Penny Patton

Re: I want my avatar improved!!

Reply to Lanas Criss - view message

Technology/hardware can improve visual quality a lot, but some things require better art assets.

Despite being 4 years old, my computer runs SL better than average and I have a nice big 42" screen to run it on. So my avatar looks way better on this than my tiny, underpowered laptop that can only run SL at the minimum settings.

A better mesh model for the avatar would make my avatar look better on BOTH.

And to be clear, it's not a matter of adding more polygons. The SL avatar mesh is just poorly made. The UV maps don't line up properly, there's ugly seams (very noticible if you don't go with an unnatrually flat belly) the lack of toes for the feet, pinched vertices in the face...there's a lot that could be done better. Someone even edited the SL avatar mesh to show how the inner thigh area, a notoriously bad spot on the SL av mesh, could be improved just by moving the existing vertices, not adding any more! This fix could be made to SL without breaking existing content so there's no reason it hasn't been done.

Also, a single body shape can only be deformed so much before it looks bad, which is why I'd personalyl advocate several compatible avatar meshes capable of using the same improved texture UV maps. I'd say minimum 3 sets. Muscular, average and fat.

Additional mesh layers for clothing could be great, too. Like women's shirts that cover breast cleavage more naturally, rather than looking liek they're painted on a naked body. It would also help keep the clothing market strong with more options from people who may be comfortable retexturing the base model mesh options, but not so comfortable moddelling their own mesh clothing.

A Designer's View of Second Life
www.slguide.com
Melita Magic

Lanas Criss wrote:

The most amazing thing that ridiculously improved all the avatars I see was a new big box computer that my husband plugged into the TV.  Now I get to sit in a comfy chair with a wireless keyboard and mouse while watching SL come to life in way more beautiful ways than I could have ever expected.

Lanas

Want.
Specs, please.

"The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one."
"The best way to simplify life is to set your priorities straight."
- Nishan Panwar
Lanas Criss

[ Edited ]

Reply to Melita Magic - view message

I'm finally back from my trip so I could jump back onto the Magic Second Life Big Box Computer Tour Bus in our living room and I saw that you'd asked for 'Specs'... I know the TV is a Sony Bravia (says so on the front) although there's no size on it but 40 something inch is what I recall when we had the budget debates.  (I also saw that I'd been yelling in big fonts while on my laptop cause its sooooo smmmallllll and hard to see... sorry everyone)

As for the computer it's an HP Pavilion Elite HPE on the front label and I cut n' pasted the 'properties' for you in case that helps.  The properties said 'HPE-250f' which I Googled to see what it might say and it had all the "ATI Radeon HD 5770 Series Graphics With 1GB DDR5" type answers you're probably looking for but there was so much that I didn't know if you'd be interested  in that I didn't cut n' paste, but you can obviously look.

What I think is most important, but probably wasn't on your interest list either is the IKEA chair that makes it soooo comfortable, so I threw in a picture of that from their website.  There's a perfect height coffee table that the mouse, and a tasty drink, sit on and the keyboard in your lap is fantastic as well.  We picked up the keyboard and mouse together from Sam's a while back, its the Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000 package.  Notice the 'Comfort' theme... ahhhh :smileywink:

Enjoy the Specs (I'd recommend this wonderful setup to anyone!)

Lanas

Happy Setup.png

Start Enjoying Yourself Tonight! CandyPop Poses :smileyhappy:
Melita Magic

Thanks so much, Lanas! 

And congratulations!  :smileyhappy:

"The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one."
"The best way to simplify life is to set your priorities straight."
- Nishan Panwar