Thanks and Intro

AliceOneders

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I’ve been lurking here for a while and want to first say how much I’ve appreciated these forums.  The frequent posters – even those with scathing commentary – have been endlessly helpful to me.   I even appreciate opinions which seem to be off-base at times because they make me realize how important communication is in a virtual world.  So thank you for the time you take out of your day to provide assistance to the rest of us.  I, for one, appreciate it, even if I’ve never spoken up about it until now.   I especially want to thank the builders and scripters who’ve made SL such an amazing place.  I’d also like to thank those reading who may have helped me or any of my alts in-world too.  You don’t know who I am and I don’t know who you are, but it’s sincerely appreciated.  Think of anyone you helped lately and imagine it was me and know that the compliment is warmly given. 

I’m a noob, so I don’t know how much I can add to the dialogue around here, but I’ll try to give an opinion and ask questions when I can.  I just wanted to introduce myself – oh, I haven’t really told you anything about myself yet, have I?  I’m so socially bereft sometimes.  There are even times when avas think I’m flirting when I’m trying to just appreciate boldness in-world.  My wife would tell you that I have extreme difficulty expressing myself sometimes but she finds it endearing.  Thank goodness for small favors, eh?  Anyhow, I’m a noob, I’ve just been stumbling around (lots of missteps) in a few adult areas and art venues and feeling awed and just a bit intimidated about everything.    I have a hard time breaking the ice with others.  It’s kind of absurd, really.  Any suggestions on how I might try to proceed in-world?  I’m open to pretty much anything.  I’ve done a little bit of rp, but am nowhere near good at it yet.  Looking for a friendly group to rp with, not looking for drama if I can help it.   Thanks!

welcome to the forum posting AliceOneders! :)

fortunatly, the spirit of helping is very widespread in SL, one idea is that you pass on the help that you recieve to somebody else in need, i think thats one of the motivation that drives it. im glad you have find many jewels here in the forums, i do find them every day just as you do.

dont worry about the intimidation feeling, is that you are adapting to this strange world, in a few that feeling will go away and you will feel yourself like a native.

you are welcome to comment as much as you want, looking forward to read your opinions in different subjects.

AliceOneders wrote:

Thanks for the welcome, guys.  Not sure how to feel about the rickroll link. . . Right now I'm got in mind a more urban RP environment, but I'm open to other RP environments too if they might be a better fit given my limited RP experience.  Thanks.

Someone just posted in the Role Play forum an urban type RP group that is now recruiting.  I'm fairly shy and I start laughing at myself so hard that I can't type or keep up with RP.  It sounds like fun though! 

What is a rickroll? 

Ima Rang wrote:

AliceOneders wrote:

Thanks for the welcome, guys.  Not sure how to feel about the rickroll link. . . Right now I'm got in mind a more urban RP environment, but I'm open to other RP environments too if they might be a better fit given my limited RP experience.  Thanks.

Someone just posted in the Role Play forum an urban type RP group that is now recruiting.  I'm fairly shy and I start laughing at myself so hard that I can't type or keep up with RP.  It sounds like fun though! 

What is a rickroll? 

This is a rickroleplay... right?

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

AliceOneders wrote:

What is a rickroll? 

...Dres

I had to google it...From Wikipedia:

Rickrolling is an Internet memeinvolving the music video for the 1987 Rick Astley song "Never Gonna Give You Up". The meme is a bait and switch; a person provides a hyperlink seemingly relevant to the topic at hand, but actually leads to Astley's video. The link can be masked or obfuscated in some manner so that the user cannot determine the true destination of the link without clicking. Persons led to the music video are said to have been rickrolled. Rickrolling has extended beyond web links to playing the video or song disruptively in other situations, including public places, like a surprise appearance of Astley himself in the 2008 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York. The meme has helped to revive Astley's career.

I did not know that...Huhn...learn something new everyday.

Ima Rang wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

AliceOneders wrote:

What is a rickroll? 

...Dres

Rickrolling
is an
involving the
for the 1987
song "
". The
is a
; a person provides a
seemingly relevant to the topic at hand, but actually leads to Astley's video. The link can be masked or obfuscated in some manner so that the user cannot determine the true destination of the link without clicking. Persons led to the music video are said to have been
rickrolled
. Rickrolling has extended beyond web links to playing the video or song disruptively in other situations, including public places, like a surprise appearance of Astley himself in the 2008
in New York. The meme has helped to revive Astley's career.

Oh my... I thought everyone knew that.  I guess you do learn something new every day. wink-kiss.gif

...Dres

AliceOneders wrote:

I’m a noob

Awwww. A cute, tender youngun. Welcome! Nice intro! smiley-greet004.gif

I had to laugh when you said you are interested in RP, have wandered around some adult sims, and are up for almost anything. Um. I wouldn't put those exact words on your profile or you might be in for quite an adventure! Speaking of profile, it is a good idea to start working on yours if you haven't.  That can be an ice breaker right there. 

You can type an avatar's name into "search" and find out if they are online. I like helping lil noobs and I'd be happy to chat with you. There's a chunk of ice broken. 

Ima Rang wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

What is a rickroll? 

...Dres

Rickrolling
is an
involving the
for the 1987
song "
". The
is a
; a person provides a
seemingly relevant to the topic at hand, but actually leads to Astley's video. The link can be masked or obfuscated in some manner so that the user cannot determine the true destination of the link without clicking. Persons led to the music video are said to have been
rickrolled
. Rickrolling has extended beyond web links to playing the video or song disruptively in other situations, including public places, like a surprise appearance of Astley himself in the 2008
in New York. The meme has helped to revive Astley's career.

Guessed it was something like that when the next video in line was "Stewie gets rickroll'd"

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Ellyn Elan wrote:

Ima Rang wrote: I'm fairly shy  

smiley-laughing021.gif

as shy as a Mac truck is subtle.

Would you believe that I was shy? I am, so I have no problem believing that Ima could be...

I am commenting upon my own experience of this avatar on the Internet. As such, my original smiley-laughing021.gifis highly accurate as you know very well. YMMV. I don't find you shy on the Internet either and that is my only experience of you, too. 

Ellyn Elan wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Ellyn Elan wrote:

smiley-laughing021.gif

Would you believe that I was shy? I am, so I have no problem believing that Ima could be...

I am commenting upon my own experience of this avatar on the Internet. As such, my original 
smiley-laughing021.gif
is highly accurate as you know very well. YMMV. I don't find you shy on the Internet either and that is my only experience of you, too. 

I certainly am... but I RP not being shy pretty well, don't I?

...Dres

Fair enough. I was talking about my own shyness IRL. Perhaps Ima was, too, I don't know. The Internet can help some overcome shyness, though even some of my own avatar friends would say that I'm very shy.

@Dres: Yes, you do!

@Alice: Sorry to continue this derail. Welcome to SL and to the Forum.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ellyn Elan wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Ellyn Elan wrote:

smiley-laughing021.gif

I am commenting upon my own experience of this avatar on the Internet. As such, my original 
smiley-laughing021.gif
is highly accurate as you know very well. YMMV. I don't find you shy on the Internet either and that is my only experience of you, too. 

...Dres

You do!  The few times I have tried RP'ing...I feel my face flush and then I start laughing and it is a no go for me. 

I guess if I spent enough time with a small group that felt like friends and community, perhaps I could overcome it enough to RP...but I would not bet on it :D

Ima Rang wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Ellyn Elan wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Ellyn Elan wrote:

smiley-laughing021.gif

smiley-laughing021.gif

...Dres

You do!  The few times I have tried RP'ing...I feel my face flush and then I start laughing and it is a no go for me. 

I guess if I spent enough time with a small group that felt like friends and community, perhaps I could overcome it enough to RP...but I would not bet on it
:D

I'm actually not all that good at RPing myself and I am rather shy when I'm not posting on a forum or a blog or something... that is, unless I'm around people I'm comfortable with...

...Dres (...or if I've been drinking, of course... lol.)

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Oh my... I thought everyone knew that.  I guess you do learn something new every day.
wink-kiss.gif

...Dres

The mods obviously don't! They call it "

" and issue a permanent ban with no prior warnings.

Perhaps Rik Rolar should have confined his game to the Games event subforum . . .

. . . they could do with some action there; the tumbleweed is even getting bored.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...delurkment...

A fine word I nearly adopted for the week :-) The trekkie 'uncloaking' sounds so much dirtier though, don't you think :-)

@OP - Teleport to Kuula sim, home of NCI for help and freebies, to discuss helping, generally chat and have a good place to build and hang-out.  Oh - and grief Immy, she enjoys it so much (*ducks*)

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

@OP - Teleport to Kuula sim, home of NCI for help and freebies, to discuss helping, generally chat and have a good place to build and hang-out.  Oh - and grief Immy, she enjoys it so much (*ducks*)

I might hold off on RPing for a bit longer and take up your suggestion just because I'm so easily swayed.

But I have to insert - if Immy likes griefing, what motivation would I have to do it?  

AliceOneders wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

I might hold off on RPing for a bit longer and take up your suggestion just because I'm so easily swayed.

But I have to insert - if Immy
griefing, what motivation would I have to do it?  

:-) The best thing about trying to be clever around Immy is that it gives her a reason for showing-off just how much more/better she can do.  That really is an education in SL, and usually quite a bit of fun :-) ... You do like Pianos falling on your head and that sort of thing, don't you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4538 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.