Qavimator Crashes when loading others BVH files

Elsie Broek

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

QAvimator tends to either display a corrupt model (e.g. the head is attached to the shoulder) or crash outright when the BVH file doesn't match Second Life's skeleton, or if there is anything at all odd about its formatting (e.g. extra channels).

Most BVH files can't be used for Second Life, or at least they can't without significant hacking around (in, for example, bvhacker) to 'port' them.

QAvimator is mostly useful for making static poses and sanity checking animations made for Second Life.  If you need anything 'fancy', including something that supports extra channels or advanced animation techniques (e.g. inverse kinematics) you'll need to use something else (e.g. Blender properly configured).

Qavimator does not have a way to reconfigure the skeletons. You would need to use another program to do this. Poser and Dazstudio both can, pretty simply, retarget any bvh to the SL skeleton. Poser is straight forward once you have the default SL avatar in the scene. Daz is similar but you might have to check the right options.

I've tried using Blender a while ago for other purposes and didn't realise it also did that. I don't think I can afford Poser. I'm trying to get the animations and poses created quickly, so I might checkout both Blender and DAZ later. In any case I guess I've give up on trying to import other BVH files for now, and just create the things from scratch. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Although it may depend on where the .bvh file comes from, but anytime I open a .bvh file in Qavimator, I immediately Optimize it to clear out the extra keyframes, and save as an .avm file.  Then I close and load the .avm file.  If you can get thru that process, you will be better off.

• 8 years later...

I tried a few of the animations because I was sure I'd looked at them a while back, and whilst Qavimator crashes, QavimatorBeta loaded all the randomly picked ones I threw at it. Of course, this won't help any of those who never got a download of QavimatorBeta before it got pulled.

One oddity I wasn't expecting however was when I tried the optimise-BVH tool the resulting file was larger than the original, not smaller.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.