MP pricing

Christin73

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After spending alot of time on mp lately, I have noticed prices for things have gone up. Not only have they gone up but they have gone up to a rediculously high amount. Is the SL ecconomy realy all that great that merchants feel they can rais their prices?

While I'm hesitant to draw your undoubtedly impressive economic expertise into question, what is it that makes you believe that prices only rise when economies are strong?

Or, perhaps a better question would be, why do you think that the Second Life Marketplace's coagulation of worldwide, largely-solo creators are reacting in an intelligent, coordinated and uniform manner to market conditions?

Christin73 wrote:

After spending alot of time on mp lately, I have noticed prices for things have gone up. Not only have they gone up but they have gone up to a
rediculously
ridiculously high amount. Is the SL ecconomy realy all that great that merchants feel they can rais their prices?

Merchants can do what the hell they like with prices, it's an open market, don't buy if you don't like the price.  If they don't sell, either the merchant will:-

a) change the price (maybe up or down, cheap doesn't always sell because people can assume it's poor quality and thus the reason for cheap).

b) not care at all.

How many L$1,000,000 pose balls do you think i've sold?  If you say zero, you'd be wrong :matte-motes-delicious:

What is ridiculously high?  There are more freebies, dollarbies, and promos than ever before and I haven't noticed a overall price increase for a long time now.  Knowing how long it takes to create a quality original product, sometimes weeks of RL work, I think the prices are reasonable. 

Fortunately creators can set their own prices.  If you think something is priced too high just don't buy it.

Exactly and to the OP (and anyone else who doesn't understand), please don't go flagging things that you just think are expensive by using the "inflated listing price" reason. That's not what it's for!

There is no such "I think it's too expensive" flag and neither should there be.

Inflated prices flag is for use when the MP price is higher than inworld or other e-commerce sites.

In the end, people don't like paying the worth of a product. Instead they opt for "cheap", and when the item they purchased doesn't work for them, they go ballistic.

That doesn't mean that cheap items are not good... but I have seen time and time again someone pay, say, 25L for a product instead of the 500L version, and when the 25L version doesnt fit, or work, or has issues. they rip the creator/seller a new one.

If you don't want to buy the higher priced item, don't buy it. If it's something you really want, and its a reputable seller, bite the bullet and pay for it. You probably won't regret it.

Christin73 wrote:

After spending alot of time on mp lately, I have noticed prices for things have gone up. Not only have they gone up but they have gone up to a rediculously high amount. Is the SL ecconomy realy all that great that merchants feel they can rais their prices?

Have you any valid example for such an increase or is it just your feeling?

And what is for example overpriced in your opinion?

Christin73 wrote:

Not only have they gone up but they have gone up to a rediculously high amount. Is the SL ecconomy realy all that great that merchants feel they can rais their prices?

Indeed. There is an unspoken yet quiet resignment among most of these merchant types that their meagre talents "talents" are not really saleable in any world but SL, so they're making hay while the sun shines. It's like selling sandbags on the Titanic.

HughJegow wrote:

....that SL is not going to be around much longer, .....

based on what info?...... to what i know it will disappear once but not in the next monrhs or year(s)..... as long there is a profitable userbase they won't pull the plug that soon.

Sansar isn't up and running yet, and it's a real question if it will overrun SL that quickly.

Mmmm Yeah,

Use your wallet the way it was designed to be used. If the item is out of your budget, keep it closed and look elsewhere.

See how simple that is?

The SL MarketPlace seems like it always has to me, lots of interesting items for sale, especially from creators I know and love mixed in with lots of new things and a lot of junk. Prices for every budget.

Radium Soup wrote:

Christin73 wrote:

Not only have they gone up but they have gone up to a rediculously high amount. Is the SL ecconomy realy all that great that merchants feel they can rais their prices?

Indeed. There is an unspoken yet quiet resignment among most of these merchant types that their meagre
talents
"talents" are not really saleable in any world but SL, so they're making hay while the sun shines. It's like selling sandbags on the Titanic.

The only 'hay' they would be making is from buyers who don't try demos first (if applicable) or haven't a care for what they purchase as is their right.  So we should care because....??

Alwin Alcott wrote:

HughJegow wrote:

....that SL is not going to be around much longer, .....

based on what info?...... to what i know it will disappear once but not in the next monrhs or year(s)..... as long there is a profitable userbase they won't pull the plug that soon.

Sansar isn't up and running yet, and it's a real question if it will overrun SL that quickly.

How about this for a scenario?

* LL launch SL V2 too early, although delayed, under pressure from investors

* After an initial surge of early adopters and astroturfers, the inadequacies of the platform deter joinups

* LL close SL to encourage takeup of SL V2

* SL V2 still has problems, and user migration is minimal

* The plug is pulled on SL V2 as technically and commercially unviable

* My blog says: "Nanananana! Told you so."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.