Lindens at a discount scam or not

Bobc49

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bobc49 wrote:

I have been recieving messages 

"Hello ! Welcome to: 
 Buy Cheapest Linden Dollars . 5K Linden Dollars = 12.57 USD.Wish you happy every day in Second Life !"

is this a scam how can they sell Lidens cheeper?????

They are certainly not an Authorized reseller.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Linden_Dollar_%28L$%29_Authorized_Reseller_Program

Someone has been spamming their services in SL.

I sure wouldn't trust it.

See also  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/An-Important-Reminder-About-Buying-and-Selling-L/ba-p/2334937

As with any online service, Second Life users are targeted by scammers from time to time. One type of scam we’ve seen recently are websites that promise huge discounts on L$ sales and even offer to buy L$.

Often, these sites use these “too good to be true” discounts to lure you into entering your credit card information, which they then steal. Sometimes, they will use trusted payment systems, but sell you fraudulently obtained L$. When these fraudulent L$ are recovered by Linden Lab, you may then struggle to recover your payment from the anonymous strangers that sold them to you.

Bobc49 wrote:

how can they sell Lidens cheeper?????

By originally obtaining them with stolen credit card information or with someone else's compromised account.  If you buy Linden's that are traced to fradulent activity, LL will take them back, and you are out your purchase price.  This makes the "deal" less appealing.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Bobc49 wrote:

By originally obtaining them with stolen credit card information or with someone else's compromised account.  If you buy Linden's that are traced to fradulent activity, LL will take them back, and you are out your purchase price.  This makes the "deal" less appealing.

From the various reports I've read I think it's more the case of them taking your RL money but not delivering the goods.

Lewis Luminos wrote:

Yes, it's a scam. The only way they can sell at below market price and still make a profit is by purchasing them with stolen credit cards.

I did some research - this site sells "currency" for a wide variety of MMO's and part of their business is "gold farming" and "power leveling"  - using humans to do in-game busywork to produce game tokens or level-up avatars, which they then sell for RL money. They may have put together a sort of informal black-market exchange that allows them to trade gold-farmed currencies for Lindens, which they can sell for cash. It may not be a 100% scam but it's far from being anything reliable enough for anyone to invest real money in.

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Bobc49 wrote:

From the various reports I've read I think it's more the case of them taking your RL money but not delivering the goods.

Googling "mmook scam" it appears there modus operandi is to make good on delivery the first time but then subsequent larger purchases fail.

I'd like to mention that probably a lot of that "farmed" gold comes from stolen accounts. And even if not, the gold is gained mostly trough use of unfair und not allowed methods, which can have a negative impact on a game. Power-leveling is the next dumbest idea...

All in all: Where ever their resources come from, its a bad source at some point.

Of course it is a scam or fraud.

No one would go through the trouble and costs of setting up a company and website to sell Lindens to others for less than they could simply exchange them for real currency on the Lindex. It doesn't matter where they got the Lindens from, if the Lindens are legit, they would simply sell them on the Lindex.

If you beleive this, I will sell you fresh one hundred dollar bills for the low low price of $85 each. Just give me all your payment information and I'll get right on it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.