Graphics Card question - GeForce GTX560 - will it work with SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not a geek so apologise in advance for any inadvertent technical stupidity..

My husband is building me a mid range gamer PC so I can run SL with less frustration than I currently do on my 3 year old MacBook Pro.    He has bought an Asus GeForce GTX560 1Gb GDDR5 Video Card (Direct CU).  This is to go with an Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard, a Corsair GS600 PSU, a Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 RAM, a Western Digital 1Tb Caviar Black HDD, and an AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Processor.  There are various other odds and ends like DVD writers etc, and all is in a Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid Tower Gaming Chassis.  Not being a techie I have no idea of how any of this other stuff impacts on the Video card (sorry..) but would like opinions as to whether the video card chosen will run SL (I cant find it on the SL wiki, and live help was not wildly helpful).  Bottom line, do I need to change the video card?

.... on the other hand that AMD Phenom II x6 1100T is pure overkill! SL can't handle 6 cores. That processor won't do any harm but itt won't be of any use either.

So, here's my suggestion: Take a proci with less cores but higher frequency, and use the saved money to invest into a 570 or 580 gpu.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Unfortunately, Rudi, I was informed not long ago that questions posted anywhere other than the appropriate forum (Answers), cannot be moved there after the fact.   Oh well. 

Then the question threads should be deleted as soon as they are identified, so that they don't clutter up inappropriate forums, and the OP told to repost their question in the Answers section manually.

Well, that is just my opinion.

Rudi

RudolphUkka wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Unfortunately, Rudi, I was informed not long ago that questions posted anywhere other than the appropriate forum (Answers), cannot be moved there after the fact.   Oh well. 

Then the question threads should be deleted as soon as they are identified, so that they don't clutter up inappropriate forums, and the OP told to repost their question in the Answers section manually.

Well, that is just my opinion.

Rudi

I register that remark.  I long ago stopped identifying them to the appropriate personnel once I wsa told it was rather useless to do so. 

i have an even older card than that. Ge force 9800GT. This is a dual core card with ! GB of memory DDR3. if you have that (Yes, you do) then you will have no problems with graphics. Everything else just means you computer will be up to date, hold as much info and programmes as anything else around and should be fairly quick. NO, you DO NOT have to change the graphics card. ( unless you want to swap it with mine :)))

Orca Flotta wrote:

.... on the other hand that AMD Phenom II x6 1100T is pure overkill! SL can't handle 6 cores. That processor won't do any harm but itt won't be of any use either.

So, here's my suggestion: Take a proci with less cores but higher frequency, and use the saved money to invest into a 570 or 580 gpu.

Smart post.  

Eleseren Brianna wrote:

(so shoot me)

Why "shoot me" when Rudi already told you that in his opinion you posted in the wrong forum?  You are being helped anyway so there is no reason to snip at anybody, especially for your mistake.   This is the general discussion forum where *you* posted so all opinions are welcome.  Rudi could have wrote to advise you to RTFM or read the SL Wikis and help yourself, but he did not.  

Storm, yes I made a mistake, i tried to figure out where to post (look at how many times I have actually posted to realise I hardly know my way around this place).  Fine to tell me I made a mistake - however...

I didnt like

his tone

which was finger wagging and patronising

no need for that

Yes, and I am genuinely grateful for the helpful people who did post here

Eleseren Brianna wrote:

Storm, yes I made a mistake, i tried to figure out where to post (look at how many times I have actually posted to realise I hardly know my way around this place).  Fine to tell me I made a mistake - however...

I didnt like

his tone

no need for that

Then all i can

say is that your

tone is no 

better.

storm

Eleseren Brianna wrote:

I didnt like

his tone

no need for that

As well as having little

sense of humour you have put the

asterisks in the wrong

places - although Storm got them

perfect.

Rudi

RudolphUkka wrote:

Eleseren Brianna wrote:

I didnt like

his tone

no need for that

As well as having little

sense of humour you have put the

asterisks in the wrong

places - although Storm got them

perfect.

Rudi

Hey guys, could you please post your messages more tightly? My mouse is getting angry with me as I have to constantly and extensively use the middle mouse button to scroll, scroll and scroll. Thank you very much. :smileytongue:

funnyphotoshopped1.jpg

may I suggest that

Linden Lab deletes all the different

subforums and instead puts it all in

one?

As I am very

tired of

having to switch to different

subforae all the

time

That machine is actually a bit overkill if all you are running is sl so it should run just fine.

As for the subforum thing, I didn't even know there was one so I wouldn't take much heart to the chatter about it. I don't understand why so many get there panites in a bunch over posts in the general discussion forum, unless its spam.

The 1100T is pretty cheap now, under $200. It's also a 3.3GHz processor (and a Black Edition so it can be overclocked if you are so inclined); you can't get much faster than that per core in the AMD family, except in the new Bulldozer line which has its own problems. You could get a bit better SL performance with a high-end Intel processor, but if you choose to go with AMD you can't really do better right now, and you can't save a huge amount of money by going with something else.

That combination of hardware is also in line with Shirley's Rule of system balance for Second Life - spend about the same amount of money on the CPU and the video card. Shadow rendering has thrown that off a bit; now you can justify spending more on video than the rule would specify. And it's always been questionable at the high end (over $500); CPUs hit diminishing returns, whereas you can buy more video performance with SLI or CrossFire (though sadly not as much as one might like; they're much more effective for full-screen programs than for windowed ones).

Finally, although a six core CPU is overkill if you're JUST going to run SL (three cores seem to be about as many as the viewer can use effectively), it helps if you're planning to run other applications at the same time. That's especially true for content creators who might like to have Photoshop or GIMP or Blender or Maya or (add your own favorite content creation app here) open at the same time as SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.