Do Residents have any Responsibilities?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As we are a Community, Our morals, values and guidelines realized in SL, are establish by the many and not the few. This thread is in a General Discussion Category, and Residents in the Forums are given a degree of latitude in which to establish, present, and support their positions.

You have stated your position, along with a resolution that your comments are not open for debate or discussion.

After reviewing my own OP, and the topics presented for discussion, I'm beginning to suspect that your non-replies are starting to take us Off Topic.

I have considered your statement, and I will continue to do so.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Knowl - it isn't.

Your consiousness resides in that bag of flesh which sits at your computer - this is a fact. You can "take responsibility" for your words and "actions" when using the program without this mistaken belief that you "live" in the program.

The term "Resident" is a marketing ploy - nothing more and nothing less. How often Linden Lab uses it and where they use it is irrelevant.

"Reality" is made up of facts and theories - The facts state that you are a User - not a Resident.

I am quite tired of correcting you on this Knowl - and no, people who deal oin facts are not a "minority". We simply do not normally correct others unless we've reached the end of our rope. 

Solar Legion wrote:

It's not an "opinion" - it's a fact. Is 
your
consiousness presently uploaded to a mainframe?

No. 

To the best of my knowledge, my consciousness never leaves my cranium no matter where I am. 

(Though I do remember a few occasions when my Parents asked me where my mind had been.)

Fortunately, this train was nearing the end of it's line when it derailed.

If they give you lemons, make lemonade.

How do you account for the time in your daily loss of consciousness, in the activity of Sleeping? I tried to call but nobody answered the phone; where were you?

Sleeping inside your head? Do you really expect me to believe that? There's no way that your head didn't hear the phone ringing. You must have been somewhere else.

A plausible explanation for a single instance. Can you explain the remaining 364 instances in the past Year alone?

It would appear that we have a habitual sleeper on our hands. Something should be done to help this Resident!

:smileyvery-happy: :smileywink:

Solar Legion wrote:

No Knowl - it isn't.

Your consiousness resides in that bag of flesh which sits at your computer - this is a
fact
. You can "take responsibility" for your words and "actions" when using the program without this mistaken belief that you "live" in the program.

The term "Resident" is a marketing ploy - nothing more and nothing less. How often Linden Lab uses it and
where
they use it is
irrelevant.

"Reality" is made up of
facts
and
theories
- The
facts
state that you are a User - not a Resident.

I am quite tired of correcting you on this Knowl - and no, people who deal oin
facts
are not a "minority". We simply do not normally correct others unless we've reached the end of our rope. 

it's a virtual world with virtual community why would there not be virtual residents? Oo

those residents are going to be taking part in virtual things..

LL is not the only virtual place that uses the term virtual resident..so call it marketing term if you like..thats your choice..

the medical fields use it as well as lots of fields..

simplify it or complicate it however and as much as you like with as many RL definitiona as you like..

i don't think anyone is stupid enough to think we have been uploaded here LOL

there is nothing to correct.

if you can't handle the fact that it's all virtual and you are gonna see and hear people doing virtual things in virtual ways..then you may think about getting a longer rope..

you are trying to dump reality in something that is based on virtual reality to make people feel stupid..

that's like shooting a gun with a clogged barrel..

you are gonna try to make some RL definition stick that doesn't have a sticky side to it here.. the term virtual resident is out there and used and growing..so it's too legit to quit..

we all are virtual residents..even you *winks*

the big secrete..there is no rope..hehehe

now for everyones listening pleasure...everyone have a good easter weekend..*winks*

A really neat video to this song is here..

or if you just wish to hear it you can watch this one with lyrics

Knowl Paine wrote:

Fortunately, this train was nearing the end of it's line when it derailed.

If they give you lemons, make lemonade.

How do you account for the time in your daily loss of consciousness, in the activity of Sleeping?

It's idling in neutral with the parking break set.

Knowl Paine wrote:?

I tried to call but nobody answered the phone; where were you?

Sleeping inside your head? Do you really expect me to believe that? There's no way that your head didn't hear the phone ringing. You must have been somewhere else.

In RL I am hearing impaired.  Though my ex always accused me of "selective hearing."

I'm confused as to why the difference between users and residents is being made into such an issue... they're the same thing... it's just a matter of semantics.  I'm honestly bemused that this is what people are focusing upon.

What Solar has had to say about responsibility, is basically the same exact thing that I have said about it all along. Whether Solar thinks of us all as residents or users makes little to no difference.

Knowl said: "As we are a Community, Our morals, values and guidelines realized in SL, are establish by the many and not the few."... not true... the guidelines are set forth by LL, no one else.  If you choose to enforce anything else, based on your own belief of what's right and wrong, and therefore inflict that belief on your fellow residents, you can rest assured that it will come to no avail.  No one is required to live by the standards of behavior that you or any other resident/user has set forth.  LL has the final say... not you... not anyone else.

...Dres

LL is a service provider.

If a majority of Residents wanted something (legal), LL would provide that service. Residents can agree on very few things. If we all agreed to something, LL would provide it.

Hats are now mandatory :smileyvery-happy:

See man tick; a fun game, for those interested in playing games.

"Customer" would be my first choice, followed by Consumer. Those designations have recognition in Legal venues.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I'm confused as to why the difference between users and residents is being made into such an issue... they're the same thing... it's just a matter of semantics.  I'm honestly bemused that this is what people are focusing upon.

What Solar has had to say about responsibility, is basically the same exact thing that I have said about it all along. Whether Solar thinks of us all as residents or users makes little to no difference.

Knowl said: "As we are a Community, Our morals, values and guidelines realized in SL, are establish by the many and not the few."... not true... the guidelines are set forth by LL, no one else.  If you choose to enforce anything else, based on your own belief of what's right and wrong, and therefore inflict that belief on your fellow residents, you can rest assured that it will come to no avail.  No one is required to live by the standards of behavior that you or any other resident/user has set forth.  LL has the final say... not you... not anyone else.

...Dres

My outlook is pretty much this..

land owners can set their own rules where they reside..just as long as they are within the rules and not beyond them..just as in the 1st life world..it's our right here..

i don't agree that anyone can step outside their land and start enforcing their own set of rules on everyone else..we pretty much only have the TOS then..

but at the same time enough residents getting together have pushed for changes to those rules at times and have gotten them changed or made much clearer to understand..just as they have to laws in the 1st life world..

a user to me has always been the account holder..where a resident to me has always been the account..

a user can have more than one account..a resident  can't..

that's how i've always understood it to be anyways..

ETA: if you look at the Terms of service..they use the term user..because that is about the service..we have to agree to these before we can even get in..

if you look at Community standards they use the term resident..because those are about the community..basically our 6 commandments while inside..hehehe

the whole redzone/quickware thing was about protecting a residents user information from other residents..

resident information is the account information.. user information is account holders information..

so there is a difference between the two..

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

If someone doesn't understand what a Resident of Second Life is, then they are indeed a user.

sorry i went and added a little more to my post because i didn't think i was being to clear with my point i was trying to make..

basically it's in the rules that we are residents by account and users by account holder..

a user doesn't own the land..the resident does...otherwise we could just delete an account and have an alt step in and  take over..

we end up having to sell it to our alt even though the same user is in control of both accounts..

how much someone understands or doesn't understand the TOS doesn't change what they are..basically..

ETA:i went and put an ETA where i addedto my other post..i was hoping i could add  to it before someone responded..but noooooo LOL

here i thought i was the onyl one up this late.. hehehehe i'm gonna have to work more on my ninja skills  hehehehe

I think it is an issue because the term is derogatory and communicates implied indebtedness.

I'm not Using SL, I'm interfacing with it. :matte-motes-smug:

If a server serves my commands; how am I not the master? :matte-motes-evil-invert:   (shake: ATH)

I can think of a few reasons why LL wouldn't want call us the Masters. (LL) :smileymad:

Toilet paper has users. :smileyindifferent: 

Ceka Cianci wrote:

My outlook is pretty much this..

land owners can set their own rules where they reside..just as long as they are within the rules and not beyond them..just as in the 1st life world..it's our right here..

i don't agree that anyone can step outside their land and start enforcing their own set of rules on everyone else..we pretty much only have the TOS then..

but at the same time enough residents getting together have pushed for changes to those rules at times and have gotten them changed or made much clearer to understand..just as they have to laws in the 1st life world..

a user to me has always been the account holder..where a resident to me has always been the account..

a user can have more than one account..a resident  can't..

that's how i've always understood it to be anyways..

ETA: if you look at the Terms of service..they use the term user..because that is about the service..we have to agree to these before we can even get in..

if you look at Community standards they use the term resident..because those are about the community..basically our 6 commandments while inside..hehehe

the whole redzone/quickware thing was about protecting a residents user information from other residents..

resident information is the account information.. user information is account holders information..

so there is a difference between the two..

You're right... the difference you've set forth here makes perfect sense. The thing is, in the context of discussing our responsibilities, that differentiation in terms makes little difference.  So still, I'm left wondering why it's been made into such a big deal.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

You're right... the difference you've set forth here makes perfect sense. The thing is, in the context of discussing our responsibilities, that differentiation in terms makes little difference.  So still, I'm left wondering why it's been made into such a big deal.

...Dres

i'm sure there was a trigger point somewhere... i stated my have to's in a first post..then in my next post.. my feel the need to's once i felt it was about things we feel a need to step up to..

then left..

when i came back to have a look at the thread it became about if there were residents or not..Oo

so i steppd into my feel the need to role hehehehe and looked it up rather than going off memory..

i have to double check these things because of the way LL changes things without saying a word to us these days..  lol

thats my alibi and i'm stickin to it!! \o/ hehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4373 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.