Why is V3 soooo laggy?

Myra Wildmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've installed V3 and Firestorm on my PC. Firestorm works fine - in fact, it's pretty nice. But this latest V3 is soooo laggy. It's so laggy my typing in chat lags. My avatar lags just standing around. Everything I do on V3 is very, very slow and all my actions seem to lag, even something as simple as pulling up a chat window. (Streaming music seems fine, btw.)

Is there some sort of fix to this? I looked to make sure my graphics settings were okay and that sort of thing, but I'm not a pro at fixing these things.I did lower my graphics settings, but that didn't change anything, so I'm wondering if the issue isn't something else.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?Outside of using FS all the time. ; )

Thanks for any help

Slow chat windows and laggy movement are generally caused by connection or sim problems rather than viewer problems. The release version of Firestorm and Viewer 3.2.4 are very similar "under the hood" - all third party viewers are based to some extent on Linden Lab code. You might look at the settings in Firestorm versus the settings in Viewer 3 to see if there are differences there - they have different defaults.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Slow chat windows and laggy movement are generally caused by connection or sim problems rather than viewer problems. The release version of Firestorm and Viewer 3.2.4 are very similar "under the hood" - all third party viewers are based to some extent on Linden Lab code. You might look at the settings in Firestorm versus the settings in Viewer 3 to see if there are differences there - they have different defaults.

Theresa, I know for sure that it's not a sim or connection problem.

I tested it by standing around in my home and switching viewers. I'm not sure why Firestorm would be different, but I get totally different performance results with it.

FYI, I d/led and tried the lastest V3, last night, but it didn't help, in fact it seemed worse.

Myra Wildmist wrote:

I tested it by standing around in my home and switching viewers. I'm not sure why Firestorm would be different, but I get totally different performance results with it.

FYI, I d/led and tried the lastest V3, last night, but it didn't help, in fact it seemed worse.

If you are keeping different cache folders for each viewer, that could be the reason. If items aren't in the cache performance will suffer.

Mine is laggy too. I can barely walk around at all. I turned on the lag meter and it goes red at the client light when i start to walk. It says, " To many complex objects in scene." Then it says," Possible cause images loading" . So maybe it's the cache folders. I'm not sure which ones so i cant fix it myself. But let me know if you figure out what's wrong.

Sephy McCaw wrote:

try disabling opengl vbo in prefs and see if that does any thing for you.

That fixed it! Way to go, Sephy.

I noticed the tooltip for opengl vbo says something about better performance on older computers. My computer is pretty new - 8 months old, running Win 7 with a ATI 5700 series (Had to check my computer info...), so perhaps they should update the tooltip to say something about newer computers getting bad performance, too. grrr

As another side note, when I turn voice on in V3, I can't move. It seems that the coding that handles the voice function gets stuck in a never ending loop which lags the whole viewer. When I turn voice off, everything is fine. Last I checked, I don't have the same problem in the Firestorm viewer.

• 3 years later...

Okay I know this post was in 2011, but I still have the same problem today in 2014. I am not sure how to turn off the "opengl vbo" in preferences. I know it is in preferences but I do not know where to click inside it-___-. Could someone help me please? I am red in the client frame rate of the lag metre, which says my climate frame rate is below 10.

vbo.JPG

ReneeRozayJR wrote:

Okay I know this post was in 2011, but I still have the same problem today in 2014. I am not sure how to turn off the "opengl vbo" in preferences. I know it is in preferences but I do not know where to click inside it-___-. Could someone help me please? I am red in the client frame rate of the lag metre, which says my climate frame rate is below 10.

Preferences>Graphics>Advanced>Hardware

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.