Deploys for the week of 2011-06-06

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Things are moving right along this week. We were able to have a stable round of deploys last week. That really helps us moving forward. There are a lot of good projects in the pipeline for this summer.

Second Life Server (main channel)
The main channel will be getting the "friendship" project.. This contains changes to the People API which is an interface for managing anything having to do with relationships and personal information.
  • Added ability to handle friendship addition and removals.
  • Infrastructural changes.
  • The release includes the fixes to help deploys during rolling restarts.

2011-06-07, 5:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/11

Second Life RC BlueSteel
We do not have a new project for this slot. This channel will be set to match the main channel.

2011-06-08, 8:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/11

Second Life RC LeTigre
This channel will keep Kelly's "mono2-performance' branch.

2011-06-08, 9:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/11

Second Life RC Magnum
This project is keeping the "mesh-prep" branch after getting some bug fixes. This contains infrastructure and framework updates to get the grid ready for mesh. It does not include any mesh features or functionality. The physics engine has been updated and the 10cm gap between colliding objects has been removed for some objects. 
The llCastRay() function has been included, but it is disabled..

2011-06-08, 10:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/11

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. ( https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

in the past region owners had the ability to put off server updates for a time, although I don't know where that ability stands now, but as suggested, Oskar Linden would know. Region owners also have the option to "volunteer" to have their servers put on one of the release channels, which would shift the day that new versions were updated on, but it may also mean you'll be the first to experience new bugs (and features)... if you go that route, my suggestion would be Blue Steel, which seems reserved mostly for back end changes. You would talk to the same person about it.

Oskar can most often be found through the "Second Life Beta" group inworld, where he often updates group members on upcoming changes and projects

Last weeks rolling restart left my magnum sim where it's crash soon as several cars were racing. Symptoms started out with note cards(which give the cars the settings) failing to save or disconnecting the user when save was clicked, Then sim FPS would drop near zero. Public chat lag would get to be up to 1 minute then people would hardly be able to move to get off the sim in order for us to do a restart. Our normal script time via estate data is around 4.3 ms and during these issues all scripts will triple their normal scores. This happened every day we held a race (6 days in a row) since the rolling restart. I contacted support and filed out a ticket but support was absolutely no help and just pointed out ways to improve sim performance which I did day one and no response on the ticket a week now. A restart would cure the problem but only if done within a 1/2 hour of the event.

Boom?  Boom!  Host at 216.82.41.44 in Pheonix just vanished from the network leaving region Lusk offline for a few minutes.  Host 216.82.42.160, also in Pheonix, seems to have Lusk now.  Go go gadget Region Director!  No, this didn't feel like your typical rolling restart.

A friend of mine is having awful trouble with a server on Magnum, permissions changing and builds disappearing, I haven't seen any other complaints on these lines and don't see anything in the notes that would suggest potential for such issues but thought I'd mention it just in case others have had similar issues.

for me is after the last 2 releases le tigre worser on my sim, sim fps is chaning everythime from high to very low, sometimes it stay a time good and then suddenly it is lower and you cannot move, the lindens has been there too see and they say that the sim is run  good, but when they was stay a time they must have seen that.

And it is happening to when it is not crowded on the sim, for the last 2 releases the sim was running good with 40 avators on the sim and somethime 14000 scripts, and we did not change anything, and everytime when i ask for a restart i say that it could be the fault? of the last releases, but they never read this or will not can give one answer, i do not know, but now i am very unhappy with sl and would it will soon better

Hanneke Beatty

And sorry for  my bad english

I don't know if it is a server issue but since the rollouts this last time my sim Night Wish has been having a lot of issues.  Mostly asset related, like prims refusing to be deleted after rezzing, or refusing to rez at all.   I have also been having issues with scripts, the client tells me some of my own scripts I do not have permission to view. Editing scripts is almost impossible at moments as I keep getting the message that the server experience an unidentified error.   Like I said, I don't know if its due to a server release or not, but it all seems to have cropped up since the last roll out. Very Frustrating.

Thanks for all the hard work of late though.  Even if I am banging my head on the wall at the moment seeing the changes going by in this area has been encouraging.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4701 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.