Phoenix Viewer Questions

RoseBeMine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was using a different view originally and I just downloaded the phoenix viewer and I had a couple of questions.

1. How do I change view so that I can see the front of myself instead of the front? In my first viewer I would click on camera options and I could choose rear view, side view and front view. Where do I go now to find those?

2. In my old viewer I used to have a tabe called *destinations* and it would list hot places to go, the best chat places, the best music places etc. Is there a option like that on Phoenix?

Any other tips would be great!

Both features are v2/v3-specific, and therefore not available (or easy to implement) in a v1-based viewer like Phoenix.

You could manually set the camera for a front view, either in Preferences or through advanced debug settings... but then you'd have to also manually set it back to default values whenever you wanted rear view again. Easier solution? A scripted object (HUD or otherwise) with camera moving abilities and angle presets.

As for the Destinations, you can always browse its web-based source here.

This doesn't mean Phoenix is underfeatured... quite the contrary, it's got a [bleep]load of extended functionality compared to either the old v1 or the new v2/v3 official viewers; so many, in fact, that it'd be totally beyond the scope of a forum post to describe them all in sufficient detail. I suggest checking out the 'Phoenix' menu (before the 'Advanced' one) and the 'Preferences' > 'Phoenix' section, to get an idea of all those additional goodies... and then, for specific questions about what any of those mean, join the in-world Phoenix support group (there are several, for different languages).

Hi, in V1 viewers like Phoenix, the destination guide is there, but it still has the old Showcase name. Open search, then click on the Showcase tab.  You can also search on Destination Guide items using the All (Web) tab.

I have not seen s V1 with the new preset camera angles, but it would be a fairly small thing to add, especially compared with a beast like mesh support.

You can find information and downloads for the Phoenix and Firestorm viewers, as well as links to tutorials at www.phoenixviewer.com.  I love both viewers and greatly prefer them to the LL viewer.

Someone also mentioned joining the Phoenix/Firestorm Viewer Support Group inworld.  It's a great resource for all questions about the viewers, with friendly, helpful moderators and users in group IM to make suggestions and answer questions.

I'm not sure what happened to your avatar, but I don't think any viewer can "destroy" an avatar.

Phoenix viewer is based off of the status of SL 3 years ago - 2009 codebase.

It is missing many modern aspects of SL. Some things have been hacked into it, but to experience a current Second Life with those things that -are- features of the Phoenix community, switch to Firestorm.

Firestorm is their current viewer.

Phoenix is only still available for people that have issues with mobile cheese. ;)

The giant egg thing happens when the server can't figure out what you look like.

This is common when switching between viewer 1 and viewer 3 (or 2) - without using different cache folders.

Since nobody warned you that Phoenix was a viewer-1 viewer, I'd lay odds that you got your caches mixed up.

- I strongly suggest deleting your cache folder and letting SL make you a new one. Most errors do not require this even when people suggest it - but having a cache that is part v1 and part v3 will cause you 'issues' for months on end until you delete all incompatabilities.

(Normally when people intentionally install both a v3 and v1 viewer, they tell one to use a special different location for its cache.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.