Group Photo idea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes that sounds interesting but first cool thing I would do is to find a place in SL, that is like a sandbox (public acces, far from our privacy), with just a platform high in the sky that could be rezzed lets say for a month. 

Then find few photographers to work together on it, cover more time zones and split the work. 

Then... I have too many ideas atm, need to think about all lol

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes something like that, I was actually thinking of a huge white hollow box, so we have white from all sides (if we would catch only AO poses). And to have few volunteers to shoot the people in case some don't feel comfortable with taking snapshots and sending them.

Also, but this need to be discussed, what if every resident could pick up a notecard with few basic questions, like name, age, gender... to be included with the character picture.

and Tamara

The event space at Linden Memorial Park might work. The land has not yet been used to host a function since it was dedicated to Residents.

Collecting  the photos could be a 30 day(?) event.

I think allowing Residents to use their own pose, or select a pose, or no pose, would best represent SL avatars.

I would like to ask for as little help as possible from LL, but I believe that LL's help, would help :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Promotional help from LL may be the most important, followed by Land.

LL could rez a Market Place billboard near the photo kiosk (booth) that would show featured items at MP. No interface on the board, just images that cycle.

LL could help by providing a location to store and retrieve the data, only authorized Resident(s) would be able to access the data. (not me)

I do not know how to stitch all the images together, help in that area would be good.

We can create a Historical artifact; I like the idea of that. 

I'm not opposed to profit, money pays the bills.

Any ideas on how to create support funding would be helpful.

edit typo

Knowl Paine wrote:

The pixel ad system I talked about. sell the pixels.1  linden per pixel lol you could even expand it into a Second Life business grid. for businesses only tooo

The second life vanity board lol

Great! But it needs to be checked. I'm in! Been a photographer for a year now and if I call all my clients we'll have few days of shooting to start with lol. What I think is that everyone interested should meet inworld and discuss about the idea and everything.

What do you all think?

That would work but to cover all (or most) clothing and avatar color schemes there would need to be a blue screen, green screen and maybe even a red screen for the avatar to be standing in front of for the self taken pictures.  That way removing the background and leaving just the avatar and not having the image look like a cardboard cutout would be so much easier.  Plus there would have to be some simple to read instructions that anyone without image editing knowledge could understand.....things like, if you are wearing lots of any of the colors on the screens then pick a screen that you are not wearing that color for your photo (you don't want me to write instructions though.......I'm way too wordy for anything like that.  And the photos would need to be sent full size in a lossless image format (PNG is good since it's universally supported on all OS platforms).  That would mean any email provider used would have to allow large files and that the person tending to the email would have to check the email often and save to some media other than the email site (500 images at 2 megs is a gig of data......the stored images could overwhelm someone's email allotment quickly.  My gmail gives me about 7.5 megs for storage..........so about 3 or 4 big images and it's done.  :)

Knowl Paine wrote:

and Tamara

The event space at Linden Memorial Park might work. The land has not yet been used to host a function since it was dedicated to Residents.

Collecting  the photos could be a 30 day(?) event.

I think allowing Residents to use their own pose, or select a pose, or no pose, would best represent SL avatars.

I would like to ask for as little help as possible from LL, but I believe that LL's help, would help :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Promotional help from LL may be the most important, followed by Land.

LL could rez a Market Place billboard near the photo kiosk (booth) that would show featured items at MP. No interface on the board, just images that cycle.

LL could help by providing a location to store and retrieve the data, only authorized Resident(s) would be able to access the data. (not me)

I do not know how to stitch all the images together, help in that area would be good.

We can create a Historical artifact; I like the idea of that. 

edit typo

Ok, land is no problem. Stitching photos together is no problem. What we would need from LL is the promotion. Those are already in place. Featured Destinations and Log In Screen Links.

This would be my proposal (in rough draft)

Second Life is a community of creative residents. Second Life allows anyone to be however and whatever they can imagine. What we all have in common is our individuality, let's show that off! Please come to xxx and take a photo of yourself! If you want someone else to take a photo of you, contact xxx or yyy! Submit your photo to xxx.xxx.mail. We look forward to seeing you!

Call it the great Second Life avatar photo event. run it for 30 days, provide an example, like 30 avatars collage.

This is me thinking out loud, sound good?

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

That would work but to cover all (or most) clothing and avatar color schemes there would need to be a blue screen, green screen and maybe even a red screen for the avatar to be standing in front of for the self taken pictures.  That way removing the background and leaving just the avatar and not having the image look like a cardboard cutout would be so much easier.  Plus there would have to be some simple to read instructions that anyone without image editing knowledge could understand.....things like, if you are wearing lots of any of the colors on the screens then pick a screen that you are not wearing that color for your photo (you don't want me to write instructions though.......I'm way too wordy for anything like that.  And the photos would need to be sent full size in a lossless image format (PNG is good since it's universally supported on all OS platforms).  That would mean any email provider used would have to allow large files and that the person tending to the email would have to check the email often and save to some media other than the email site (500 images at 2 megs is a gig of data......the stored images could overwhelm someone's email allotment quickly.  My gmail gives me about 7.5 megs for storage..........so about 3 or 4 big images and it's done. 
:)

well, if the screen was just a white screen that would be easy, no need to remove any background. yes to providing instructions such as photo size limits.

You can't put an image on a single pixel......not one 2 pixels, or 3, or 4.  A pixel is what images are made of........it's the smallest point of color or transparency that makes up the image.  An image of 256 by 256 pixels 65,536 pixels and it's tiny in size with very little detail for a photograph (a low quality digital image would be a 1 megpixel image......quality images need to be about 2 megapixels, minimum).

Tamara Artis wrote:

Great! But it needs to be checked. I'm in! Been a photographer for a year now and if I call all my clients we'll have few days of shooting to start with lol. What I think is that everyone interested should meet inworld and discuss about the idea and everything.

What do you all think?

I think that is a great idea.

Also, it seems like put to practicality, this would be a huge undertaking. Imagine putting 1000 photos together. Doable, but time consuming.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

Oh, I though we were talking about having the avatars with a SL background.  If it's going to be a simple white background then yeah, a white screen. 

Like I said, you don't want me to write any instructions. 
:)

Lol, what kind of SL background? 

No, I think if this became as large as we wish it to be, a background would be undesirable.

Right!

Thank you for mentioning that. :smileyhappy:

I'm not the best at taking photos because I don't know about the processes for quality photos.

You've highlighted a reason why I thought LL needs to help.

I don't know, but I suspect, LL can isolate the Avatars from all other objects.

Some Residents, in the recent photo contests, were at a disadvantage because of computational limitations of their pc's

A photo booth could help to create uniform photos.

Storage help has been mentioned.

Knowl Paine wrote:

Right!

Thank you for mentioning that. :smileyhappy:

I'm not the best at taking photos because I don't know about the processes for quality photos.

You've highlighted a reason why I thought LL needs to help.

I don't know, but I suspect, LL can isolate the Avatars from all other objects.

Some Residents, in the recent photo contests, were at a disadvantage because of computational limitations of their

Storage help has been mentioned.

Why would LL need to help with the actual photos? What magic tools do they have that we don't?

No background, we want to put accent on avatars and their diversity. 

But if we just take tons of snapshots and put them all together, that would be just repeating whats allready done. 

I would prefer to have less people but add something aside from characters, like some really basic info (Hi, I'm Sarah, 432 days old and I'm a hostess) in a cloud please hahaha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.