Viewer keeps crashing?

jman70

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1682 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It can happen from time to time and can be very frustrating. Just be patient and try to log in to another region. Clear your cache first in case there is a corrupt texture or something causing the crash. It would help others to troubleshoot the problem if you were to provide more information

jman70 wrote:

Why the **bleep** does the viewer keep crashing everytime I log in?

you need to give more details as to what is happening when it crashes..

also system specs would help as well.

you can find those under the help menu at the top of the viewer under "about second life" or "about (insert viewer name here)"

you can see the help menu before you log in so you shouldn't have to worry about crashing to get to that menu..

Thank you everybody except paperdoll. The rest of you can sympathize in my frustration.

Anyways,

I am using the Second Life viewer. No matter what region I log in at, it says:

Darn. You have been logged out of Second Life.
This region may be experiencing trouble. Please check your connection to the Internet.

My connection is fine. The regions are fine (I can tell because I am able to log in with an inferior viewer.).

This has been going on for a few days now and happens IMMEDIATELY after logging on. My wife is able to log onto her account with the same viewer/same computer just fine.

"...

Darn. You have been logged out of Second Life. This region may be experiencing trouble. Please check your connection to the Internet.

..."

--------------------------------------------------

Had you left the the *bleep* part two days ago and provided some of the same information you just provided there's a very good chance you would not be having the problem you are still having.  You are not crashing...you are bing logged off (a world of difference, by the way). 

Whenever someone says

"Why the **bleep** does the viewer keep crashing everytime I log in?" 

and nothing else (no discription of the problem other than the inaccurate "crash", nothing about an error message, nothing about what you have tried to do to remedy the problem, and, most importantly, no computer specs.........which you still haven't done) there's nothing but guesses.  And since the error message says that you were disconnection (not crashed) all guesses revolving around a crash are very unlikely to fix your problem.  That was the point of my post (with the same tone you displayed in your intial post).  But, since I now have a clue, I'll take a guess (computer specs are still in order but for a disconnection from the servers most of the time the specs are not as important).

Manually clear your cache.  If you have more than one account on the same computer (which you said your wife does so that counts) and more than one viewer then manually clear all those caches too.  While you're at it it's a good idea to move the caches for each account and each viewer to a separate location on your computer (to help prevent problems like this coming up again).  To find where your cache is located on your computer go to the tab you would go to to clear your cache using the viewer preference utility......you'll see where the cache is located on your computer in the box next to the clear cache button.  Copy that location, close your viewer (you don't need to log in.....and since you are having problems you probably can't anyway), then navigate to that location on your computer, open the last folder in the path and select all and hit delete.  Restart your computer then launch the viewer again.  Before you log in change your log in location to one of the Linden Lab supported sims (Pooley, Lime, Aqua are three the I know off the top of my head).  Log in.  When you arrive at one of those sims you'll be underwater in a pretty barren sim (it's known as a quiet sim with no scripts and no builds).  Take a couple steps away from the landing point to avoid being landed on by arriving avatars.  Then open your inventory.  It should be loading but it isn't then prompt it to start by typing in a few random letters until the counter starts.  Then just wait.  It can take a while for your inventory to load (don't do anything but wait.....not chatting, IMing, changing clothes or shapes).  When your inventory fully loads (you can tell when the counter switches from saying "fetching xxxx items" to "xxxx items fetched".  Then close the inventory and TP home or where ever you normally log into.

Most of the time that will fix your problem.....but not always.  If that doesn't fix then you really do have to give some computer specs for a more "educated" guess.  You can  find that easily by looking under the "Help" menu of your viewer and copying and pasting back here.

jman70 wrote:

Thank you everybody except paperdoll. The rest of you can sympathize in my frustration.

Well, quite frankly, the shoe fit.

Do you have any idea of OUR FRUSTRATION with the endless posts we see from people saying **bleep** **bleep** **bleep** Second Life sucks and offer us no details with which to help them.

Put yourself in our shoes.  We are among other things here to help and all we get is **bleep** on.

If you think Peggy didn't understand YOUR frustration, you were wrong.

Yes, you're right and I apologize. I was having a very tough day and when my viewer started acting up I just flipped out. I guess that's why bad moods are contagous or like snowballs rolling down a hill. I'm currently working on clearing the cache.

I thank all of you ESPECIALLY Paperdoll for your help. :)

"...

I thank all of you ESPECIALLY Paperdoll for your help. **Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://secondlife.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif" border="0" alt=":smileyhappy:" title="Smiley Happy" />"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Just so you know, I never take what's said in these (or any other) forums personally.  I do have a tendacy to be a little blunt which I suppose I could curb somewhat....but, again, since I don't take things personally, I also think others should not.  Your apology is accepted (even if I really didn't expect one), I appreciate it.  I just hope you get the issue resolved.  If it continues, then give us some computer specs (by opening the viewer to the log in screen and under the "Help" menu copy the specs reported to the servers by your viewer and paste back here).  Your connection speed and type (ncluding if you have a router in your home network) is also helpful.  Your bandwidth setting in your preferences will effect your ability to remain connected to the servers if your speed (and whether or not you are experiencing high latency issues or high packet loss.....anything over about 2% packet loss is substanial) is slow of flakey.

Ok, clearing the cache did not work. Here's the specs from the help menu:

Second Life 3.3.2 (258114) May 28 2012 06:48:21 (Second Life Release) Release Notes

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 215 Processor (2700.05 MHz) Memory: 4864 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601) Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation Graphics Card: GeForce 9100/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.0011.8640 OpenGL Version: 3.0.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1 J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1 Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000 Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded) Voice Server Version: Vivox 3.2.0002.10426

Built with MSVC version 1600 Packets Lost: 0/1,596 (0.0%)

A couple of things.  First the driver you are using is driver version 186.40.  The current driver is 301.42 for your video card on a Windows 7 x64 system.  Your driver is very old (I kept my old driver for a couple years before I updated it and it's version number was 19x.xx (I forget the exact version number).......your version 186.40 is before my old driver and I updated that driver about 6 months ago.  That driver is not doing you any good as far as crashing is concerned.......you need to update that video driver before you even attempt any other fix.

And second.  An nVidia 9100 card (no matter GT, GTS or GTX) is a bottom level card for the 9000 series.  The 9000 series nVidia card is about 3 years old (I'm being generous because it could be older).  It's a weak card to begin with even back in the days when it was brand new on the market.  With the advances to the SL viewers it's next to useless for anything other than the very bottom of the preferences settings in a veiwer more modern than than the old SL viewer 1.23 (LL stopped support for that viewer over 2 years ago).  I think you an see where your problems lay.  Until you resolve those two issues I doubt you're going to have much of an SL life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone analyze my specs too because my Sl viewer keeps crashing too-Thanks.

Second Life 3.4.1 (266581) Nov  5 2012 12:17:12 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core i7 CPU       Q 820  @ 1.73GHz (1729.14 MHz)
Memory: 4030 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: Quadro FX 880M/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0011.9805
OpenGL Version: 3.2.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

• 10 months later...

I have cleared the cache and history even went to the souce and made sure all was cleared. I logged in and stood there for a while and then all the sudden boom my window just shuts down and nothing.... I have no clue whats going on someone please tell me here are my specs....

Second Life 3.6.6 (280963) Sep 11 2013 21:45:19 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz (2500 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 Darwin 11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2: Thu Aug 23 16:25:48 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.32.7~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6630M OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 ATI-7.32.12

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with GCC version 40201

• 9 months later...

These instructions came from Green Lantern Christy Rain. Thanks, Christy!

Crash B Gone Debug Settings for your SL Viewer

Contains information on how to adjust a few debug settings that will allow your viewer to  automatically derender rezzed or worn graphics crashers-

-SecondLife Viewer-

Open Debug settings and set the following values:

• Me—> Preferences—> Check Show Advanced Menu—>Debug—> Debug Settings
  • RenderAutoHideSurfaceAreaLimit 114
  • RenderAutoMuteSurfaceAreaLimit 2100
  • RenderAttachedLights FALSE

——————————————————————————————
-Firestorm Viewer-

• Hold (Ctrl / Alt / Shift / S)
  • RenderSculptSAThreshold 114.000
  • RenderAutoHideSurfaceAreaLimit 114.000

-Singularity Viewer-

• Advanced—-> Debug Settings
  • RenderAutoHideSurfaceAreaLimit 114

Once set, your viewer will automatically derender any worn or rezzed linksets that lag and crash your graphics driver.

The text in this article has been copied from the original source below:

http://thegreenlanterns.wordpress.com/2013/05/12/debug-settings-to-make-graphics-crashers-obsolete/

These settings have been tested by Voodoo staff and players, and do appear to stop graphics crashers, so it is highly recommended to follow the instructions below.
http://vudu.sl/news/2013/07/debug-settings-to-make-graphics-crashers-obsolete/

These instructions came from Green Lantern Christy Rain. Thanks, Christy!
Crash B Gone Debug Settings for your SL Viewer
Contains information on how to adjust a few debug settings that will allow your viewer to automatically derender rezzed or worn graphics crashers-
-SecondLife Viewer-
Me—> Preferences—> Check Show Advanced Menu—>Debug—> Debug Settings
RenderAutoHideSurfaceAreaLimit 114
RenderAutoMuteSurfaceAreaLimit 2100
RenderAttachedLights FALSE
-Firestorm Viewer-
Hold (Ctrl / Alt / Shift / S)
RenderSculptSAThreshold 114.000
RenderAutoHideSurfaceAreaLimit 114.000
-Singularity Viewer-
Advanced—-> Debug Settings
RenderAutoHideSurfaceAreaLimit 114

Once set, your viewer will automatically derender any worn or rezzed linksets that lag and crash your graphics driver.

• 10 months later...

It is because everyone on the net has gotten their act together but linden labs. Windows doesnt crahs anymore ...but SL still does. Nothing else crashes on my computer ...but SL still does !. It is because they refuse to run it on anything other than an old laptop and they cannot afford good programmers.

• 4 years later...

I am hoping to findhelp deciding what to upgrade to allow SL to run better/less crashy

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz (3192.76 MHz)
Memory: 16329 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18362.356)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 1030/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 26.21.14.3086
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 430.86

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.7
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.00.01
Dullahan: 1.1.1320 / CEF: 3.3626.1895.g7001d56 / Chromium: 72.0.3626.121
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.9.0002.30313

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (High Contrast)
Window size: 2382x1061 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1450 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium-High (4/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 1024 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): unknown
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 0/4,246 (0.0%)
September 17 2019 17:17:17 SLT

if anymore info is needed please ask the crashing is npt constant but often enough to be annoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1682 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.