What happened in History on this date

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5-1-2013    Rupert Murdoch, deposed head of a once powerful media empire, is caught eavesdropping on patrons at the Olive Garden restaurant where he is employed as a waiter.

5-1-2014    Linden Lab announces "Linden Boxes". Given free to all residents as full-perm library objects, the large cardboard appliance boxes make the perfect home for the indigent. Marxists soon complain that, as everyone on the grid has one, they have been deprived of the joy of stealing from the overlords to gain the admiration of the indolent.

5-1-2045    The last surviving member of the aptly named band Limp Bizkit dies childless, like all the others.

Good morning everyone!  It's May the 2nd!  Here is todays history!

Peace!

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Good morning all!  Its May the 1st!  Here is todays history.

– The first 
 match is played in 

I think that should be the first international cricket match, and I think it was between America and Canada. Or could it be the first time that a cricket match was played in America. I would think that it was little early for the first international but I may wrong. What it wasn't was the first cricket match to be played :)

Good morning all!  Its May the 3rd, and here is todays history!

Peace!

Good morning everyone!  It's May the 4th!  Here is todays history.

Peace!

5-4-1676    King Charles II of England cuts the ribbon on the just completed Royal Greenwich Observatory. As per Charles' instructions, the hilltop observatory offers its telescope (designed to be easily operated with one hand) an unobstructed view of the London skyline. Charles is often seen entering the observatory at dusk and exiting again just before dawn... smiling.

5-4-2013    Twelve years to the day after its unveiling, a bizarre mechanical failure in the Milwaukee Art Museum's Calatrava "Wing" causes the articulated roof to tear loose from the building and take flight. Four days later, the butterfly-like structure is found perched on the flower-like top of China's Shanghai building.

Calatrava-Shanghai.jpg

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

5-4-1676
    King Charles II of England cuts the ribbon on the just completed Royal Greenwich Observatory. As per Charles' instructions, the hilltop observatory offers its telescope (designed to be easily operated with one hand) an unobstructed view of the London skyline. Charles is often seen entering the observatory at dusk and exiting again just before dawn... smiling.

Are you sure?  While I wholeheartedly believe your normally impeccably-researched articles it seems highly unlikely that Charles II would stoop to 'solitary vices' given the number of mistresses he had.  Or perhaps I have misconstrued and he was just happy to have got a night's sleep for a change.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

5-4-1676
    King Charles II of England cuts the ribbon on the just completed Royal Greenwich Observatory. As per Charles' instructions, the hilltop observatory offers its telescope (designed to be easily operated with one hand) an unobstructed view of the London skyline. Charles is often seen entering the observatory at dusk and exiting again just before dawn... smiling.

Are you sure?  While I wholeheartedly believe your normally impeccably-researched articles it seems highly unlikely that Charles II would stoop to 'solitary vices' given the number of mistresses he had.  Or perhaps I have misconstrued and he was just happy to have got a night's sleep for a change.

He was trying to avoid the plague?

5-4-1676

5-4-2013
    Twelve years to the day after its unveiling, a bizarre mechanical failure in the Milwaukee Art Museum's Calatrava "Wing" causes the articulated roof to tear loose from the building and take flight. Four days later, the butterfly-like structure is found perched on the flower-like top of China's Shanghai building.

Calatrava-Shanghai.jpg

Oh that is good Maddy!  Woot!

Peace!

Good morning everyone!  Today is May the 5th, and here is today in history!

Peace!

Good morning everyone!  It's May the 6th and here is todays history lesson!

Peace!

Good morning!  It's May the 7th!  Here is today in history.

Peace!

Good morning everyone!  Today is May the 8th.  Here is todays history.

Peace!

Hippie Bowman wrote:

– 
 first proposes the idea of a moment of silence to commemorate 
 of 
, which later results in the creation of 
. In the United States it was called Armistice Day and is now Veterans Day.

When I was young, the whole country (UK) stopped for a 2 minutes silence each year at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (the time and date when the armistice was signed). Cars/transport/pedestrians stopped in the streets - everything stopped. I've often thought it a shame that that tradition ended.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.