The Burn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In all my  SL time I have never felt burnt out , until lately . I love scripting and have been working on 3 new products for 4 months now involving mesh / scripting / HUD systems and my web server I use to log data like due dates and what kind of baby they want sent blah blah blah . For the first time I had to sit back and ask my self "Why are you doing this?" I love my RL job and if I made a million dollars on SL I still never quit teaching . I just feel lately there is a point I must review why I enjoy doing this stuff,

Is it a hobby?

Is it a part time job?

Is it my second life?

Do I really enjoy it?

what if I log in next time to a notice SL is closing soon..Did I waist all this time? 

I duno,if you have hit this point please share with me how you are dealing with it.

Now that does sound like burnout.  And I've had it several times, for different reasons.

How I deal with it is to break from as much as possible - real and second life - for two days, go off somewhere and do something totally different. That somehow "defragments" my head and all is fresh as a daisy again when I come back.

It's never a waste of time, even if LL did flip the 'off' switch right in this very moment. It is just burnout.

Yes, classic bun-out syndrome. Now, dealing with babies and toddlers tends to burn people out, so no surprise there neither. Good tip from Marigold, just get off for some days, reformat your brainbox ... but never, never ever, ask yourself why you're doing what you do in SL! Right now it seems it's more addiction than actual fun that has you logging in. Get out!

And once you're back do some of the usual SL stuff (in other words, not your usual SL stuff), explore, go dancing, shop for the most sexy dresses. Spoil your avie. Buy a luxury yacht and sail the SL oceans, get a Harley and ride the SL highways, make a lot of snapshots, visit art exhibitions. Spend time outside your usual SL routine. And once you're ready to go back to work just do less of it. Get rid of the self-imposed pressure. Forget due dates and deadlines for there really are none.

Personally I don't really like romantic movies, they're a waste of time for me. Actually I don't really like tv in general, so instead of sitting in front of it, I sit in front of my pc and play SL. I can look at it like an interactive tv, and me writing a scenario and everything. If SL goes away one day, I kow I had some great times here! Memories stay:) Its never waste of time if I do something I enjoy. 

I also have  job here, its a hobby that pays out. Nice hobby lol

And I think its my second life as long as I'm able to organize my online times the way I want. 

Last winter I got burned out, the summer before that too. In the last year I was away for 5 months I think... First time my pc broke, second time sl was crashing me out all the time. So I took a few days break. It lasted longer lol.

The point is, you need to move away and take a good look at everything from a distance. Time is great, distance too... it makes you realize whats important and what was just a flirt. I went away and waited to see will I miss it. Was reading forums from time to time, checking events and blogs, and one day i realized I miss the "job" I was doing. 

Nothing lasts forever, everything is repleacable and everything changes, and you would be like 10 years old machine if you stayed same. Accept the change and move on, take a 3 days break and do something else. If you like it the break will go on lol, and if SL was enjoyable for you, you will be back;)

Good luck!

I think everyone is going to suggest to just take some time off. I do it several times a year. My last break was 3 months last fall and I signed in once a week to get on and pay my tier and then I logged off immediately. Didn't put any new products out, didn't do much of anything. It was lovely. Then I came back and felt refreshed. WIth summer coming, I will be taking time off again, maybe not completely 100% off, but will definitely be limited so that i can enjoy the nice weather and hit the lake as much as possible.

And no, this isn't a job for me. This is fun. The second it isn't fun...you won't see me log in again.

Yeah I think we all hit that phase. I think it is a signal to switch gears for a while. Change scenery, change pastimes, learn something new, take a break and do nothing, take a break and be silly or be serious or whatever is opposite of what you were being when you burned out.

There is never any lack of things to explore or do or be.

"Frequently absent from SL for long periods" as it says on my profile.

I came, got addicted for a while, made a load of money as a jobbing scripter and merchant (but not enough for a RL income), did lots of helping here and in-world for NCI, got frustrated by the simple rudeness of so many people, found it was becoming work instead of fun, pretty much exhausted the general possibilities and not hooked enough to dedicate myself to any specifics (as you are with the babies), really frustrated by the ignorance of potential customers (so, like can u gimme dat? / I wanna thing that when you touch the other thing it shoots the thing but if you say bang it ...).  Bored of asking "have you followed the instructions on the notecard?"

Nah, it's just more satisfying to do other things in RL for a while.  I spend a lot of the Summer sailing, I spent this Winter building a house with a friend, etc.

I check email/IMs/forum posts every day, mostly for the scripting issues.  I go in-world about an hour a week, almost solely to test scripts.  I'm working on 3 non-SL programming projects for fun but 2 of them might lead to big systems in SL (a much better automatic script-writer, and a new type of NPC-driven game).  As part of the latter I'm just re-writing the adventures of Winnie Ther Pooh as an adventure game, and using the exercise as a programming introduction for my daughter.  It's funny, it's free, it's with family ...

Excuse me - Piglet and Pooh have been following some Woozle tracks and Piglet has just got scared and run home.  We have to get Christopher Robin to break the truth to Pooh ...

All great advice, thank you for spending a few mins on me.

I log in every day to check for support issues,comes with selling scripted or  anything some one has to read a notecard to understand (which no one reads,they just IM me)  to be honest I run a tite ship and 100% of any support is user error never on our end.I think I can start just logging in for the weekends  and see how it goes.

thx for the advice.

wrable Amat wrote:

In all my  SL time I have never felt burnt out , until lately . I love scripting and have been working on 3 new products for 4 months now involving mesh / scripting / HUD systems and my web server I use to log data like due dates and what kind of baby they want sent blah blah blah . For the first time I had to sit back and ask my self "Why are you doing this?" I love my RL job and if I made a million dollars on SL I still never quit teaching . I just feel lately there is a point I must review why I enjoy doing this stuff,

Is it a hobby?

Is it a part time job?

Is it my second life?

Do I really enjoy it?

what if I log in next time to a notice SL is closing soon..Did I waist all this time? 

I duno,if you have hit this point please share with me how you are dealing with it.

Welcome to burnout, Amat. I'm there in RL and nearing it in SL. It happens.

People buy and decorate homes in RL, only to move out of them. The time they spent decorating wasn't wasted. So I don't think you should concern yourself with the time you've already spent. It's the time you have yet to spend that needs your consideration.

I've heard that a change is as good as a rest. For those of us who don't rest well, that's good news. Of course we must then figure out what to change. We're creatures of habit, so breaking old habits and making new ones might actually be very good advice. They say it takes two weeks to create a habit. Just taking two weeks away from SL, without working on something to replace it, prolly won't work. So, find something else that interests you and pour yourself into it.

If that doesn't work, I have a theory I hope to test... that a little red Miata will fix everything.

I'll start by pretending I own one.

Good luck!

Some how I got my mojo back this weekend,It might have just been the burn on one hud system that was a real pain in meh butt to design.

I woke up Saturday,Sat down after my morning stuff I do ..And it was fingers of furry !

I think it was my game plan, We get to a point of competitiveness here as we try to make sure others are not the only large options to have.

So in the middle of making this giant all working hud system for a new product I thought  "gear change" what if I just constructed 1 version of  this and add a button on the hud that lets them have any other versions offer in the main shop for freebie!! Example ,here is Blue,I could make it turn Red,Blue or Green for you..Or here is Blue and grab red and green if you want them at no extra charge,you get what you want,I get to take days out of the build time as making a single change to object that not every one might feel the need for is fast and easy! (as you can tell I like to speak in riddles never really explaining it all )

Bottom line I was not burnt out,I was going in the wrong direction!  In the end was racking my brain .....

Thank you again for  the advice :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.