Group Photo idea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would be the 5th element (loved that movie)

We have Tamara, Uncommon, Peggy, You and I.

In considering the idea, I had already included you :smileyhappy: Thank you, for officially volunteering. :smileyvery-happy:

I will submit a request for Support from LL, if they decline, We will have to work without them.

I'm not sure of how we will collage the photos. I'm concerned about how does one add and edit the images, whilst preserving the quality of each image. 10 or 20 Images would not be a problem to open and edit the work, but 500 images might become a real problem.

I can make a 15,000 prim object in SL, but my machine cannot render 15,000 objects all at once.

We can form a SL Group to begin communicating in SL. We should define some roles based upon ability, create a task form or to do list. IM's or Group chats for basic stuff, and Group Notices for any lengthy suggestions or recommendation.

I will be meeting with a rl friend today, hopefully he can educate me on file sizes and possible collage limitations when not using a Blade Center or other larger computer.

I support every legal means of obtaining photographs. :smileyvery-happy: We want high quality photos, and all of the same format.

I think we can use a few additional volunteers, and possible a few recruits. (there's a difference)

I believe that the Editors and the Residents photographed, will be the true artist in this endeavor.

The quality of the images is going to be hard to maintain since individuals would be allowed (even encouraged) to send in and, if I understand the suggestion by Charo, insert into the collage or final image themselves.  It would be difficult even if a small team of experienced image editors worked together since everyone has a little different idea about editing.  That's what I meant when I said we needed some instructions drawn up by someone who knows about image editing and, can write clear and comprehensible instructions.........that person is probably not me.  :)

I agree, but...where the photos will be stored, may help to determine the format, and how the photos are added.

We should contact some of the Residents who created the images in the Links that have been provided in this thread. They may be able to help or offer advice.

We should set a minimum goal for the number of photos we want to collect, and establish a desired completion date.

We need a founder for the Group.

I will work on detailing a plan of action, we can review and refine it, then get working on it. Haste makes waste.

Someone needs to tell me in words of one syllable just what we are talking about.  At first the suggestion was made using the words "group photo".  A group photo of many of the participants of Hippy Stock was shown as an example.  Then the discussion moved to how to get everyone together for such an photo shoot and it was said that it would be difficult and talk about a group photo being "merged) using several individual photos to create a single photo (as a group).  Talk of a green screen to make background removal easier.  Creating a single "group photo" from several different photos can be done.......but not easily unless everyone understands what is needed to make the final photo look decent (image format, scale, color depth and lighting to name a few things that must be the same, or very close to the same).  That would require a single photographer or a small team of photographers agreeing to what each photo's content would include.....I don't think that's possible with such a huge number of images we are talking about (a few dozen to even a 100 or so might be doable.  But 1,000's is another story.........I don't think it can be done.  So now we are talking about a collage........much easier to do.  People sending their own images to a specified web site or email for inclusion is really about the only way such an undertaking could be done (or you get back to the single or team of photographers doing every photo for the collage).  But everyone sending in their own image makes it very difficult to maintain quality (image file format would need to be lossless such as PNG, BMP, TGA.......PNG and TGA are universal and BMP is Windows specific.  TGA is not a file format all computers can open or save to.  PNG is (which is why I suggested it).  Now we are going to allow (actually encourage) everyone who wants their image on the collage to send in their photo.  That's fine.......but if they send a low resolution JPEG image that image is going to low quality (blurry looking and pixelated).  Such an image is going to stick out like a sore thumb next to a high quality image.  An image size and resolution must be established ahead of time for each photo to be included into the collage (a larger image can be cropped or resized but a smaller image is not going to work out so well).  Everyone sending in an image will have to be instructed on what the requirement would be for the photo sent in.....I'm not sure that can be done effectively for someone who does not know what an image format is, how resolution effects an image, what pixelation is caused by or even how to determine the the size of an image in pixels.

And once we get me to understand what we trying to do I have the question waiting in my mind.  How are we going to put all these 1000's of images on a prim to display.  The individual images will have to be large enough for someone to see and for the image to have any detail at all it's going to have to have a reasonable pixel size.....I'm thinking 256 x 256.for the image resolution but how large we make it on the prim is going to make a huge difference in quality (putting a 256 x 256 image on a 1/2 meter cube will look fantastic.......put that same image on 10 meter cube and it's going to be a mess)  I know we are not talking about putting the images on separate prims but sizing the images using the cube is the only way I can think of to discribe the problem I see ahead.  We can make a mega prim 64 by 64 meters......how many images can we put on that mega prim so when the images are stretched to fit the prim it's still has enough quality and the details of the individual images is good (wouldn't be sad if when the collage is placed on the prim that it's nothing but a pixelated glob of color?).  I'm beginning to think we should drop the quality and go with making do with what everyone sends as best we can.  I'm willing to help with editing of the photos but I want to know what the final product is going to be.  I nice, well done mural or a hodge podge collage?  How many prims are going to be necessary since I doubt we can get more than a couple hundred on a single face of a 64 by 64 meter mega prim and still have an identifible image.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

Someone needs to tell me in words of one syllable just what we are talking about.  At first the suggestion was made using the words "group photo".  A group photo of many of the participants of Hippy Stock was shown as an example.  Then the discussion moved to how to get everyone together for such an photo shoot and it was said that it would be difficult and talk about a group photo being "merged) using several individual photos to create a single photo (as a group).  Talk of a green screen to make background removal easier.  Creating a single "group photo" from several different photos can be done.......but not easily unless everyone understands what is needed to make the final photo look decent (image format, scale, color depth and lighting to name a few things that must be the same, or very close to the same).  That would require a single photographer or a small team of photographers agreeing to what each photo's content would include.....I don't think that's possible with such a huge number of images we are talking about (a few dozen to even a 100 or so might be doable.  But 1,000's is another story.........I don't think it can be done.  So now we are talking about a collage........much easier to do.  People sending their own images to a specified web site or email for inclusion is really about the only way such an undertaking could be done (or you get back to the single or team of photographers doing every photo for the collage).  But everyone sending in their own image makes it very difficult to maintain quality (image file format would need to be lossless such as PNG, BMP, TGA.......PNG and TGA are universal and BMP is Windows specific.  TGA is not a file format all computers can open or save to.  PNG is (which is why I suggested it).  Now we are going to allow (actually encourage) everyone who wants their image on the collage to send in their photo.  That's fine.......but if they send a low resolution JPEG image that image is going to low quality (blurry looking and pixelated).  Such an image is going to stick out like a sore thumb next to a high quality image.  An image size and resolution must be established ahead of time for each photo to be included into the collage (a larger image can be cropped or resized but a smaller image is not going to work out so well).  Everyone sending in an image will have to be instructed on what the requirement would be for the photo sent in.....I'm not sure that can be done effectively for someone who does not know what an image format is, how resolution effects an image, what pixelation is caused by or even how to determine the the size of an image in pixels.

And once we get me to understand what we trying to do I have the question waiting in my mind.  How are we going to put all these 1000's of images on a prim to display.  The individual images will have to be large enough for someone to see and for the image to have any detail at all it's going to have to have a reasonable pixel size.....I'm thinking 256 x 256.for the image resolution but how large we make it on the prim is going to make a huge difference in quality (putting a 256 x 256 image on a 1/2 meter cube will look fantastic.......put that same image on 10 meter cube and it's going to be a mess)  I know we are not talking about putting the images on separate prims but sizing the images using the cube is the only way I can think of to discribe the problem I see ahead.  We can make a mega prim 64 by 64 meters......how many images can we put on that mega prim so when the images are stretched to fit the prim it's still has enough quality and the details of the individual images is good (wouldn't be sad if when the collage is placed on the prim that it's nothing but a pixelated glob of color?).  I'm beginning to think we should drop the quality and go with making do with what everyone sends as best we can.  I'm willing to help with editing of the photos but I want to know what the final product is going to be.  I nice, well done mural or a hodge podge collage?  How many prims are going to be necessary since I doubt we can get more than a couple hundred on a single face of a 64 by 64 meter mega prim and still have an identifible image.

In answer to your top chunk, I think you have it right. It will need to be a collage. As far as image quality of individual photos, I think when you think of how small each persons photo is going to be, image quality may not be as big an issue, or maybe it will. Regardless, I thing a basic set of instructions would do. Such as when you upload photos to flickr or even this website. Lots of people upload pictures all the time to various websites, so that shouldn't be too hard to explain.

As to your second chunk, I had not thought of putting the photo on a prim, I was just thinking it would be a web based photo.

Here is what I am thinking about atm;

Form a group of minimum 10 volunteers to collect and edit photos. 

Good idea is to set a minimum/max goal, so if a minimum is 500 residents, each of the volunteers should do 50 Photos. 

Make it all transparent, so that at any given time every person interested can see what we are doing (make a blog at least, or some free page). Put all infos there.

Form an open group where those 10 volunteers are officers, and from where we do all inworld activities. 

Let residents choose do they want to hand us the snapshots or one of us to make the shoot.

Snapshots to be on a white background with avatar in the center but to have the least white possible (no wasted pixels lol)

About editing and putting them together, I was thinking to make, for example, 10 photos where each would consist of 9 small photos, and where those 10 photos would be on a prim, and then we just put them all together inworld.

Here is my example:)

Group photo 1024.jpg

That is an accurate summary. I apologize for not being better organized.

The Hippie Stock photo best represents my original aspiration. Real Residents, who appear to be standing together in SL.

If an all in one photo is not possible, panels would have to suffice. A panorama would reduce over all file size and make each panel easier to manage.

Having the photo on a website with some ability to pan and scroll, is a part of what I had hoped for LL to provide, as sort of archive.

We can get the group established, decide on the display presentation, find a happy medium on the photo quality, set a collection goal (500?), consult with others who are already doing or have done this, discuss photo collection methods, set a completion date.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

An example

It's not what I envisioned, but I am flexible in how we accomplish this.

If the photos we collect have the necessary variety, we could consider attempting that technique.

I will create an example image of what I had first considered.

I can try to describe it as a (SL) life size poster or mural 3 meters tall 256 meters long with some depth of field. If the space is inadequate for all the images, I would suggest elevating the viewpoint to look downward on the residents to allow for a double row of Residents.I think they call them walking displays

I'm open to all options. I realize that there are some technical limits, but I think we can find ways to make it work.

Edit: I did not see your last post until I posted this. Giant wall :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.