Reporting from "upgrade" Hell.

BellaDonna Mocha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having to delete my "Unassociated Inventory" one at a time..  With hundreds left and it taking between 3 - 5 minutes each it will take me at least about another 10 hours just to be able to start sending items to the marketplace again. 

I feel as if I'm caught in "automatic migration" hell.

I can imagine there are 1000's of us feeling the same way.

Thanks LL for another fine mess.

BellaDonna Mocha wrote:

I'm having to delete my "Unassociated Inventory" one at a time..  With hundreds left and it taking between 3 - 5 minutes each it will take me at least about another 10 hours just to be able to start sending items to the marketplace again. 

The throttle factor will go away soon, one would hope;-)

It is absolutely impossible to work on the merchant side no matter what LL claims to have done. Maybe people with 10 listings can get this done fast. But if you have 4.5K in listings and have to deal with 100 at a time and then delete from the Unassociated Inventory (before picking up the magic box)...you are stuck in hell. 

This really is completely unacceptable and must be fixed asap, since in their ultimate widsom LL made May 18 as a cutoff date, and there are holidays inbetween. I am not going to spend hours trying to delete 100 items when it should take at the most 3 seconds.

Another total complete screw-up. Why am I not surprised?

BellaDonna Mocha wrote:

Miss Bella, if you will delete all the items in your unassociated items list out of your magic box(es), sync with the marketplace and log out and back in, all those will be deleted by the system in one fatal swoop.  But you gotta be sure everything is gone from the magic boxes so the system can't find them in any box.  If it does...they will stay.

It is a good idea and I already tried it ... BUT if you have more than 100 items in a magic box, even if you move them to the upload, and then delete the magic box and resynch, you will have to click "List" them again which also takes loads of time. And I have 36 magic boxes with 4.5k of items. So this is not something I can use.

I had the same problem, started to delete one by one until thinking F** it, if unassociated they don't matter anyway right?

Checking today they magically all dissapeared by themselves saving me a few hours of *delete.. waaaaiting and checking .. oh delete and waaaiting again... "

Best luck to you!

Random, try this:

1. COPY 100 items from a Magic Box into your Local Inventory.
  2. Copy those 100 items into the Merchant Outbox (probably best to do a few at a time)
  3. Send to Marketplace
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all 100 have been sent up to the Marketplace and are marked as "Direct" in the Manage Listings page
  5. Go back to your Magic Box and DELETE those same 100 items from the Magic Box
  6. Sync Marketplace with Magic Boxes

After you complete step 6 and give it a few minutes to complete the Sync, those 100 items you deleted from the Magic Box should ALSO be gone from Unassociated Inventory. Then just go back to step 1 above and do the NEXT 100 from that same Magic Box.

When you've fully emptied the Magic Box, delete the Magic Box from In-World. Next go into the Magic Box Status page and Force Remove the Magic Box you just deleted and .... Sync Marketplace with Magic Boxes one more time.

That should speed things up quite a bit and won't make you delete Unassociated one at a time.

Darrius I do appreciate the help. BUT...once again the loading even of 100 in FS works fine. It is the step of unassociated inventory delete that is impossible in any normal time span. The magic boxes i have almost all have MORE than 100 items in them. After 100 you cannot load without getting import failure. Then you have to delete before loading more. If you try delete it is snail's pace. It is absolutely horrendous! 

But i will try the extra step of deleting from the magic box. However, you make one mistake there it is also a pain.

the point is we should not be forced to work like this in a system. Delete should take 2 seconds even 100 items not 1 hour to get rid of a few. 

LL knew this was coming for months. It was up to them to build enough server and cloud space not to slow this process to a crawl. This is a major screw-up and is a freaking waste of time for any merchant. That is the point.

I should not be forced to do crazy workarounds because LL did not plan correctly. I can only imagine FB or Twitter or LinkedIN telling users to use workarounds to post or like on their pages. 

Ridiculous and right in the spirit of all LL upgrades. 

Well. I am getting an error message the past two days in both LL viewer and FS. I only got 1 item in direct delivery before this message started. So, I'm borked. Anyone else?

The thing that's hard is most designers are designing, involved in hunts and events and other things that are really a job here, and this added "job" that is so slow, omg, the MP is a snail, well, it's just impossible to get this done. 

Here's the message:--anyone else?

Marketplace initialzation failed

Initalzation w ith the Marketplace failed because of a system or network error. Try again Later.

Faye Feldragonne wrote:

Well. I am getting an error message the past two days in both LL viewer and FS. I only got 1 item in direct delivery before this message started. So, I'm borked. Anyone else?

The thing that's hard is most designers are designing, involved in hunts and events and other things that are really a job here, and this added "job" that is so slow, omg, the MP is a snail, well, it's just impossible to get this done. 

Initalzation w ith the Marketplace failed because of a system or network error. Try again Later.

Howdy, Miss Faye

Many other people have reported getting that error message.  I, personally, have only gotten it one time, but it worked again immediately.  So you're not the only one who is gettin that message.

Are you using Firestorm? I am and got the same error message yesterday... I forgot who, but some wonderful person on these forums told me to go to my preferences if you're using Firestorm and make sure English is checked for the client language and NOT System Default. Once I did this and relogged, I finally was able to send things to the Marketplace via the merchant outbox. I hope this helps!

Random Sixpence wrote:

the point is we should not be forced to work like this in a system. Delete should take 2 seconds even 100 items not 1 hour to get rid of a few. 

I agree with you there Random, deletion of 100, 200 or even 2000 items shouldn't fail due to a network or any other timeout. It makes me think they're using a rather inefficient loop whereby they look up one item, delete it, then look up the next item. What they should be doing is using a single "Query" to do the lookup and deletion of all the items at once. 

However, the procedure I suggest works fast. Deleting the items from the Magic Box and Syncing with Marketplace takes about as much time as deleting 2 or 3 items manually AND it also prevents them magically coming back because the Marketplace "thinks" they are still in a Magic Box somewhere.

Until you do a sync and the Marketplace gets a new accurate record of what is really in the Magic Boxes, it holds onto its old "memory" and will periodically put the ghost items back in the list. Apparently when you delete an Unassociated Item from the Manage Listings page, it does not go to the Magic Box records and remove it from every Magic Box "Memory" too; it just leaves those old memories in place. It's a non-obvious step, but it's a required step.

As a programmer and developer for many years, I understand why they overlooked it. I just wish they'd caught it in internal testing, not in "Customer Testing"

Faye Feldragonne wrote:

Faye, when I initially opened the Merchant Outbox, I got that message too. But after it displayed, I dropped a folder into the Outbox and clicked "Send to Marketplace". Because it knew it hadn't finished initialization, it tried that step first .. and failed. After about 3-4 more tries to send the folder to MP, it initialized properly but failed to send. A few more tries later it completed perfectly. Since then I've uploaded a few folders (same product, just updating and running examples so I could document the process) and each subsequent one worked just fine.

My advice then is ... ignore the message, drop a sample folder in and keep "trying again later" until it finally takes. It should then get a bit more responsive and will work more often after that.

OK so i dont have 4.5k items on the marketplace but i do have a lot, and i was starting to get extremely frustrated that i couldnt delete the unassociated inventory quicker than one at a time, Or i would delete some, then come back later and they were all back, or half of them had been deleted. I ended up going to the Xstreet section to remove or update the magic box, deleted the first box that ihad emptied, came back to marketplace and resynced magic boxes, and voila, all unassociated items disappeared! only thing i can suggest is 1 box at a time copy items to invent, as you send them over to merchant box, delete them from your magic box folder...assuming you have copies....then do the hole "delete magic box" thing...hopefully that helps.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Random, try this:

1. COPY 100 items from a Magic Box into your Local Inventory.
  2. Copy those 100 items into the Merchant Outbox (probably best to do a few at a time)
  3. Send to Marketplace
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all 100 have been sent up to the Marketplace and are marked as "Direct" in the Manage Listings page
  5. Go back to your Magic Box and DELETE those same 100 items from the Magic Box
  6. Sync Marketplace with Magic Boxes

After you complete step 6 and give it a few minutes to complete the Sync, those 100 items you deleted from the Magic Box should ALSO be gone from Unassociated Inventory. Then just go back to step 1 above and do the NEXT 100 from that same Magic Box.

When you've fully emptied the Magic Box, delete the Magic Box from In-World. Next go into the Magic Box Status page and Force Remove the Magic Box you just deleted and .... Sync Marketplace with Magic Boxes one more time.

That should speed things up quite a bit and won't make you delete Unassociated one at a time.

Well said:)) [now after they dump the throttle things should be much easier]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.