What should I call Appearance-created clothes?

Myra Wildmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm playing around with creating clothes. I've seen several different terms used for the clothes created from the Appearance controls. Is there a generally accepted term?

So far, I've seen the terms "slider clothes", "system clothes" and "clothing layers". If I want to make sure everyone knows what I'm talking about, is one term more commonly used than others?

Thanks

The term "system clothes" means clothes that are created in appearance mode, using the sliders, and by applying square textures from inventory to the surface. System clothes differ from "proper" clothes in that their textures are not custom made. Proper clothes use alpha textures that define the shape, where the hems sit, and have custom folds and shading created in a graphics program.

There is also system hair, system shoes, system eyelashes, system make-up. All are created in appearance mode, and all were once the only option SL avatars had. Gradually, we have learnt to hide these and replace them with better content.

"Clothing layers" refers to the texture layers that we all use to wear clothes. Skin, tattoos and alphas are also layers. Each layer covers a specific area of the avatar and some can overlap. Each layer also fits into a system of priority, in that some will automatically cover others- eg, jackets will cover shirts, pants will cover socks.

System clothes make use of these clothing layers, but proper textured clothes do too. The main difference is that in appearance mode, when the texture is applied to the new clothing part, the "proper clothes" will have a custom texture made specifically for that item, and won't rely upon the sliders to define the edges.

You can't really use the term "clothing layers" to refer to system clothes, as all clothes use them, system or not. Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

"Clothing Layers" is not a name for a style of clothing.  It's just the name of the collection of layers on which system clothes can be created.  I have been making clothing in SL fo nearly 5 years and have always called non-prim ("attachment") clothes "system clothes."   It's a pretty universally understood term. 

Personally, I have a hard time understanding the recent prejudice against them. Yes, there are some pretty crappy system skirts and blouses, but I have seen some equally crappy sculpty and mesh ones too.  A high percentage of the clothing that's sold in SL is created by amateurs with marginal talent, and it's worn by people who have no idea how to adjust or accessorize it.  It is difficult to do the texturing and shading -- folds, wrinkles, seams, buttons, and all -- that go into making good system clothes.  Despite 5 years of practice, I am by no means an expert myself, but there are plenty of designers in SL who are.  I will buy their clothes with no hesitation before I will take a second look at most sculpty and mesh clothing on the market today.

• Like 1

Tiffy Vella wrote:

The term "system clothes" means clothes that are created in appearance mode, using the sliders, and by applying square textures from inventory to the surface. System clothes differ from "proper" clothes in that their textures are not custom made. Proper clothes use alpha textures that define the shape, where the hems sit, and have custom folds and shading created in a graphics program.

There is also system hair, system shoes, system eyelashes, system make-up. All are created in appearance mode, and all were once the only option SL avatars had. Gradually, we have learnt to hide these and replace them with better content.

"Clothing layers" refers to the texture layers that we all use to wear clothes. Skin, tattoos and alphas are also layers. Each layer covers a specific area of the avatar and some can overlap. Each layer also fits into a system of priority, in that some will automatically cover others- eg, jackets will cover shirts, pants will cover socks.

System clothes make use of these clothing layers, but proper textured clothes do too. The main difference is that in appearance mode, when the texture is applied to the new clothing part, the "proper clothes" will have a custom texture made specifically for that item, and won't rely upon the sliders to define the edges.

You can't really use the term "clothing layers" to refer to system clothes, as all clothes use them, system or not. Hope this helps
:)

Thank you, Tiffy, for the very informative and clarifying reply. I'm back to calling them system clothes, then. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Pandora Fireguard wrote:

i call them system clothes.  i like making them but have a problem with the system skirt.  As i move, my legs  come through the skirt as if it is slit in the front and the back.    Maybe I will post this as an issue.

Yeah, that's one of the less attractive features of system skirts, especially the tight ones.  You can look really goofy dancing in them or walking with an anim that has a long stride.  (System skirts also give you a big butt, which you can get rid of only by downsizing your av's butt temporarily if you remember.)  I have several very attractive system skirts, though, and not just ones that I have made.  When I was a newbie, I bought a very lovely (and very sexy) system dress from Nicky Ree that I still wear a lot. It is just tight enough to accentuate my walk, but not enough to create that slit effect.  It's virtually impossible to make a prim skirt or a sculpty or mesh one that follows me the way that one does.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.