purchase mesh items? Are my opinions just not valid since they differ from yours? You don't speak for everyone, Suki.

How the hell was I responding to anything you wrote? O_o Are you the OP? No. Do you see a "reply to Shelby Silverspar" anywhere in my post? No. Why are you even bothering to respond to my OPINION, despite how hypocritical you sound when quoting my post.

And lol at "haven't seen mesh fashions I like". That's like saying "I haven't watched TV in a while, that means TV must terribly suck so radio is better than TV". Personal experience means nothing. Just because you haven't seen any mesh you like doesn't mean cloth layer > mesh, that's only because you haven't shopped for the last few months or you've only shopped in stores where all they sell are Meli's kits. I can respond to that by saying I haven't seen any clothing layer clothes I like. You don't like mesh, I don't like clothing layer, deal with it. If you don't like any stuff that aoharu, dela, miel, baiastice, leezu, ison, etc etc, sells, and all of them are ORIGINAL mesh models, then sorry to say but you're probably not suited for SL fashion because A) the other 99% of the population fortunately loves those stores, and B) that's pretty much what standard SL fashion looks like.

Unfortunately for you, mesh is where SL fashion is going because the fact is it's higher quality. So feel free to quit SL and find some other game to play if you have some clothing layer fetish.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4219 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.