Gimp 2.8 VS. Photoshop 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm Using Photoshop 7, I just realized it's now 10 years old.  There's no way I can afford to get the current version of Photoshop, so thought I'd down load Gimp 2.80  I'm happy to see that Gimp now can be in just one window :)  Thought I'd post this here to see if anyone might know how the new version of Gimp compares to a 10 year old version of Photoshop. 

I've only looked at Gimp briefly, but was impressed by it. I had PS7, and found it very frustrating as it is really the last version of it's sort, and most filters/brushes/tutorials do not suit PS7 and earlier. (I've been using PS CS3 for a few years now, and even it seems outdated by the latest with 3D painting.)

There are more inworld classes based on latest Gimp, and none for PS7. So you might find it easier to learn if you swap over.

I'd say go for it.

Some people love GIMP some people hate it. I always tell people GIMP is free so if you find you don't like all you have wasted is a little time. Photoshop costs money. So where would you rather start? GIMP approaches the idea of editing images form a different set of assumptions then Photoshop does. For some people this works for some it doesn't.

phaedra Exonar wrote:

... so thought I'd down load Gimp 2.80  I'm happy to see that Gimp now can be in just one window
:)

That's great that finally Gimp can be run in one window.  I always found it very annoying as Gimp had free floating windows scattered all over the desktop.

One window, very good news. :smileyhappy:

hibit Spad wrote:

Some people love GIMP some people hate it. I always tell people GIMP is free so if you find you don't like all you have wasted is a little time. Photoshop costs money. So where would you rather start? GIMP approaches the idea of editing images form a different set of assumptions then Photoshop does. For some people this works for some it doesn't.

I've been using photoshop for 15 years, and have tried gimp a few times and like it but never took the time to really get to know gimp, but not that my version of photo shop is 10 years old I was thinking if  that now would be a good time to make a full time switch to gimp with photshop as a backup if needed.  Looks like gimps come a long way.

You asid gimp uses diffrent assumptions, is ther an easy way to sum that up, knowing that would make the swith a lot easer.

Coby Foden wrote:

phaedra Exonar wrote:

... so thought I'd down load Gimp 2.80  I'm happy to see that Gimp now can be in just one window
:)

That's great that finally Gimp can be run in one window.  I always found it very annoying as Gimp had free floating windows scattered all over the desktop.

One window, very good news. :smileyhappy:

Thats what got me thinking about switching

Current Gimp compares well to current Photoshop - it comes down to UI preferences and whether or not you want the assorted addons in the typical Adobe package.

I -did- go in for Adobe Creative Suite not long back in an opportunity to get hefty discount. I was unable to get up to speed with the Gimp UI. But I have friends who can sit down with Gimp and outperform what I can do in Photoshop, in less time - because they know its UI that well.

My suggestion would be to hit a local bookstore that has graphic design and computer science books and find a new user guide to Gimp, if one can be found - look through it for a while and see if it looks learnable. If so, buy the book.

The transition between one UI and the other is rough. They have very alien design considerations from each other.

To make matters worse - the transition between Photoshop before Adobe bought Macromedia and after is also a little rough.

Adobe strapped in a lot of Macromedia's UI - to the point of completely deleting the app, ImageReady, and replacing it with Fireworks, without updating Fireworks to give it a Photoshop compatible UI...

On the other hand, they dumped Freehand, which was better than Illustrator... and kept a very Illustrator like UI. But they made Photoshop's UI sort of a 'if Macromedia had written Photoshop what would it look like' UI...

- Sit down with a current Photoshop book, or demo it on a friend or co-worker's machine... Prepare to find a lot of things that are weird.

Its not as bad as what Microsoft did to Office - throwing out their only strength, a UI 5 billion people on the planet knew, in favor of some bastardized WTF-thing that makes Viewer 2 look like a gift from heaven...

But it will be a transition either way...

Does the new version of Gimp also do the 3-D painting? And if so, could some one toss in a link to a how to or other explanation? I did look thru the new Gimp but didn't see any obvious way to do that. I am fairly familiar with Gimp and use it for my purposes but would not consider myself expert at it. Thanks for any info.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.