Ding dong the wicked SOPA is dead! (maybe)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unfortunately, no.  SOPA is backed by the movie industry, and how does every monster movie go?  It lives again!

SOPA  Markup to Resume in February

Though even Google has info against these bills on their front page/doodles today (Jan 18th).  The risk is very real to Second Life.  We all know stuff copied from games and movies is rampant in SL.  All it takes is one complaint, and the Justice Department could vanish SL from the internet and cut off all credit card processing.  Linden Lab could contest that in court, but the SOPA law allows the government takedown with no notice, which is what makes it so dangerous.

???

have u actual read the bill?

which part of foreign and dedicated to the theft of U.S property do u think sl falls under?

DOMESTIC INTERNET PROTOCOL ADDRESS.— The term ‘‘domestic Internet Protocol address’’ means an Internet Protocol address for which the corresponding Internet Protocol allocation entity is located within a judicial district of the United States.

(5) DOMESTIC INTERNET SITE.—The term domestic Internet site'' means an Internet site for which the corresponding domain name or, if there is no domain name, the corresponding Internet Protocol address, is a domestic domain name or domestic Internet Protocol address.

FOREIGN INTERNET SITE.—The term foreign Internet site'' means an Internet site that is not a domestic Internet site.

For purposes of this section, a foreign Internet site or portion thereof is a ‘‘foreign infringing site’’ if—

(1) the Internet site or portion thereof is a U.S.-directed site and is used by users in the United States;

(2) the owner or operator of such Internet site is committing or facilitating the commission of criminal violations punishable under section 2318, 2319, 2319A, 2319B, or 2320, or chapter 90, of 14 title 18, United States Code; and

(3) the Internet site would, by reason of acts described in paragraph (1), be subject to seizure in the United States in an action brought by the Attorney General if such site were a domestic Internet site.

relief for the plaintiff

(5) RELIEF.—On application of a qualifying plaintiff following the commencement of an action under this section with respect to an Internet site dedicated to theft of U.S. property, the court may issue a temporary restraining order, a preliminary injunction, or an injunction, in accordance with rule 65 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,

relief for the defendant

(2) RELIEF.—Relief under this subsection shall be proper if the court finds that— (A) the foreign Internet site subject to the order is no longer, or never was, a foreign infringing site;

(iii) A statement under penalty of perjury that the owner or operator, or registrant, has a good faith belief that it does not meet the criteria of an Internet site dedicated to theft of U.S. property as set forth under this section.

can read the rest of it here: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr3261ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr3261ih.pdf

i just add here

is 3 bills now that usa looking at: sopa, pip and open, and existing laws like dmca, lanham and coypright

somewhere in all them is some good law that works for everyone. just needs be all pulled together

why u need any law?

bc if u dont then small ppl get crushed and they got no practical recourse and they get grind into dust. big ppl and corporations never get crushed or ground up

like for example. universal music has an agreement with youtube. that agreement autodeletes every vid that contain universal content off youtube that not sourced from universal. universal not have to monitor every youtube upload anymore. they had a big chit fight a while ago and that agreement the result and universal happy now

but what about say someone in sl who makes stuff like skins and clothes that always being ripped and uploaded and sold. be good if they could get the same deal with linden. but nah. linden say have to file dmca for every copy and u have to monitor everything urself. what happened in this actual case was the person gave up making stuff. was to hard bc they end up having to filing 100s of notices, over and over and over. most the infringers never contest and linden take down one day maybe when they get round to it. the person gave up bc was impractical for them to keep on having to do this. they just one person shop

linden say sorry but thats how the law works now. linden could make an agreement with that person to help them, and all their other makers as well. but nah. maybe just bc they not big enough individually to cause any problems. not like universal size anyways 

i love seeing all these sites getting involved..it's awsome..wiki and google alone should get the word out..

wiki lets you see for a split second then it goes black ..google has it's name blacked out ..you click on the black paqrt and it takes you to their aniti sopa pipa explinations..

love being part of what will be in history =)

Yeah, not sure about Google, but with Wiki, I've read it is available in all other languages, just blacked out for English...also, you can override the blackout page by hitting ESC, it will then come up if desperate for results.  But, I prefer to respect the blackout in support of the protest.

ya but i think the point is to let Americans know what it would be like to be blocked from places..because they are the ones that will be calling their senators and representatives..

we will be the ones getting cut off from sites in and outside of the U.S. if this passes..

they want Americans burning up petitions and phones to these people that  are hoping for our votes this coming election..

Obama knows the red alert word here is censorship..that would not be good for him to be signing anything that has to do with the word Censorship in an election year..

even though both sides want the internet..it's politics and they would burn him with it every chance they got..

and those reps and senators that vote for these bills or were fighting for them..they are already gonna have a hard time now..anyone wanting their seat will be spilling the beans on what side they were on in these censorship bills..

Could this SOPA bill take down foreign domain sites.? I understand they could block access from the States to that website though.

I think the U.S Govt was greatly embarassed by WikiLeaks.....and are now trying to assert more control over the Internet by dictating what's it's population can or cannot access to.

It's ironic that the U.S has slogans like the "land of the Free"....when in actual fact their citizen's civil liberties have eroded away over the last years, so much so....that's it's less "Free" than other Western democracies.

Rene Erlanger wrote:

Could this SOPA bill take down foreign domain sites.? I understand they could block access from the States to that website though.

I think the U.S Govt was greatly embarassed by WikiLeaks.....and are now trying to assert more control over the Internet by dictating what's it's population can or cannot access to.

It's ironic that the U.S has slogans like the "land of the Free"....when in actual fact their citizen's civil liberties have eroded away over the last years, so much so....that's it's less "Free" than other Western democracies.

the whole united thing is kind of a farce as well..i don't think you will ever find so many people in one place that are so divided..

only when something happens that we can all relate to do we ever really stand next to each other..otherwise for the most part..we fight like cats and dogs over so many distractions setup in front of us that are meant to be distractions..

the government loves the media keeping us divided so we can be easily conquered..

16 wrote:

For purposes of this section, a foreign Internet site or portion thereof is a ‘‘foreign infringing site’’ if—

(1) the Internet site or portion thereof is a U.S.-directed site and is used by users in the United States;

(2) the owner or operator of such Internet site is committing or facilitating the commission of criminal violations punishable under section 2318, 2319, 2319A, 2319B, or 2320, or chapter 90, of 14 title 18, United States Code; and

(3) the Internet site would, by reason of acts described in paragraph (1), be subject to seizure in the United States in an action brought by the Attorney General if such site were a domestic Internet site.

Yes, I read the bill.  Sec 102 (a) which you quoted, and I quoted above Second Life would fall under:

Second Life is a foreign internet site, odd as that sounds, because it's domain name registrar, Ascio Technologies, is located in the UK, which meets the definitions in the law if you read it carefully

(1) Second Life is a "US-Directed Site" because it meets definition (23), because it conducts business with US Residents.

(2) Second Life likely facilitates criminal violations of Title 18 because copyright violations are probably larger than $2500 retail value in any six month period, which is what it take to qualify for criminal infringement.  It only takes about 42 copies of a game character in a game that sells for $60 to reach that level.  Second Life is not doing the selling itself, but it *facilitates* it by having a marketplace and having ways to cash out for the seller.

(3) It's subject to seizure because it meets paragraph (1).

The tricky part is they are defining "foreign infringing site" as meeting the above conditions, not "foreign" as normal people would understand it.  It's a legal definition within the context of that section of the law, and makes no sense outside it.  But just because it makes no sense to normal people would not excuse you from being prosecuted under it.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Rene Erlanger wrote:

the whole united thing is kind of a farce as well..i don't think you will ever find so many people in one place that are so divided..

We're actually pretty darn united still when you compare us to a lot of places. From extremes like Sri Lanka where the majority Sinhala ethnicity waged a genocide against the Tamils for the last several decades, to lesser situations like actual separatist movements in the UK (Scotland) and Canada (Quebec).

Americans may not like each other, but we're not yet to a stage of splitting of open violence; though the right-wing side has begun some isolated attacks (such as flying a plane into an IRS building and the shooting of a Congresswoman).

thanks (:

now u explain that way, i can actual see that happening. am not sure how well that would go in court tho. but can certain see a lawyer arguing that one to a judge. can also see linden lawyer going absolutely purple about that. like can see the linden lawyer explain to the linden board that the other lawyer trying to get sl banned off the interwebz bc u all a bunch of notorious foreigners. they would probly go an even worse color (:

+

i not need say that i am opposed to ppl who rip other ppl off. i been pretty clear about that. i just think is wrong and if ppl just keep doing even after they been asked not to, then thats what we make laws for. if ppl not do bad stuff then not need any laws

is also a argument that laws only make the strong stronger. that kinda true as well sometimes. but if is nothing to govern their behaviour then they just get stronger and the weak get even weaker. i dont think thats fair either really

Well, I don't really agree that SL is rampant with actual violations, some for sure. The movie and recording industry will never stop. They have held the mindcontrol torch for a very long time, and a bunch of independent creators aren't going to phase them. We should be going at this in a completely different way. Not blocking or censoring ourselves. How fricken dumb is that? What we all need to do is show our creative friends that they don't need Sony Entertainment, or Warner Bros, or any of the other cartels that control the movie and music industry. They are old dead media which is trying to hang on by the thin thread they have left. Musicians and actors can make tons of money without being slaves to these cartels. Many of us see a small version of this here, in SL. With numerous unique sites ready to help fund and promote talent, the old model will never be able to compete, and the actual creative people, that get together to create the new content in this new age, will be the 1's rewarded, not unimaginative fascist cartels.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Rene Erlanger wrote:

the whole united thing is kind of a farce as well.I don't think you will ever find so many people in one place that are so divided..

We're actually pretty darn united still when you compare us to a lot of places. From extremes like Sri Lanka where the majority Sinhala ethnicity waged a genocide against the Tamils for the last several decades, to lesser situations like actual separatist movements in the UK (Scotland) and Canada (Quebec).

Americans may not like each other, but we're not yet to a stage of splitting of open violence; though the right-wing side has begun some isolated attacks (such as flying a plane into an IRS building and the shooting of a Congresswoman).

I'm not talking about sections of the country going into rebellion...I meant about your individual rights & freedoms as a singular person with all this current wave of U.S legislation. How do you like your Patriot Act for example?

N.B. Scotland have been wanting separate autonomy for 100's of years....it won't be a huge issue if they have their own Government...it might be better for both parties.

@Rene: I probably should have cut your part from what I quoted, because I was solely addressing Ceka's point about how united we are.

Sadly we're one of the most complacent nations on Earth. Americans will put up with -ANYTHING- our government does...

I'd laugh and say 'if they sent a bunch of us to camps in the desert, people would say 'what's all this then' and then go to work... but they've already done that a few times and that's exactly how people reacted...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.