The resident who provided the previous content, if any, has replaced it with this generic statement.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Perhaps this could be applied (emphasis mine):

Disclosing Personal Information in Profiles, Forums or within Second Life

You may choose to disclose personal information in our online forums, via your Second Life profile, directly to other users in chat or otherwise while using Second Life. Please be aware that such information is public information and you should not expect privacy or confidentiality of this information.

(Privacy Policy: http://secondlife.com/corporate/privacy.php#privacy6 )

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i'm gonna take a guess and say those are covered by the TOS and community guidelines..

LOL - I see you're playing it safe on this one.

i went to the top of my browser and  clicked find..then typed in tinfoil and hat just to be safe heheheheh

Irene Muni wrote:

Perhaps this
could be applied
(emphasis
mine):

You may choose to disclose personal information in our online forums, via your Second Life profile, directly to other users in chat
or otherwise while using Second Life
. Please be aware that such information is public information and you should not expect privacy or confidentiality of this information.

(Privacy Policy:
)

i believe that is actually a warning from the privacy policy..that if you put it out there ..there are people that will use it..

don't blame us (meaning  LL) if you put it out there..

i remember the creator of red zone thinking that was LL giving him permission to do what he was doing..LOL

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Thank you for that Irene.  It's one of my favorites.  The Privacy Policy declares that anything you disclose is public information.  The Community Standards prohibit disclosing some of the same information.  Things that are prohibited aren't prevented.  I like to imagine how they would word things combined into a single document.

Totally agree. That was a veeeery long subject of debate in my Spanish forum. Of course without any conclusion except your conclusion: TOS and CS are contradictory on this point :)

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Irene Muni wrote:

Perhaps this
could be applied
(emphasis
mine):

You may choose to disclose personal information in our online forums, via your Second Life profile, directly to other users in chat
. Please be aware that such information is public information and you should not expect privacy or confidentiality of this information.

(Privacy Policy:
)

Thank you for that Irene.  It's one of my favorites.  The Privacy Policy declares that anything you disclose is public information.  The Community Standards prohibit disclosing some of the same information.  Things that are prohibited aren't prevented.  I like to imagine how they would word things combined into a single document.

aren't feeds part of the profile also?

4 Disclosure

Residents are entitled to a reasonable level of privacy with regard to their Second Life experience. Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed. Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited.

If I can see it without logging in, then its public info and I can share it. Usually, if there is no share button, I can't share.

If I can't find an actuall sentence/rule which says what is and whats not allowed in feeds, then I need to apply rules from something similar to feeds... We call it analogija and I believe your word is similar lol, analogy. Making a conclusion by similarity;)

if it were me i would treat them as in world chat logs..one reason is because users now have privacy settings for their profiles..

so i would say it's gonna fall under the conversation chat log area..

when in doubt just take the straightest safest path..thats what i'm gonna do lol

i'm not much of a ride the edge of the envelope rule skier..i try to make sure i am inside the rules far enough to where i feel safe..and that sounds like a safe distance to me..lol

hehehehe

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

How about the items LL feeds for you.  Suppose you just de-partnered and you're quietly making a few changes - like you update your profile photo so it's just u alone & that display name, gotta lose that.  But NO.  Instead of making a couple of quiet changes LL feeds that you made those changes to anyone following you.

If it's my feed shouldn't I be in control of it's content?

That's a really good point. I do think we should be able to opt out of the 'items LL feeds for you'. Exactly the scenario you described happened with one of my friends and of course as soon as I saw the name change I knew what had happened. I'm pretty sure she would have preferred not to broadcast that to every single person in her friend list.

As to the rules about sharing: dunno. I do know that in practice everything that appears on the feed is being shared as freely as the things that appear in these forum posts.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

How about the items LL feeds for you.  Suppose you just de-partnered and you're quietly making a few changes - like you update your profile photo so it's just u alone & that display name, gotta lose that.  But NO.  Instead of making a couple of quiet changes LL feeds that you made those changes to anyone following you.

If it's my feed shouldn't I be in control of it's content?

That's a really good point. I do think we should be able to opt out of the 'items LL feeds for you'. Exactly the scenario you described happened with one of my friends and of course as soon as I saw the name change I knew what had happened. I'm pretty sure she would have preferred not to broadcast that to every single person in her friend list.

As to the rules about sharing: dunno. I do know that in practice everything that appears on the feed is being shared as freely as the things that appear in these forum posts.

Right now the best option we have for that is to manually remove anything we don't want advertised on our feeds.  We just have to remember to go in and delete after LL publishes it for us.  I keep my feed relatively clean, I find it easier to locate specific threads if my feed is not filled up with 'loves' - most of those are removed just before I close my session.

• 2 weeks later...

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Irene Muni wrote:

Perhaps this
could be applied
(emphasis
mine):

(Privacy Policy:
)

I'm confused about why you're confused.

You can't disclose things about other people - things that are not your right to disclose.

If you disclose stuff about yourself, you make it public, and people can then spread that about.

Simple - same as privacy rights in RL.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

The feeds are part of the web profile.

They're part of the inworld profile too.

Well, there's an inworld web based profile & an inworld 'legacy profile' (for lack of a  better term)  & there's the pre-web profiles web based profile that's accessable inworld via LSL. 

So I was trying to point out that the feeds are part of the 'new web profiles' rather than the other various profiles that are around.

So we agree on that one for sure.

I just pretend all them thar ludite kindz-a folks is just not exist'n no more. ;)

But seriously, its easy for me to forget that LLs is still letting those old services work. Frankly given how radically profiles have changed in the last 2 years they shouldn't. Its things like this that make people believe LLs hasn't pushed things forward in a long time - those poor folks left behind on TPVs aren't seeing what the rest of us see.

And while folks might have legit concerns about how these profiles show up on the web and what one can do to mess with others there - what they look like inworld is just plain amazingly nicer than the old stuff in terms of what it lets you say about yourself, and what it lets you take ownership over vis-a-vis your "image".

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.