Writing into notecard

Shihan Feiri

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have see services that use notecard infos based on individual person. In other words, notecard comes to agent with his name inside notecard, and some data connected with this avatar.

So, I wonder, what to use to be able trough script to write personal notecard in object prim and send them to someone.

I know for sending, but I recive eg. balanse trough notecard each day with personal info inside. 

Mybe is catch that this notecard are send trough bots, so in this case something else need be in action. One is sure, they can't be premade for sending in future becose info inside them is dynamic text

I seen a java bot tha can do that , the bot uses a list to send updated data notecards. There might be a plug in for metabolt for notecards,but as every one stated it is not a script making the notecards as there is no functions in data_server to wright to a card that i know of.

you can use a bot [as I have done] to get around this issue, even thou inworls thats based on SL code has notecard writing secondlife seems to hate adding support for usefull things, even a object level delay for creating and then writing a notecard would be better than having a avatar allways on a sim to create notecards.

• 7 months later...

Linden Lab could do it, but they have always refused to, mostly because it would add a lot to the asset server load.  Every time a notecard is created or edited, it gets a new UUID. The argument has always been that if scripters could edited notecards with LSL, we would be more likely to use them as volatile storage devices instead of using lists in our scripts.  Updates and new cards would be likely to happen much more often than people create notecards now, translating to a larger storage and data handling load in the servers.

• 2 years later...

If there is a throttle on the number of notecards that could be written by avatar could this not be lowered so that notecards could be written by scripts? I cannot see why you can create a notecard in an objects inventory and do nothing with it except give it or delete it . Does this not make the creation of a note card redundant if you can’t edit it? If LSL was to enable this could this not be given a low priority event so it works but is cached until server was ready. If you cannot create notecard can you not create an IM with this information? There are presumably limits here. Other than this there is SQL extensions for SL now that allow you to store information of SIM . They are not widely used at present but are starting to be used more and more.

VirtualKitten wrote:

If there is a throttle on the number of notecards that could be written by avatar could this not be lowered so that notecards could be written by scripts? I cannot see why you can create a notecard in an objects inventory and do nothing with it except give it or delete it . Does this not make the creation of a note card redundant if you can’t edit it? If LSL was to enable this could this not be given a low priority event so it works but is cached until server was ready. If you cannot create notecard can you not create an IM with this information? There are presumably limits here. Other than this there is SQL extensions for SL now that allow you to store information of SIM . They are not widely used at present but are starting to be used more and more.

What does this mean, and what are you trying to do? In particular, whatever does "SQL extensions for SL" mean?? Also, if an IM can substitute for a notecard in your application then, yeah, why not use an IM?

This thread was current three years ago, and there's now a relevant change coming Real Soon Now: Experiences come with a simple key-value-pair persistent store that's vastly preferable to using a notecard as if it were flat file data storage. There remains the specialized purpose of notecards for distribution to avatars, however, which could occasionally be useful for a script to write.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Bots are the way to go if you want to keep the information inworld. If it's simply storage, you can also use Google Drive, though  it takes some setting up. I made a notecard for this once (and yes, I see the irony of that in relation to this post)

Logging Stuff on Google Docs
====================

► Step 1: Setting up the Goodle Docs document

Example (entry ids and form id are fictional):

Create a form on Google Docs.

Add a field Key (type: Short answer text)
Add a field Name (type: Short answer text)
Add a field Date (type: Date & Time)

Fill in the example and then click the options (3 vertical dots) in the upper right and select "Get Prefilled Link". This will give you a link that looks something like this

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/2FFopTLSdTkkorMqRoPdefwWGk1gAboHb_AG2AF35X7jB1nUOHP9N6Rf/viewform?usp=pp_url&entry.90132327=4254e77a-62b8-47a4-beff-6823e73cc63c&entry.839710298=Ema+Nymton&entry.205968371=2020-04-14+20:25

This can be split up in the following elements:

• Base url: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/
• Form id: 2FFopTLSdTkkorMqRoPdefwWGk1gAboHb_AG2AF35X7jB1nUOHP9N6Rf
• Entry id for Key field: entry.90132327
• Entry id for Name field: entry.839710298
• Entry id for Date field: entry.205968371

Plus, you can see how all the formats are (like Ema+Nymton for the name); you can also use llEscapeUrl though.

► Step 2: Constructing the url:

Based on the information above, you need to create an url that contains the same format of data. The only thing that is different is that instead of viewform, you will use formResponse and you need to add "submit=Submit" at the end.

With the example above, our url would look like this:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/2FFopTLSdTkkorMqRoPdefwWGk1gAboHb_AG2AF35X7jB1nUOHP9N6Rf/formResponse?usp=pp_url&entry.948371827=4254e77a-62b8-47a4-beff-6823e73cc63c&entry.839710298=Ema+Nymton&entry.205968371=2020-04-14+20:25&submit=Submit

After that, all that remains is a simple llHTTPRequest with that url and Bob's your uncle and Ema's logged.

(Please note that IDs in this example have been randomly generated and are non-functional and Ema Nymton's name is fictional and any relation to a real Ema Nymton is unintentional yet epically cool )

Of course, this example was made for logging something like an avatar, but you can set up your own form as you see fit.

Edited by Bugs Larnia
Note that you can configure your form as you see fit
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1374 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.