Large purchase made on my account not by me

sagia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

What a shock to find out a large transaction was made on my account on March 10 and now my account is way down.  My account has been compromised.  I have reported this on Contact Support to get a case file number but what can we do to prevent this from happening.  If this can be done so easily it will be difficult to trust shopping in the future.

7 answers to this question

The only way that this can happen is if someone else knows your userid and password.  Immediately, change your password. >>> https://secondlife.com/my/account/password.php?lang=en-US , and take any necesary steps to be sure that nobody including your mother knows the new one.  Then file a support ticket with the selection  Account Issue >> I believe my account has been compromised.  That action will freeze your acount immediately until LL has investigated and done what is necessary to secure the acount again.

The first thing you should have done is change your password if your account was compromised.

Password security is your job.  Make it hard.  Change it often.  Don't tell anyone what it is.  Don't use the Remember Password feature to make logging in easy for yourself, particularly if you do not live alone.

ETA  Oh and avoid email phishing schemes.  If someone gives you a link inworld and you use it and get challenged for your SL password, DON"T ENTER IT

--Cinn

The only external Un-Authorized way to have funds removed from your Account, is to share your password, or, to be phished of your password by going to a fake Login page.( a third possibility of Risk, is to use mypassword as your password. Never do that)

Any internal loss may be covered, or, recovered by LL, and the funds May be restored.

Never share your password with any person.

Use the icon or link provided with the Viewer to access the login page, don't use search to find a SL Login page.

Phishing is on the rise in Second Life.  PLEASE read my blog post:

http://acrossthegridwithlindal.blogspot.com/2012/03/phishing-comes-to-second-life.html

I have seen two instances of this in group chat in the last week alone.  DO NOT enter your user name or password on ANY page that you open by clicking a link someone gives you.  ALWAYS open the Second Life website by browsing there yourself.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.