How do you animate a swimmimg pool?

garey Solo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made one ages ago and put the animations into a poseball that I had connected to a pivot which rotated... It was a little tricky to get the rotation speed right so the swimming animation looked "realistic" but it worked. Have to say I was bored a bit swimming in circles :womanlol:

couldn't you do it like the dance balls in a club? when you are animated by one of those, you can move around where you want. There's an old script in the library for a dance ball, maybe you could use it: http://lslwiki.net/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=LibraryDanceBall

edit: not like the little pose balls that you sit on and dance, but the other ones that are often over the dance floor like a disco ball that you click and allow them to animate you while you are standing.

swim_001.png

I started working on this a while back but never did finish.

I got a free club type dance "machine" and put my swimming animation in it.  I was then able to swim freely around my pool.  The trick though is getting the hight offset correct so you appear to be swimming on the surface of the water.  Others were able to swim with me also.

By using the dance machine my idea was that you'd be able to choose / change your strokes.  In the screen shot I had moved the scripts into my own object and had only put one swim in it, hence only one appears in the HUD.

The problem I had with the height offset was I did not know how to tell the animation where the surface of the pool water was so I had to be 'standing' at the correct height when I started swimming.

I'd imagine a scriptor would be able to figure this out.

This is actually pretty complicated to do very well.

The least complicated approach is to use the anim in an AO, but this is only going to work for the person who owns the animation.  I guess one could put it in some sort of chim, but compared to dancing, swimming needs more intricate control of when to play which animation.  

Many AOs trigger swimming animations when below the level of Linden water in the sim, so that helps a bit, but only specialized attachments add the physics (buoyancy, mostly) that makes it "feel" like swimming.

There's one approach that uses a swim ball that becomes almost a little vehicle when you sit on it, so you can "drive" it around the pool.  The height of the ball becomes the height of the avatar when animated.  There's another prim that rezzes a replacement swim ball each time somebody rides away.  They have multiple animations inside, so you can tread water, as well as choose from a couple of different swimming strokes.

Years ago, I played around with a combination attachment (for the physics and control of when anims played) and danceball-like script (to actually play the anims, so everybody didn't need to own a copy of the animations).  It mostly worked, but I never quite perfected the physics: when people swam up from the depths, there was a pretty good chance they'd breach the surface--by about 50 meters. :smileyembarrassed:

Qie Niangao wrote:

This is actually pretty complicated to do very well.

The least complicated approach is to use the anim in an AO, but this is only going to work for the person who owns the animation.  I guess one could put it in some sort of chim, but compared to dancing, swimming needs more intricate control of when to play which animation. 

This is what I was seeing while working with it.  Went beyond my knowledge at the time. I'd keep kicking and paddling even when I stopped moving. But for a small pool like mine it was nice.

we not supposed to pimp stuff but search in world for siggy waterworks. he makes special pool water that knows when u get in it, like on start collision i think. can use with his hud or can set up so that the pool works like a dance ball so when u jump in the pool then u get a menu so you can swim and float in dif ways. it also knows when u get out and stops playing the swim animation

ps. he have a sample hud u can test that works on his sim. is pretty cool when ppl make that kinda thing so we can test stuff before we buy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.