For curiousity only

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Primary streets with big houses were named after influential local citizens (Hayes and Gough) and families (McAllister), while streets with the smaller houses carry botanical names such as Ivy, Linden, and Hickory.

As an aside, it cam be fun to tour SoMA and find all the streets the San Francisco regions are named for. Minna, Bonafacio, Stillman, etc.

See http://g.co/maps/8fdx3

Years ago I worked for the software house Ashton Tate (since bought-out and closed down).  As with probably every company in the world there are always calls from irate and/or self-important people demanding to "Speak to Mr. Ashton" or "Mr. Tate".  Fair enough, George Tate was the founder and sometimes would even talk to idiots.  "Mr. Ahston" was, however, a parrot who lived in reception.  Anyone demanding not only to speak to Mr. Ashton but also claiming to "know him personally" would have the 'phone hung on the side of the cage until they got bored.  Receptionists don't need this crap any more than anyone else.

With my name the worst I've had is a support-person asking if I'd mind talking to "a very rude person, insisting on speaking to the boss".  I took the call and told her that if she didn't want to talk to me she could talk to my project manager or director but that neither of them would be able to tell her as much about her (software) product as I would.  Determined not to waste a word on a lackey she nevertheless told me scornfully that I "sound very sure of myself".  "Yes," I replied, "you see, I wrote it." (as it happens we then had a nice chat).

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

"Mr. Ahston" was, however, a parrot who lived in reception.  Anyone demanding not only to speak to Mr. Ashton but also claiming to "know him personally" would have the 'phone hung on the side of the cage until they got bored.  Receptionists don't need this crap any more than anyone else.

That is just hilarious.

Having managed a retail store I know how customer calls can be.  I hear people complain about bad customer service but sometimes you just have to be on our end to begin to understand what we deal with.

Eduard Hendrassen wrote:

This question may be off topic but is for curiousity purposes only, I was wondering if the Lindens are related to the von Lindens in Europe.

idk.. As much as Led Zeppelin were related to the Von Zeppelins in Europe 8^)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.