Auction is back

Iren Tinkel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

when last time you looked Auctions link?

till last time Auction link on website was empty. Also in search there was no auctions. If they still sell land for 1 ld - i hope they will really stop that doing without auctions cos all this land comes to land resellers and after to us for 5 ld/1 sqm.

i will rather pay base price 1ld/1sqm to Linden Lab on auction than to resellers.

Auction is easy to access at least and i can open auction link and see available land and bid that.

Here it is today.

http://usd.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/list/

Seems like there is plenty for sale.

ETA:  The L$1/sqm price for Linden land for sale will be very competitive in some areas and, since the price is so attractive, it is incumbent  upon residents to look at the map to find them (since they do not appear as purple blocks as the auctioned parcels).

So, you can buy at auction or look for L$1/sqm Linden land for sale or both.

Just in passing:  You're both right.  Auctioning of the backlog of long-ago abandoned land continued in parallel with the automated L$1/sq.m. sales of newly-abandoned land, but those auctions stopped for a couple of weeks in the past month or so.  In fact, the queue has gone empty a couple of times since, too.  During the hiatus, I wondered if they might have been suspended in anticipation of a market-changing announcement about Land, but evidently not, now that auctions have resumed.

my point is selling abandoned land without auctions is crazy idea. auctions were off not for a week at all. i buy land often and i prefer to do it on auctions, so i was looking for land and i monitor this market often enough cos need parcels all the time for different purposes and some months ago was my question to live chat where are auctions?! and they gave me link to http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Land/Announcing-an-Easier-Way-to-Purchase-Abandoned-Mainland-Property/ba-p/829263

it means if i want to buy land from linden lab i should break by head searching for that. at least on zindra. and i didnt have luck for all this time because land resellers have own scheme, they get abandoned land next minute after lindens set it for sell and immediately they put it in resell for price 300-600%. and now almost all land for sell on zindra is from land resellers. really, i take land not for business purpose so why should i pay overrated in reseller purse?! its just unfair and make level of speculations on land market very high.

Speculation. Mainland has shrunk, while Zindra has more than doubled in size since it was formed. You think maybe LL is pursuing the wrong strategy with it's efforts to Disneynify? Perhaps the better decision would have been to simply close the teen grid down instead of incorporating it with the main grid.

Iren Tinkel wrote:

my point is selling abandoned land without auctions is crazy idea. auctions were off not for a week at all. i buy land often and i prefer to do it on auctions, so i was looking for land and i monitor this market often enough cos need parcels all the time for different purposes and some months ago was my question to live chat where are auctions?! and they gave me link to

it means if i want to buy land from linden lab i should break by head searching for that. at least on zindra. and i didnt have luck for all this time because land resellers have own scheme, they get abandoned land next minute after lindens set it for sell and immediately they put it in resell for price 300-600%. and now almost all land for sell on zindra is from land resellers. really, i take land not for business purpose so why should i pay overrated in reseller purse?! its just unfair and make level of speculations on land market very high.

Look, you can choose to remember things however you want, but I assure you that the auctions were running steadily for months after they started setting abandoned land to sale automatically for L$1/sq.m.  I bought several parcels at auction during that time.  I also bought some of the L$1/sq.m. abandoned parcels.

I also know that the practice continues of setting new abandoned parcels for sale automatically -- I bought one just yesterday that was set for sale two days ago.

Zindra is a completely different market, more akin to Bay City / Nova Albion or Nautilus City.  People (and probably bots) watch for opportunities on that continent very closely.  I doubt L$1/sq.m. parcels last 30 seconds there.

Also, I don't understand the point of buying land only from LL, not from resellers.  Eventually, every buyer is a reseller, unless they abandon what they bought. You've already said that the Linden's L$1/sq.m. price is wrong, and having spent a lot of L$s at auctions I can say: those are not the market of rational agents, either.  Some resellers set unrealistic prices, certainly, but overall they are the market -- certainly more than either of the Linden sources.

I mean, I certainly don't make a business of reselling land, but I certainly have sold  land to free up tier to buy other parcels that better suit my changing needs.  I guess it's understandable that anyone too pure to sell their land might well object to spending very much for it -- in which case they shouldn't be shopping in Zindra... nor Nova Albion, nor Bay City, nor Nautilus City, nor Shermerville, nor... well, pretty much anywhere land still has value.

• 1 month later...

Funny, I have land in Zindra and the mainland that has been for sale for over two months because I have decided to leave SL, basically no interest in it. It is all land on protected boundaries, in decent sims.

In my humble opinion, LL has pretty much killed the value of land in SL over the past few years. When I think back to four years ago when land was actually worth something and what I paid for the land, I am now trying to sell it is sad. I know some people will likely disagree but a review of the current auctions shows that the starting prices that they are asking for is about .1/2L / sq. m and for most of those parcels there are no bids. Try opening your land maps in world and look at the amount of yellow parcels for sale. It is scary.

Bottom line, land values in SL are already dead and if it is not much use to complain about it. Whether this is a reflection of too many people speculating on land ownership or failing memberships so that there is more land than potential owners, I don't know.

Looking at the post of the CEO about what LL is doing to invigorate SL for 2012 does not show any improvement for landowners. The only comment is that they are not going to increase the tiers this year! Wow! What a biscuit that is! The land holders are all the premium members whose land values they help destroy by selling lots at 1L/m  (or less at auction now) and they are not going to increase our fees for the privilege of not being able to sell our lands at a decent price.

And people wonder why I have decided to leave SL....

^ This.

I love my land. I pay $40/month in tier for it, but I don't expect to ever get back what I paid to buy it, even though it is in a beautiful location next to an inland sea.

Linden Lab is predominately responsible for the collapse of the SL land market. The RL economy is partly responsible for people not wanting to spend as much money in SL. But the pre-2011 team at LL did much of the damage too. Reselling all newly abandoned land at $1/ square meter was the final nail in the coffin for all but the most desirable areas. Linden Lab seemed to almost systematically find areas of SL where users were making some profit & find some way to undercut them. First it was the sale of merchandise in world, by making it easier & more profitable to sell online on Marketplace (where LL is sure of getting a cut of the sales). Then it was rental property. They created nearly free housing for new residents & practically wiped out the low-end rental business. Then it was land sales, when they flooded the market with $L 1/ m parcels.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not wailing on about how LL is destroying SL. I think they're finally starting to do things to turn around this destruction. But there was much damage done to the SL economy with poor decisions in the past, & it's going to take time, work & great ideas to fix it.

Valar Commons wrote:

Funny, I have land in Zindra and the mainland that has been for sale for over two months because I have decided to leave SL, basically no interest in it. It is all land on protected boundaries, in decent sims.

You have Zindra land for sale at L$1 / sq.m. and it's not selling?  I didn't realize it had come to that.

Otherwise, yeah, the general Mainland has been flooded with vacant land for a long time.  Even before they forced out a big chunk of landowners to the fresh Zindra continent, they'd tanked the market with one new continent after another until somebody finally got Jack to put on the brakes with Gaeta only partially complete.

Then they started selling Linden Homes with a huge barrier to moving elsewhere, thanks to the subsidy of a home that doesn't count against parcel prims, so that sucked customers away from both Mainland and Estates instead of encouraging more upscale ownership.  That screw-up could have been easily fixed by doubling the Premium bonus tier--obvious since the beginning of Linden Homes--yet they've just kept adding more Linden Home sims, while more and more of Mainland is abandoned.  I don't see how they could possibly miss the correlation.

• 4 weeks later...

Out of curiosity i checked out what valars zindra land was. It's a 7168 underwater plot in inca, being sold for 45K.

I`d suggest that if it still isnt selling, to chop it up or to lower the price, especially as its overlooked by three houses, of which two are ugly as heck and are blocking off all the water access.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.