Viewer 2, slower than older versions!

Rose Bomse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Rose,

Yes, there are some issues as described in the Release Notes for http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Beta_Viewer/2.8.0

and http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/2.8.3

Scroll down those pages to the section Known Issues and try the workarounds suggested. As it says, the impact is more noticeable on older hardware.

I wouldn't call V2 to be a significant change in technology, as it doesn't bring anything new to the table.  Everything it does is within the existing OpenGL spec, which has been around for quite some time.  OpenGL is modern, sure, but it's not more or less so than the OpenGL used by older viewers.

It probably depends on computer and internet connection.  Viewer 2 behaved very well for me for a long time - no crashes, rezzing reasonably quick.  But in recent weeks there's been an increasing problem of avatar textures taking ages to load or not load at all.  If I go to a place with 20 people in, 10 might still be grey after half an hour, which reminds me of how things were when I joined SL in 2006!  

I'm now using Viewer 3 beta, which has the same slow loading problem, plus the fact that after a few minutes of smooth operation, the frame rate becomes jerky and sticky then the computer crashes.  Reducing the graphics settings makes no difference to this problem.

I haven't noticed any slowdown in frame rates or texture rezzing with V2 beta 3.0 and Kirstens latest S21(9) has phenomenal frame rates. You could try it and see if any better. I still have the odd niggle regarding some alpha textures and still no anti-aliasing with Shadows enabled but otherwise brilliant.

• 2 months later...

Been on sl since it started with all viewer versions and never experienced any problems! this new sl viewer2 is about 5 times slower than the 2009 viwer i was using previous. cant fly - viewer cant handle it - menus take 5-10 seconds to respond - everything is crippled- completly unusable! ive been to laaaggy sims b4 but this is something else - worse than lag! incidently i switched back to the old 2009 viewer - and no problems - no lag no unresponsiveness etc.. wtf linden lab if i didnt have the old viewer i wouldnt be able to enter sl - new viewer completly sucks!!!!!

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.