A 'positive' loss

Six Igaly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here I was, ignorant and all, to buy me a nice script on the marketplace. It was delivered fast, placed it in some object, attached it and there I went. It worked well. Then I wanted to change some parts of it to give it my personal touch. I opened it and, and, wait! I've seen this before! Let me check my inventory! Some moments later... Dang! I have it here already, exactly the same but then as a FREEBIE! Check, check and re-check, yes definitely the same. So I first contacted the (IMO) original creator about it, the person I've bought it from for L$ 0. At first he had to laugh, 'so many ways to achieve the same', he said. True enough. Then I described some similarity that could not be coincidental. Now he (the original creator as I say) had nothing to laugh, action will be taken.
Next I notified the merchant who I've got the expensive one from. Not online or not shown online, so no answer yet. If I ever get one of course.

Now I am just thinking about warning one other customer who bought this script, well anyway, a person who left a review (and since I always try to think the best I can't allow myself to think this is just a friend of the merchant, but if so then this person knows as well I found out).
Any suggestions about this?

Leaves one question. Why did I buy a script I already have for free? I mean, it was such a kind of a script it was not possible for me to not knowing to have it.
And I did. I was just out for looking a more advanced one and in my experience it usually means a NON-Freebie. Well anyway, if it means a fraud is detected then in the end it was worth the L$ (quite a few!).

It is unfortunately very common for people to sell free stuff on SLM and in world. I've even heard of people selling plain plywood cubes! Various free scripts from the Library that are already in everyone's inventory frequently show up for sale for several hundred L$, and LL does nothing to speak of about such rip-offs.

Ceera Murakami wrote:

It is unfortunately very common for people to sell free stuff on SLM and in world. I've even heard of people selling plain plywood cubes! Various free scripts from the Library that are already in everyone's inventory frequently show up for sale for several hundred L$, and LL does nothing to speak of about such rip-offs.

omg i remember seeing on the market someone selling a torus as a doughnut..full perm so you could texture it and everything LOL

i think it was like 10L or 100L i forget..but it was funny seeing it..

things like that i can't tell if they are testing people or just really making a joke..

A while back I came across a freebie car near the vehicle sandboxes, it looked pretty well made but when driving it became obvious why it's a freebie.  Later on I found this same car in Market Place at least a half dozen times at ever increasing prices.  Makes me really hesitant of buying something on Market Place if I can't see it inworld in a long established store.

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

A while back I came across a freebie car near the vehicle sandboxes, it looked pretty well made but when driving it became obvious why it's a freebie.  Later on I found this same car in Market Place at least a half dozen times at ever increasing prices.  Makes me really hesitant of buying something on Market Place if I can't see it inworld in a long established store.

ya i don't shop from places on the market unless they are well established..so if they don't have an in world store..i'll bypass them..

i'm not gonna support only market sellers anyways..

in my opinion..the market should be used for demos and samples and things that help the grid population so that users will still use inworld stores and visit inworld places more than we do now..

i admit i will shop from the market if i am short on time..which has been the case lately..but it used to be a lot more interesting and rewarding hunting out the things in world..

it should be a catalog to the store..not a replacement for the world brick and mortar..

i'll admit i am just as much to blame for using it..but it's there and hard to resist at times hehehehe..

i will a lot of times though find things on the market and just go inworld..it's great for that..but should just be samples i feel..things like that..

I never buy something just like that on the marketplace. Always try to do my homework as good as I can. And besides that, if i find the article inworld i'd rather buy it there so the merchant receives his / hers 100 %. In this case it went different though.

But, things usually happen with a purpose :smileywink:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Ceera Murakami wrote:

omg i remember seeing on the market someone selling a torus as a doughnut..full perm so you could texture it and everything LOL

i think it was like 10L or 100L i forget..but it was funny seeing it..

things like that i can't tell if they are testing people or just really making a joke..

I do remember seeing "boxes" for sale, and it even had positive customer reviews.  Was wild!

But this does bring up a question, under the GPL licensing (or what ever the correct term for the open source licensing is), wouldn't it be illegal to sell a script from the library?  Could the person be reported for fraud?

Venus Petrov wrote:

There are many, many instances where people have taken freebie items (full perm) and set them for sale elsewhere.  Buyer beware.

As far as I know, unless you package a license with your freebie, this is not a TOS issue, just a case of extremely bad ethics.

So the lesson is to pack a license with your fullperm items, so that you can win an AR against the buggers when you catch them.

Its pathetic... but its also very common... for people to do this...

Ceera Murakami wrote:

It is unfortunately very common for people to sell free stuff on SLM and in world.

Yes, it happens in both places, it's not just Marketplace.  I remember my first month after visiting the Freebie clothing places and picking and chosing some free things.  Then I got my SL home and started seeking out yard sales.  Several yard sales were the same exact items I got for free when I was a noob, or turned down when I was a noob.  However, they put anywhere from 25 to 50 lindens in many places inworld that are the exact same free clothing on the "newbie island" free clothing places.   It's a learning experience.  About 90% of the items I buy whether MP or inworld seem legit to me though.  It's the design construction and the fit that matter to me.  I paid 700 lindens for this supposed designer dress that doesn't fit and does not adjust.  So well established doesn't always matter.  To me, 700 lindens for one dress is a lot, especially when it's a crappy design and not even made well. 

When I get a crappy item though, I then go and get some free cute items I can use on MP and it all evens out.  That's how I look at it anyways.  It all evens out in the end, and it's a learning experience.  One thing I do like about MP is it does give you a little more to think before purchasing because you can put it in your favorites area and store it, and a little more time to think didn't I see that somewhere before and wasn't that even a free item on Newbie Island, or let me try to picture how this is going to look unphotoshopped.  I think the advantage of MP is you get to view more of these items in a shorter time span and therefore get to know some of the really good designers with an excellent technique for creating.  I found more scamming inworld of the stuff that is already on the main freebie newbie sim clothing sims, but mostly yard sales, though there are tiny stores inworld with the same items that are in the main freebie island kind of stores. 

Beware of these yard sale dealers too if you are new.  I think we all learn over time. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.