So, any idea whats happening with the new world / Second Life 2?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just wondering if anyone has any updates. We had the announcment and i was present at the later firestorm meeting with the lindens but since then i have heard nothing. Mostly whispers and un confirmed rumours. Would be nice if they kept us updated to some extent as some of us (ME...) are excited for this new world!

Can't imagine what on earth could possibly posses LL to tell this community ANYTHING.

LL could announce a free cure for cancer and we would have one community complaining about reduced revenue from casket sales. Another community screaming in fear of mandatory injections. Despite the announcement specifically mentioning that the cure comes In pill form and will be completely voluntary.

I wonder to what extent the 'High Fidelity' advanced virtual world project will be involved with Linden Lab's proposed 'SL2'.

High Fidelity is an independent project led by LL's founder, Philip rosedale, but now its website lists Linden Lab as one of its major investors.

https://highfidelity.com/   - scroll down page to see major investors, of which LL is one.

Ichi Rexen wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has any updates. We had the announcment and i was present at the later firestorm meeting with the lindens but since then i have heard nothing. Mostly whispers and un confirmed rumours. Would be nice if they kept us updated to some extent as some of us (ME...) are excited for this new world!

Maybe the original plan is still in effect? Alpha and beta phases in 2015, and then the release of the 'final' version somewhere in 2016.

If so then there are nothing more to tell at this stage. Or should Linden Lab announce every month:

Month 1: Yes, we're still on schedule. We implemented this and that.

Month 2: Yes, we're still on schedule. Adding new features going on.

Month 3: Yes, we're still on schedule. More new features were added.

Month 4: Yes, we're still on schedule. Again more features were added.

... and so on until it's finally released?

If something goes terribly wrong and they decide to abandon the Next Generation Platform project they surely will make an announcement about it.

Patience, patience... it's still being worked on. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Coby Foden wrote:

Ichi Rexen wrote:

Maybe the original plan is still in effect? Alpha and beta phases in 2015, and then the release of the 'final' version somewhere in 2016.

If so then there are nothing more to tell at this stage. Or should Linden Lab announce every month:

Month 1: Yes, we're still on schedule. We implemented this and that.

Month 2: Yes, we're still on schedule. Adding new features going on.

Month 3: Yes, we're still on schedule. More new features were added.

Month 4: Yes, we're still on schedule. Again more features were added.

... and so on until it's finally released?

Yes. Either you go public or not. Someone decided to go public. Phil got at least THIS right, while Altberg did not. His wishiwashi maybe maybe not whatsoever pseudo announcements are only annoying.

Coby Foden wrote

If something goes terribly wrong and they decide to abandon the Next Generation Platform project they surely will make an announcement about it.:

If you go pseudo public the way Linden Lab does, then "something going terribly wrong" is even more deadly for a business company as if f.e. Phil´s HiFi would become delayed or even failed, because Phil never made some wishiwashi promises as Linden Lab did - It´s all transparent.

Vivienne Schell wrote:

....But....if HiFi is what Linden Lab is up to, then there will still be a looooooong way to go.

Unless perhaps High Fidelity is just being used to develop specific features like, for example, the avatar copying user's motion.

I tested out Hi-Fi alpha the other day. Gave it an hour of my time and even with the documentation it took me around 30 minutes to actually get an avatar to load. The world would barely load. The character models do not look all that great. The scripting system uses Java and its a total cluster**bleep** to get anything done (let alone figure out how to use it properly). The build import options and movement are another cluster**bleep**. The viewer or 'interface' as its called is just outright confusing...its so so so so badly designed and not at all streamlined. I understand what 'Alpha' means but Hi-Fi made big promises and so far i cant say it delivers on any of them (one case in point...connection speed to server).  I mean, just trying to figure out how to teleport to other zones was a challenge in itself(and i still havent got the hang of finding my way around the worlds). The world barely loads and in my opinion shouldnt even be at Alpha release yet. I mean...try it for yourself and leave feedback here but so far.....Second Life is 100x better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.