Group Photo idea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm giving LL too much technological credit.

There was an old television Ad that ended with the phrase... "brought to you by the minds at Minolta", or something like that. Maybe that's what I was thinking about LL.

I thought :smileytongue: , that LL could make a photo booth that only photographs the Avatar. No need for any background, because the camera in the booth removed all the environmental objects, features etc.

The background of the image would be whatever format is most popular for editing.

idk what that format is; I'm not a computer mechanic. :matte-motes-nerdy:

I thought you're into photos and you will do some snapshots and extract avis from the backgrond. 

So basically, you want to make something huge but without working too much on it, meaning LL would provide you something lol

The fun is in working! Doing it, day after day... Together with people:) 

Hey, sweety, you don't have to be a computer genius to know what the best background would be. You can't have a non background, not in this reality. You have to have something in the background. For a project of this undertaking I think we have agreed a white background would be best.

Otherwise we could make a derendered background, but there would still be something behind that lol :P

Snide remark: giving them too much technical credit, have you been inworld lately? lol just joking :) 

Minolta? I will have to look that up.

Something we did on another forum a couple years ago for a christmas picture.  Everyone who knew how to edit pictures did their own including themselves into the base image descided on in advance.....those who didn't have either the software or the knowledge got someone else to do it for them (I did a couple myself and one other did the rest.......about half did their own).  The avatars had to be cut from the background and put in the base picture one at a time.  The final picture (which, either didn't save or it got lost in the two years since we did the picture) had about 20 avatars in it.  It worked pretty good but with mulitple "editors" the size of each avatar and quality varies a little bit...........I would think this project would want to avoid that if possible.

Maureens Forum picture - Copy.jpeg

The images were cut from the original background.....and one of the ones I did was pretty difficult because of the background the original was taken against.  But it was fun none the less.  :)

I was doing some derendering a few days ago. I did not know what you know, and yes, I was stuck. Had to re-log :smileyvery-happy:

I'm an Artist Madam, :matte-motes-not-entertained:

Just kidding, only try to be traditionally eccentric. Many artist are snobbish.

I like to have fun.

My original idea was for a collage of Residents. Gathering all the Residents in one place at one time is nearly impossible, so I thought that we could collect all the photos and stitch them together.

Isolating the avatar image was to help in editing.

Not all Resident know how to derender objects etc, I would like to make it as easy as possible for Residents.

Knowl Paine wrote:

I was doing some derendering a few days ago. I did not know what you know, and yes, I was stuck. Had to re-log :smileyvery-happy:

I'm an Artist Madam, :matte-motes-not-entertained:

Just kidding, only try to be traditionally eccentric. Many artist are snobbish.

I like to have fun.

My original idea was for a collage of Residents. Gathering all the Residents in one place at one time is nearly impossible, so I thought that we could collect all the photos and stitch them together.

Isolating the avatar image was to help in editing.

Not all Resident know how to derender objects etc, I would like to make it as easy as possible for Residents.

Great idea. What about a white background?

With potentially 1,000's of avatars even leaving a tiny bit of the white background left with a cropping of the image would make it nearly impossible to put more than a few hundred in a single image........you could not put any avatars behind the other or overlap in anyway.  An SL background is not necessary (a plain white or neutral background is fine) but by do that you will absolutely have to place the cut outs side by side in rows without any overlap.  That is going to make for a very limited number of avatars on the image.  Even with cutting out all the background of the original image and sliding them together to look like everyone was at the same place at the same time posing for a group photo, there's going to be only so many that will fit on a 1024 by 1024 cube. 

Sorry for me getting complicated but I've done "group photos" by cutting out avatars (and even real life pictures) and "posing them as if everyone was there at once.  It's not complicated but it's not as simple as it might seem on the surface.  A good image editor can do it in a day or two.......me?  A week or so.  :)

I would enjoy contributing as much as I possibly can.

I am aware of my limitations and that other people have theirs.

Without getting into it, We are here to enjoy ourselves, I agree, LL is here to work. I will not lose sleep if Rodvik has a programmer working late on our project.

However, if it were to be you, that carried an unfair burden, and a project intended to be fun, became work, I would feel really sad about that.

I can meet with Residents, I have a tiny bit of land, a few L$, a pc that has more power than I know what to do with. hmmm, I'm willing to learn. Probably not ready to edit irrecoverable data just yet, but I can do some things.

No, I agree. Making it look like thousands were there all at once would be nearly impossible. Which is why I like the collage idea. Lots of squares of photos, on a white background, all put together to make one giant photo, like the Second Life hand or something, you know?

I'll volunteer too Knowl.  I don't have the space and prims available to be of much help with land for the "photo shoots"........512 sqm and 117 prims is pretty limiting for what I have in my head about the project.  :)  I do, however, have a fair amount of image editing experience (plus I really do like doing that stuff....even the tedious parts).  :)

Awesome! Welcome aboard.

We have 4 announced volunteers, so far.

As mentioned, Residents might already have most of the tools we need to complete the project.

I think access to locations, will be something that only LL can provide / promote.

If my customer cannot find me; I go and find my customer.

A mobile photo booth(s) could be placed at locations in the destination guide (with the owners permission).

Volunteers could manage the booths and assist other Residents.

I'm still not certain as to the best method to collect the photos. This is where I keep thinking that LL would need to make a booth that only sends photos to one place. The booth would have to have a photo preview option for the Resident.

Maybe I'm over thinking this.... no, I'm not. It has to be automatic.

Simplification:

Want to be in this photo project?

Stand here

snap

We're done.

A Notecard with some basic suggestions about how to customize your Avatar for a photo shoot, could help

We can try to hammer out what is possible and practicable, and set the plan in motion.

collect

store

edit

present and share

boast

What if persons took their own group photos and sent those in as well?

Many persons belong to groups already, since they all have internal communication in place, they could organize a group photo with themselves. 

Of course individual photos would still be accepted, but it might be another way to get participation.

Just a thought.

Am I one of those 4? If not, make me 5.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4380 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.