Full Bright

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You'll have to ask those people who make everything full bright.  I don't think many here can answer.......we can guess though.  I guess it's because they either want their stuff to be noticed (even at night) or they don't know better.  There's a place for full bright and it should be used........and there's a place where it shouldn't be used.  But those places are what I think.....not necessarily what others might think.  I ignore things that sort of bother me.  Maybe you SL experience would be better if you learned to do that.  :)

• Like 1

I guess it's more of a retorical question and I agree with the other answers, usually it looks like crap. Still I'd like to answer.

The reason people use it on something like grass, is the colours will be more consistent when light hits them. So when your experiencing the "alpha glitch" or "alpha sorting problem" (where SL doesn't know which plane to render first and things in the back show up front), it won't be nearly as visible. This will give a better result in daylight, but leaves you with radioactive grass at night.

The same is the case for leaves of trees and hair.

So either the builders who use it are only building and playing SL at daytime, or they think the improved looks at daytime outweigh the odd looks at night.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you talking about Fullbright or Glow?

Someone I know who can only run SL on Low Graphics kept adding glow because they wanted things to "stand out" to others.

Well, low graphics doesn't render glow.

They had no idea that what they were doing was washing things out, not making them stand out.

MuffinUnsane wrote:

I've seen full bright used for cartoony avatars. It really helps with a 2D looks. Otherwise...I have no idea why people would do it. It's kinda ulgy for anything else. 

It is good for things that are supposed to look like lights, too. It works nicely with bloom/glow to get the right effect, and the fullbright alone is still passable when bloom isn't supported. Ask any robot, they'll understand.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.